Concern about weight gainers and diabetes

[xeno]Julios

I'm quite dependent on my weight gain powder to get the bulk of my calories. I use mammoth 2500 and I get about 3000 calories and 150 grams of protein from it a day.

The primary energy source seems to be maltodextrin.

I'm getting about 450 grams of carbs from it a day.

Is this amount of maltodextrin safe? I'm very ignorant about diabetes, so am completely in the dark here.

Would appreciate any insights.

I'm 5'10 and during this last bulking cycle have put on 27 pounds (was gaining 2 pounds a week steadily since january) using HIT training. I'm currently at 177 pounds.

I'm not overweight but am almost ready to start cutting.

I wouldn't worry about it too much... however, as I mentioned in another thread, you can make a cheaper alternative by adding olive oil to whey protein shakes. This will get rid of the maltodextrin but will give you a lot of fats in your diet. However, most weight gainers are loaded with saturated fats, so I don't think this is a bad trade off.
Three scoops of whey, two cups of milk and a quarter cup of olive oil should give you on average a shake that is worth 1000 calories and provides around 60-80 grams of protein.

interesting idea using oil instead of sugar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Why do you think that I shouldn't worry about it though? Isn't what I'm currently doing pretty much the equivalent of eating half a kilo of sugar a day? Isn't that just asking for diabetes later on in my life?

If not, why? Does it have to do with the fact that I'm actually processing that sugar efficiently (since my maintenance caloric requirements are so high)?

There is diabetes in my family, but it happened to people who were in their late 40's and a few steps away from being fit, aka overweight. I don't feel I need to watch the carb intake as long as I am fit which is what the doctors said.

As far as I know diabetes doesn't run in the family, but I may be wrong.

Let me ask this question:

Would it be advisable to eat half a kilo of sugar everyday (spread out over the whole day of course) as part of a balanced bulking diet?

I am diabetic and have to take care with how I eat. Generally I add nuts and other 'less bad fats' to gain weight rather than simple carbohydrates. Some additional carbs, but with care (and careful attention to the kind).
Just adding sugar won't cause diabetes but can still cause some blood sugar issues. Your body will respond better to more complex carbohydrates. Simple sugars can cause roller-coaster effects with blood sugar with resulting mood swings and energy level fluctuation. On top of that, unless you are very very active, a surge of sugar which will cause a surge of insulin is going to cause a surge of storage (fat).

Man i have no idea about the diabetes thing ! But i have made this decision for me too, NO MORE SUGARS OR WEIGHTGAINERS for me !

when you need carbs, go with oatmeal !

i make the following:
in the morning and midday:

40g proteinmix + 400ml milk + 20ml Oliveoil
100gr. oatmeal + 300ml orangejuice

i drink this two shakes in the morning and in the midday.

before bed i take:
40g proteinmix + 400ml milk or
quark or
cottage cheese

whey protein only after my training with many dextrose !

greets

so stick with oatmeal, i dont like it in my proteinshakes, thats why i drink it with orangejuice or other juice.
(proteinmix = cassein/whey/egg)

Diabetes is a complex disease, with risk factors that generally revolve around excess of food and inactivity over a long period. Sugar per se is not a riskfactor, but can incrase risk if it increases caloric intake and adiposity.

Back