Canned Fish

pete69

The only affordable and readily available non-farmed salmon is canned Wild Alaskan Salmon.

I know that canned food is generally frowned upon as it tends to have a lower amount of nutrients. But what about canned wild salmon?

It's only 2 bucks for a 15oz. can, which is a bargain. It's high in sodium but I soak it in water for a while, then pour the water out. This seems to remove at least some of the sodium, at least the salty taste.

My other concern is the omega-3's being heated. Anyone know if the heating processed of canned salmon (and sardines) damages the omega-3's rendering them problematic?

Cooking damages some nutrients more than others such as vitamins and some compounds such as Bromalein. I wouldn't worry too much about the EFA's being burnt off.

Did you buy Bumblebee's Canned Wild Alaskan Salmon? I bought this stuff too and it smelled pretty bad (but then again, fish should). One thing I do not like about it as the salmon has turned a long time ago in the can. I would rather spend two extra dollars on the frozen kind. I also wasn't a fan of the scales'n'at being in the can.

That's how you get your calcium stoopid.
laugh.gif

Back