Bryan, Primer and ephedrine

Janne

Bryan, in one of your posts, you mention that insulin counter acts the effect of ephedrine as a dietary supplement. Since I only use ephedrine as a pre-workout simulant, I was wondering if insulin inhibits its stimulatory effect as well? Once a week, I take 50 mg ephedrine and 250 mg caffeine 20 min before I hit the gym in order to get wired up, and then a shake with 1 serving of Primer and 37 g glucose polymeres immediately before I begin lifting. Do you think I should adjust the amount of carbs and/or protein in order to keep the shake from interfering with the ephedrine-boost?

naaaah if carbs remain too high they hinder fat loss but you still get the central nervous system stimulation either way. Thats my 2 cents.

From what I understand, a high carbohydrate diet increases the brain's production of serotonin. Hence, there's a relationship between hormones, like insulin, and neurotransmitters, like Seratonin. And since Seratonin is known to make you sleepy, this suggests that carbs might counteract the stimulatory effect of Ephedrine.

Hi Janne,
You will still get the stimulatory effect. But it is not coming from the ephedrine so much as the caffeine.

Why do you only do this once per week? Do you only train once per week?

The Primer will ensure that you get the desired effect from the caffeine/ephedrine. The effects are tied to pathway tyrosine>norep/ep>dopamine.

With or without carbs you will still get the emotional and stimulatory effect. You just don't get the lipolytic effect as long as the insulin is high from carbs.

If you use E/C too long without food it won't provide that positive sense of "lift". It will only make you feel anxious. Supplementing with additional tyrosine seems to help as well.

Thank you for your answer, Bryan, I appreciate it. Just a few more things...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You will still get the stimulatory effect. But it is not coming from the ephedrine so much as the caffeine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Why not from the Ephedrine? Because of the pre w/o shake?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do you only do this once per week? Do you only train once per week?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No, I train three times per week, but I only take the EC-stack once per week since I want to avoid downregulation of the stimulant effect. I take the shake before every workout, though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Primer will ensure that you get the desired effect from the caffeine/ephedrine. The effects are tied to pathway tyrosine&gt;norep/ep&gt;dopamine. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is why I take 1 g of L-Tyrosine with the EC-stack on an empty stomach. I was under the impression that if you want to increase the concentration of specific amino acids in the brain, you should take those amino acids by themselves, separate from meals, since they compete for the same blood-brain barrier transport molecule. However, if I take the EC-stack and Tyrosine 20 min before I take the shake, I suppose the Tyrosine will be transported without interference from the aminos in the shake?

I don't mean to split hairs here, this is just one of those things I can go back and forth in my head about without reaching a conclusion. On the one hand, I recognize that supplying protein pre w/o is great for supporting training induced protein synthesis, but on the other hand, no (legal) supplement comes even close to the effects of Ephedrine before training - I typically experience at least 10% gains in strength.

Back