Building Muscle

Old and Grey

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of new people seem to have come onto this site recently and quite a few have lamented about their lack of results. They are hoping that HST will provide the magic bullet to suddenly transform them into the Incredible Hulk. It won't. If you have not been gaining muscle on other programs, chances are you won't gain a whole lot more with HST unless you have never deconditioned your muscles before. Chances are you have other problems. That's the bad news.

The good news is that building muscle is not rocket science either. For what it is worth, here is a quick summary of what I have concluded after almost a half century of lifting. I just wish I had known most of this a long time ago.

To get the type of body you want, four basic elements need to be present in the following order of importance, in my opinion:

*Enough Testosterone production to build muscle,
*A good diet
*Enough rest
*A good exercise program

There is absolutely no reason not to meet criteria #1 in today's environment. Take a simple blood test and if you come out low, see an endochronologist. Don't equate this to 'taking steroids'. If you are low in T production, you will be given enough medication to bring you up to normal levels. Under the worst case scenario,  the amount of medication given will be about 1/10th of what a minor league steroid user takes. However, if you don't have enough T production yourself and correct that situation, I can give a 200% money back guarantee that you will never see satisfactory gains.

Diet is just common sense. Eat enough protein and good fats to help build muscle. Trans fats do not build muscle and can lower your T levels even more. So can alcohol. I never gained muscle when I drank  a lot. I merely staved off the beer belly. Carbs are the only debateable food group. If you are more than 10 pounds under the weight you want to be, go for them. If not, I think one is better off limiting them to under 200 grams per day. If you want to count calories and content, and you should (within reason, of course), try the counter at FitDay.Com. It's pretty good.

Rest includes more than sleep. It means being as reasonably stress free as one can expect. Stress produces cortisol which raises havoc with building muscles. Cortisol is much better at building fat. Find ways to lower stress in your life. We all have our own unique stresses in life but very few of us know how to limit their detrimental effect. Learn to live with managing stress or stay small.

Any exercise program that doesn't lead to injury is beneficial. HST makes the most sense to me since Bryan took the time to condense hundreds of studies down to a few basic principles. Follow these principles if you want to maximize growth. Don't get hung up on finding the perfect workout routine. It doesn't exist as our bodies are constantly changing. Stick with basic compound movements and throw in some isolations for arm, calfs and traps if it makes you feel better. Spend the time you do now contemplating the benefits of incline bench over flat bench on planning your meals for the day. And keep in mind that, unless you have extremely high T levels, i.e., above 1500 ng/dl, less sets is usually better than more sets. 60 sets per week is my absolute maximum per week and actually half that volume produces the same results for me. Once you get that 'pumped up' feeling in your muscles, doing more will only create the need for a longer 'rest' period when what you really need is more frequency. "DOMS is for Dummies." Sorry Vince! Despite what some people will say, you don't have to "pay your dues" by working out 2-3 hours per day, 5 to 6 days per week.

Lacking any one of the four will cause you to fail or, at best, have frustratingly slow gains.

To summarize:

*Check T production
*Eat well
*Manage stress
*Exercise sanely

Enough preaching for this Sunday. I got horses waiting to try and buck these old bones into the dust.  
laugh.gif

How does your diet affect your workouts/physique with the higher percentages of fat?

I've thought of eating lower amounts of carbs, like 1 : 1 to protein or so, and having more healthy fats in my diet. Most people around here say to go more carbs though for glycogen compensation and growth. I find eating that way makes me less 'stable' during the day. My energy, mood, etc. is swung around a bit. I tend to eat 3 meals besides pre/post workout, so they are all high carb meals.

I would imagine the high percentage of fats would lead to more stable energy levels, less inflammation possibly, more lubricated joints?

Great post, O & G!!!

It's really great to read a summarizing post by a lifting master, such as yourself.
worship.gif

Cheers.

O & G

Great post :D

It is about time someone actually beats down this troden pathway!

As he says there is "solomon's treasure" which is perhaps evading you for wathever reason
butbut.gif
, the simple facts have been stated
laugh.gif

Tweaking varies with time and body composition, it is indeed of tremendous use...but whne first starting HST, this is the recipe:

1 - Workout RM's for each rep scheme.
2 - SD for at least 9 days (easy...stop friday and start the following monday)
wow.gif
, not doing this will definitely hamper results...besides...
dozingoff.gif
what's the big deal ? You were not born with weights attached to you neither do you eat sleep and live in a gym so what can be so complicated?
butbut.gif
- Most of us are lacking in the attention we give to our better halves, how about using this time to do that, take the old gal out to eat, go watch a good movie or theatre enjoy life...then re-start the old iron game, but take it easy there is more to life than pumping weights.
3 - Use the given rep scheme first (15-10-5-5) only change this after you have done at least 4 cycles and followed closely the main rules.
4 - If you are from the old school then start using tweaks as you feel, within reason suppersetti8ng is generally good.
5 - Avoid falling into a trap similar to GVT, this is a full body program and therefore the volume should be somewhat limited.
6 - Avoid failure on any set, get close but don't push it.
7 - The main purpose is to do one working set, so if your 2nd or 3rd sets are not reachable (in terms of the reps, don't fret, stop where you should)

thumbs-up.gif
Man...this just about sums it up, just to give O & G some backing, and this is directed to those overeager disciples and former HIT'ers.
happy.gif

Ciao

great post O&G!
worship.gif
worship.gif

Fausto, you mentioned that one who is new to HST shouldn't bother with tweaking until they completed four cycles. Any need for that many until tweaking.. I was thinking about doing two regular cycles till I pull some tips from Vicious' pimp my HST e-book.
wow.gif

As usual, great stuff O&G! I'm getting ready to give your plan a shot - less volume and more frequency. But first I gotta make it through my longest SD ever - 17 days! This outta be fun - LOL :confused:

Firm

Colby

There are exceptions to the case, if you are real old schoold and have been to that scenario before then go right ahead, one is just advising caution if you know what I mean!

Fausto

Lance, the more fat one eats. the leaner he will become. Dr. Atkins had it right except he forgot to differentiate between good (essential) fats and bad fats. Fats provide energy. They help the body to burn stored or subcutaneous fat. They're also necessary for hormone production (including testosterone). To get that "cut" look, one has to increase his intake of Omega 3 fats. Many books have been recently authored on the benefits of good fats. They range from increased libido to improved autoimmune functions.

So, in answer to your question, I think you should probably increase your intake of good fats and decrease your intake of carbs and bad fats. I would shoot for about 20% of my calories coming from good fats. On a 3,000 calorie 'budget", that is only about 65 grams of good fats.

I made a post about this earlier this morning without a response. Can I get a definiton/link/listing of good fats vs. bad ones? :confused:

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 11 2005,12:28)]Lance, the more fat one eats. the leaner he will become. Dr. Atkins had it right except he forgot to differentiate between good (essential) fats and bad fats. Fats provide energy. They help the body to burn stored or subcutaneous fat. They're also necessary for hormone production (including testosterone). To get that "cut" look, one has to increase his intake of Omega 3 fats. Many books have been recently authored on the benefits of good fats. They range from increased libido to improved autoimmune functions.
So, in answer to your question, I think you should probably increase your intake of good fats and decrease your intake of carbs and bad fats. I would shoot for about 20% of my calories coming from good fats. On a 3,000 calorie 'budget", that is only about 65 grams of good fats.
20% of your calories coming from good fats? This does not include all your fats, correct?

What i was looking at doing was getting my 1g/lb of protein, throw in some fruits, and the rest come from good fats. Fats from eggs, walnuts, and meat. Get some fish oils too for coverage. Maybe move from the eggs and meat to free range after a little while if money is allright.

This way, i'd be getting 1g/lb of protein, a small amount of carbs, and the rest fats. I wasn't planning on really counting calories too much, just adjust the diet as things happen. Add more fats for more calories, take away some for less calories.

With a small amount of carbs though, i fear being glycogen depleted, looking flat. I work out 5xweek full body, so glycogen stores are at a premium. Speaking of which, i'm going to PM you about higher frequency training, and short cycles.

Can mono/poly unsaturated fats be considered as omega 3/6 fats to any degree?
For example, if a food says its serving contains:

FAT 30
sat 5
mono 15
poly 10

Would there be any omega 3/6 within the 25 grams of the non saturated fat?
I hardly ever see a nutrional information label saying a food contains omega fats. Only saw that on whole wheat bread and milk. Otherwise no.
I supplement with about 9 grams of fish oil and 9 frams of flaxseed oil per day (capsule form).
Reading that article about getting in 2-3 table spoons worth would get way too pricey to take in via capsules.
So yeah, I guess my question remains:
Are there any omega 3/6 fats within the unsaturated fats?
If yes - what's the ratio? (I guess it would depend on the food though)
If no - how do you get your "adequate" fill of these EFAs, without raping your wallet?

All Omega 3's are polyunsaturated but not all polyunsaturated are omega 3's or 6's.

The ratio's do depend on the food.

If you are taking in 9 Gms of Fish Oil and Flax Oil then you are probably getting enough.

There are a ton of threads in the Supplements and Diet and Nutrition section on EFA, DHA, EPA, PUFA, and other stuff about fats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey Posted on July 11 2005 @ 12:28)] Lance, the more fat one eats. the leaner he will become.

Before people start jumping up and down and screaming, I am sure O&G meant within reason and depending on overall energy consumption.

O & G

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They range from increased libido to improved autoimmune functions.

Hell man...I am living proof of that...specially the libido part, not that I was ever short of it, being latin and all...but for crying out loud, it is driving me crazy LOL
laugh.gif

Usually our better halves cannot put up with it either, so you feel like your belongings are gonna burst LOL
laugh.gif

The flu too, did not get hold of me yet this winter (touch wood)
laugh.gif
. So improved autoimmunity is also a fact.
thumbs-up.gif

Excellent article mate!

Fausto

Ok

I am throwing a "spanner in the works", let us have a table with all the major muscle groups and what type of workout one should give each :D

By this I mean, does muscle respond to high volume better or to high weight low volume, is it fast or slow twitch?

Challenge si for those who may have more time, unfortunately I am at work and it is difficult to get there without taking a major chunk of time to do it.

But I am sure some of the guys have the time and the patience and we will all appreciate it!
thumbs-up.gif

Meet this challenge!

Fausto, there is no need for a table looking at high volume vs. high load, the high load will always produce hypertrophy of ALL fibers.

No need to worry about it ;)

Hey!

I was under the impression that different fibres react in different way :confused:

Having looked at Pimp my...you know what E-book, one gets the impression that some fibres react better to higher volume and others to more weight.

That does not mean that one should avoid progression, no...just may adding a little more volume to some muscle groups than others.

Is this the wrong thinking pattern or did I voice my request wrong :confused:

Back