Clustering, Myo-rep, Varying Rep Ranges Barbell Plan

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Clayton, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Clayton

Clayton Member

Long ramble: I couldn't figure out how to change the title of the thread, so it's not very accurate. Better description is 6x/week A/B/C full body 1 set myo-rep inspired log.

"Diet" kicked off today. I know I'll never track calories, so I'm doing one meal a day. Large part of the decision was based on convenience. There are a bunch of buffets (2 Thai, 1 Indian, 2 Chinese, 2 Italian/pizza) near my office, so we usually hit those for lunch because they're quick and convenient. It's easier to just skip.

I'm using this cycle to find my rep maxes for 25, 15, 10, and 5s. Basically, really light weight for the 25s. Once I hit 24 on the activation set, I'll stay at that weight for the other exercises to catch up. Reminding myself consistency is key for the next 6 months. So, the 25s might take a week...or 3. Then, drop the activation set to 15, so I'm still progressing the weight most workouts, thinking it's better if I'm not going close to failure every workout. For the 15s, once I hit 14 on the activation set, lower the activation set to 10, etc.

Dumb "aha" moment: I've always used a log for my HST cycles, but I never reviewed the old log(s) to setup the new cycle. Duh, that's one of the main advantages of using it. I think that's one of the main advantages of using a spreadsheet instead of just printing out the HST calculator. More room for notes. I've also learned that it's way easier for me to use pen and paper instead of trying to update it on my phone.

A (gym) workout:
    1. Machine Horizontal Row
    2. Leg Curls
    3. Lat Pull Down
    4. Squat
    5. Deadlift
    6. Machine Chest Press
    7. Cable Lateral Rows
    8. Single Arm Modified Cable Upright Row/modified face pull? (not sure what this would actually be called. I haven't seen anyone do it before, but it hits my rear delts really well, and seems to keep my shoulders healthy)
    9. Rope press downs
    Exercise selection may look a little odd, but most of it was based on what I can do at home vs. gym. The exercise order may also look a little odd, but I like leg curls before squatting. It seems to help with kind of a warmup for squats. Rows after deadlifts don't work every well. If the lat pull machine is taken, I put that after chest press. Squatting before deadlifts isn't a big deal, but deadlifts before squats jacks up my lower back. I really like how the chest and row machine fits me at this gym. Normally, I would just do barbell bench press, but it's hit or miss on when it's available.

B (home) workout:
    1. DB Chest Supported Rows
    2. Goblet Squat
    3. DB Slight Incline Bench Press
    4. DB RDL (not pushing this heavy, long history of back problems)
    5. Chins
    6. DB Upright Rows (always had problems with barbell, but these feel good, don't hurt)
    7. Band pull aparts
    I prefer single DB rows, but like the minimal time savings with chest supported. Slight incline DB bench seems to work better for my lower back. No clue why.

C (home) workout:
    1. DB Shrugs (these seem to work well for a warmup for everything)
    2. Arnold Press (may switch to shoulder press when it gets heavy, not sure)
    3. Pull Ups
    4. DB Split Squat (I hate these)
    5. Inverted Rows (not sure how I'll progress these later)
    6. Pushups (banded when in lower rep ranges)
    7. Glute bridge raises (more prehab than anything)
    8. DB Incline Curls
    I've done each workout once so far, and I like it. Initial thoughts: this is probably too much volume once I get into working with closer to rep maxes. But, for now, it's a good mix. A lot of it will be muscle memory, so I think the higher frequency will be good for me. The next cycle (definitely putting the cart before the horse here) will probably be more of an upper/lower a/b split. Or, I've enjoyed lifting at home, so I may do a cycle for 6 weeks with just dumbbells at home. Then after that, gym focused once the summer rolls around and we're not as busy with kid's sports (3 boys). We usually currently have Sundays off, but all the other days have games/practices, as early as 4:30pm during the weekdays.

Starting bodyweight is...265 lbs. Absolutely Ridiculous. I need to get to 205 before I think about trying to add muscle and start throwing the fun weights around in the gym.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Workout A, exercise 8 - does it look like starting a lawnmower ?

3. Clayton

Clayton Member

Jester, very similar! Main difference is that I'm standing upright and the weight stack is perpendicular to the arm I'm using. Cable is going across the body. The pin location is at the floor. They seem to hit my rear delts better than face pulls and feel more comfortable.

I added those at some point when I initially had shoulder problems around 2003. They seem to help more than rotator cuff work. They feel somewhat similar to a leaning dumbbell upright row.

I'm dropping DB RDL. Even with light weight, that movement still flares up my back (a little radiating pain in my hip). The middle school coaches had us doing straight leg deadlifts, and I think that's what initially started the back issues. Nothing major until I was doing single leg RDLs around 2007. Sciatica/bulging disc issues after that. Regular deadlifting doesn't seem to be a problem though.

So, I may get some furniture sliders or something and add in hamstring slides (if that's what they're called). No hurry on that though.

4. Clayton

Clayton Member

Weight clocked in at 250 lbs this morning. "Goal" weight is a lean and mean 200 lbs. Going from memory, but the DEXA scan I did two years ago, and assuming I'm not losing muscle, would put me around 11-12% bodyfat.

I ended up changing the split (again) last Wednesday as going to the gym isn't very feasible until this summer. Kids will be out of school, so I'll be able to drop them off earlier. Currently, if I go to the gym after dropping them off at school, I get into work too late.

So, now doing a kind of random looking A/B split on Mon/Tues and Thurs/Friday. I started it last Wednesday because I wanted to get into the 15s quicker (started with 25s initially). OCD = starting a new rep range on a Monday. I ended up finishing the 25s by working out on Wed/Thurs/Friday/Sunday. I'm going to start incline walking on the treadmill on Wednesdays as I tend to wake up at the same time everyday.

All from home, so basically all exercises with dumbbells. All myo-reps/clusters:

A: (do group "a" twice, then group "b" twice, then group "c" once)
    group a:
    Pull/chin up (clusters with total reps increasing each workout)
    Slight Incline DB Bench
    Goblet Squat

group b:
    DB banded pullovers
    DB Lateral Raises
    DB reverse hyper-ish

group c:
    DB skull crushers
    DB inline curls

B: (group "a" twice, etc), a.k.a "unilateral day."
    group a:
    DB rows
    DB split squat

group b:
    DB one arm press
    DB rear elevated leg DL

"group" c:
    DB Suitcase carries

More misc. ramblings:
    I bought/read Borge's Myo-Reps e-book ~2 years ago, so I'm probably misapplying a lot of the concepts. But, for the 15s, I'm still increasing the weights a little each workout (some repeating weights on the 25s on some exercises to keep the rep ranges the same), but today and yesterday, I still did an "activation" set to 15. So, it's not a true activation set, as it's at the beginning of the cycle. So, maybe some "junk" reps, but my joints are feeling healthy.

Excited that dumbbell rear elevated deadlifts aren't wrecking my back/sciatica. It's a similar good soreness the next day to doing regular deadlifts. I've never been a volume guy on direct arm work, but thought it would be good to go ahead and include those. I'll switch to DB close grip press if my elbow hints at flaring up. I've never used a reverse hyper machine, but I'm just using adjusting my bench to a slight incline and holding the dumbbell with my feet. The movement isn't fun, but feels therapeutic. May start using a resistance band instead. I added the dumbbell pullovers because I didn't start with 25 reps per set on pull/chin ups. I haven't done pullovers since the late 90s with "Super Squats."

I'll know in 4 weeks, but I'm thinking about going straight back to the 25s (with higher weights) after the 10s. Sets of 5s with dumbbells doesn't sound fun. I'm thinking about adding a resistance band for goblet squats, as my dumbbells go up to 120lbs each. Either that, or at type of dumbbell front squat? Jump squats seem like a recipe for an injury.

It's been years since I consistently worked out for more than 3 weeks in a row, so it has been a fun month!

Here's a weird idea (I'll post it on the main thread): a ~9 day fast during SD??!?!? That would still be 8 weeks away, so plenty of time to think about it.

5. Clayton

Clayton Member

I was travelling for work, so paired down the exercises, and I liked it, so sticking with a bare-bones A/B split:

A:
    Pull/Chin ups
    DB Slight Incline Bench (may switch to dips)
    Goblet Squats

B:
    DB Shoulder Press
    DB Rows
    Kettlebell Swings

First set is a normal set, 2nd set is myo-reps style. Casual "super set" through each of the 3 exercises.

Changed weekly weigh-ins to Fridays, as the weekends aren't very strict.

Thought process: "Ideal" weightlifting plan doesn't really matter for me, as I haven't already added a significant amount of muscle. I'm basically a new-beginner. I'm thinking consistent stimulus will hold on to current muscle while staying injury free. Trying to recomp is harder work. But, progressing the weights HST-style may add a little muscle.

The plan is to cut down to 210lbs, then reassess.