Carb Nite

mickc1965

I was thinking of doing 'Carb Nite' to finish off my journey to well defined abs (if I ever get there) as I am already down to anywhere between 50 and 70 g of carbs a day (12 days now since holiday which is mainly from Quark - 40 g a day - yes I eat a lot of it!!)

Anyone used this diet? If so how did you get on with it.

Mick,

I tried a keto type diet about 7 or 8 years ago.
I aimed for less than 50g of carbs a day - which is actually quite difficult to achieve.
My protein was high - I cant remember how much - but I still lost muscle aswell as fat.
I felt very lethargic - especially in my morning workouts and I lost strength too.

I stuck with it for about 6 months to get a good feel for it, but I would not recommend it or try it again.
I can probably find my macros on Fitday if you want to see them.

I am sold on the importance of carbs be it for cutting or gaining

Thanks Rob, from what I have been reading since I started the thread is if protein is too high it is converted to glucose via gluconeogenises preventing ketosis so reducing protein has been the hardest part so far as always had protein at 1.5g per lb of body weight.

Keeping under 50g of carbs has been ok apart from Saturday night after a bottle and a half of red wine when I went in a sweet binge watching the Olympics at 2 in the morning.

I will give this a go with refeeds when I feel I need them or at events etc and hopefully not too often, if I end up feeling totally crap then I will revert to a lowish carb diet ~100g.

The problem with lowering protein, if carbs are so low too (less than 200 cals) is that means increasing fat.
And fat is not very filling! So you end up becoming more hungry. Carbs are the fillers that satisfy us.
For me, cutting as I am at the moment, and eating approx 250g of protein, (1000 cals) plus 50g of carbs (200 cals) that leaves me looking for just over 110 g of fat.
That is not a lot to keep me going throughout the day, let alone fuel workouts, which makes sticking to the diet so much harder.

I did try a lean-gains approach for a few months - an 8hr feeding window -which helped a bit, but at the time, I was working shifts, including night shifts, and so it wasn't that easy to follow.

Now I am just being sensible with the carb intake, mainly towards the end of the day, along the lines of Blade's Biorhythm diet plan.

Good luck with it anyway and let us know how you get on

Back