Confessions of and HST user

Joe.Muscle

I say confessions of and HST user b/c I have been following HST for about a year now...or have I???

I say this b/c I dont write every weight increments down I dont go by the numbers like I guess I should. What I mean is I go by memory and muscle memory and increase load as I can every workout.

From reading a thread earlier this month I realized that maybe I am not a true HST advocate b/c I am not following it to the T 100 % but needless to say I love the full body workouts 3 times a week and love the results so far.

Food for thought thats all guys!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

I figure if you like what you're doing, and you like the results you're getting, then keep it up ;)

Ever since I started weight lifting on my own, I've always written stuff down. That's just a personal preference. I like details, and statistics and metrics. I just want to see where I was and how I've progressed, and numbers are an easy way for me to show myself that I'm doing good.

I hate SD too... I'm on my sixth day of SD, and I'm sooo tempted to start my next cycle early. Lucky for me, I started feeling sick today, so I probably don't have to worry about it now.

I have to confess; I love SD because I can grow and can do more other things.

There is more than only doing HST :D

HST trainer with some expierence ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Mar. 24 2005,11:30)]I refuse to SD ever again!!!
That's up to you of course, but you will realize that it is an important aspect of not JUST HST but of the physiological aspect of growth. Like it or not RBE is REAL and the body will basically put a halt to your growth without some form resensitising the tissue to load. So go for it and come back in a year or two, depending on your level of conditioning (if it takes that long), and tell us how your growth went. We would be very interested
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Mar. 26 2005,9:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Mar. 24 2005,11:30)]I refuse to SD ever again!!!
That's up to you of course, but you will realize that it is an important aspect of not JUST HST but of the physiological aspect of growth. Like it or not RBE is REAL and the body will basically put a halt to your growth without some form resensitising the tissue to load. So go for it and come back in a year or two, depending on your level of conditioning (if it takes that long), and tell us how your growth went. We would be very interested  
thumbs-up.gif
I'm sure your right ... actually its a given. Everyone needs some sort of SD at some point in thr program. I've been looking into DCs training methods lately. His programs dont require a DC - he instead uses other methods to further muscle growth. Like I said, I've just starte dlooking into it. So I'm positive there is a lot I dont understand still.

All I'm saying is that when SD causes more loses than you gain ON cycle its not worth it. In most cases, in my case anyway, HST seems to be 2 steps forward 1&1/2 steps back.

Not to knock HST, I love HST ... I just hate SD.

wow.gif
8-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Mar. 26 2005,12
wow.gif
8)]HST seems to be 2 steps forward 1&1/2 steps back.
Not to knock HST, I love HST ... I just hate SD.
Lastly I just wish to point out that even though you seem to loose size during SD this is not true structural size, protein structure atrophy generally takes longer than a typical SD. Overall building muscle is a long process and gains are not made nor lost over a two week period. Just keep thinking long term  
thumbs-up.gif

SD isn't easy for any of us but it does make it easier knowing that there is a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow.
As far as DC, there are many simularities to HST, frequency, Clustering (although he refers to them as Rest Pause basically the same as Clustering). His ideas on changing the exercise to combat RBE (actually he looks to strength to assess this, not growth) isn't new or unusual and obviously also can work. But I'll leave the comparitive analysis to someone more able to do that (I have only read his stuff once or twice), Vicious  ;) .

I think that, based on some info in your posts Mr. N, the reason you lose size while SDing is that it is also the time that your body is also recovering from being "assisted." Kind of a "what goes up, must come down" situation. I remember once, quite a few years ago, that Larry Scott, who was huge in his prime, stopped "cycling" and he shrunk so much, despite continuing his workouts, that no one recognized him and he felt shunned and started cycling again. My uncle Marty O'Shaughnessy used to say that "the only way to stay drunk is to keep drinking." The same applies to muscle enhancers.
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
dozingoff.gif
sleeping.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Mar. 26 2005,2:58)]I think that, based on some info in your posts Mr. N, the reason you lose size while SDing is that it is also the time that your body is also recovering from being "assisted." Kind of a "what goes up, must come down" situation. I remember once, quite a few years ago, that Larry Scott, who was huge in his prime, stopped "cycling" and he shrunk so much, despite continuing his workouts, that no one recognized him and he felt shunned and started cycling again. My uncle Marty O'Shaughnessy used to say that "the only way to stay drunk is to keep drinking." The same applies to muscle enhancers.  
laugh.gif

crazy.gif

dozingoff.gif

sleeping.gif
Yeah, this is all true, but to be honest OG I havent really "used" all that much. I'm not really even that big of a guy - 5'9, 190lbs. I dont think I'm anywhere near my genetic potential. I completely understand what your saying though. I just can see that really applying to myself as I believe there is still a lot of growth left in me - I'm now where near my prime.

But hey, I am "ON" right now. If it turns out I lose everything the second this cycle is over, then I will have obviously made a liar out of myself. I'll have to except that. We wont know though for another 12wks.

;)

Just a couple of comments for Mr. Nasty (I bet his name is really "Mr. NiceGuy" but he's afraid to admit it. ;) )

Technically speaking, if you are still growing during a cycle and your strength (nervous system recovery) is still good, SD isn't necessary at that time. You can extend a cycle for several weeks as long as gains as still coming. So, if your having a great cycle and gains are significant there is no real need to cut it short just because you've been doing 5's for a couple weeks.

Secondly, if you are using any testosterone, there is certainly no reason to start SDing while you are still "on" unless you are on year round. PLUS, and this is important, do not SD and go "off" at the same time. You need to keep training until your test production is back to normal. Then you can SD. A general rule of thumb is that it takes as many weeks to recover test production as you were "on".

One final comment for others reading this who don't have a lot of training years under their belt yet, the further you are from your genetic limits, the faster and more consistant your gains will be. This can be taken into consideration by trainers or individuals with a good (i.e. realistic) sense of their own progress.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Mar. 28 2005,4:36)]Just a couple of comments for Mr. Nasty (I bet his name is really "Mr. NiceGuy" but he's afraid to admit it. ;) )
Technically speaking, if you are still growing during a cycle and your strength (nervous system recovery) is still good, SD isn't necessary at that time. You can extend a cycle for several weeks as long as gains as still coming. So, if your having a great cycle and gains are significant there is no real need to cut it short just because you've been doing 5's for a couple weeks.
Secondly, if you are using any testosterone, there is certainly no reason to start SDing while you are still "on" unless you are on year round. PLUS, and this is important, do not SD and go "off" at the same time. You need to keep training until your test production is back to normal. Then you can SD. A general rule of thumb is that it takes as many weeks to recover test production as you were "on".
One final comment for others reading this who don't have a lot of training years under their belt yet, the further you are from your genetic limits, the faster and more consistant your gains will be. This can be taken into consideration by trainers or individuals with a good (i.e. realistic) sense of their own progress.
Thanks Bryan ... I rarely see you post on certrain issues.  So taking the time to post in regards to my issue is appreciated.

Back