Cooking in Residence at University

Curt

Starting in the fall I will be attending university and I will be staying in residence. Some of the residences have kitchenettes, however only with a few appliances, not including a stove. Bar fridges and small microwaves are allowed into residence. Elements like hot plates are not permitted. I might be allowed to bring a toaster oven.

There is a meal plan, but it's only for 12 or 16 meals a week (depending on which residence I get into) which is not enough to bulk on. How can I get around this problem?

I'm not sure if a George Foreman grill qualifies as a "hot plate", but if they let you then bring one. George is your friend. I like to use them to make tuna melts. You can add cheese if you want, but even just grilling a normal tuna sandwich at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes makes it taste better, at least in my opinion. You can also use them to make hamburgers. There's a ton of stuff you can do with them, most of which I have yet to try.

You might consider bringing a blender.

Milk - just drink it!

Cottage cheese - it's pretty much your body's best friend. Unless you can't stand the stuff, keep some in your fridge.

Keep some chicken in the fridge, or the freezer depending on how fast you go through it. You should be able to cook it on a George Foreman.

Canned chicken and tuna for making sandwiches/whatever/eating straight from the can.

You'll want to have some bread, preferably whole wheat bread. You might want to freeze it, though, because it will mold after a couple weeks or so.

Peanut butter is loaded with calories, with a lot of them coming from good fats. Keep some on board.

Yogurt. Sure, it has a lot of added sugar, but I like it.

Keep some fruit on hand. I always like to have some bananas handy. For a tasty treat, peel a banana, put it in a ziploc or at least suran wrap it, and freeze it. MMM, yummy.

Vegetables. One of my favorite vegetables is green beans. I buy them frozen, and I eat them frozen. It's nice because they take zero preparation that way. I like them frozen, but maybe I'm just weird. Carrots are good too, especially baby carrots, since you don't have to peel them.

Get yourself some cereal. Not the garbage stuff, go for something with whole grain, fiber, and little to no added sugar. Kashi makes some good stuff, I think it's called "Good Friends" (kinda corny name, I must admit). Stuff like Cheerios and Wheaties should also be good. You might want to mix it up so you don't get tired of any one cereal. Depending on how hungry/lazy you are, you might be eating cereal several times a day.

Oats. They're cheap, and very easy to prepare -- just pour some in a bowl, add a little milk, and microwave. Or you can be like me and just eat the oats plain. Tip: it helps to take a little swig of milk with each mouthful of oats, just to moisten them and make it easier to eat them. I like to eat my oats plain like this, but again, maybe I'm just weird.

Eggs. Like oats, they're cheap and tasty. I've never tried, but I think you can just microwave them. That's what the guy who wrote this article does.

Nuts are a good source of calories. Peanuts, almonds, pistachios, whatever you like, just try not to get the kind that are terribly loaded with salt.

Diet Jello. Sure, it won't help if you're bulking, but it's a tasty, guilt-free treat when cutting.

Little things you might want to have but wouldn't necessarily think of:

suran wrap, aluminum foil, potholder, sugar, salt, spice (possibly Mrs. Dash), mayonnaise & mustard & ketchup (might be able to just "borrow" packets of these from the cafeteria), margerine, paper towels, paper plates, disposable utensils, salsa (if that's your thing), Brita water filter, gatorade powder, measuring cups, something that can boil water

Well, that's all the stuff I can think of for now. I just wanted you to see that there is plenty of stuff you can keep in stock that will provide you with a lot of quality calories while requiring little to no preparation.

Thanks for the response, I'll look into a George Foreman grill. I didn't know they made canned chicken... I guess I can use this as a replacement for chicken in recipes?

Costco sells canned chicken. As far as nutrition goes, 1/2 can of chicken is pretty much exactly equivalent to 1 can of tuna. I don't know if you'd want to use it as a replacement for chicken in recipes, but it's good for making sandwiches (basically the same as a tuna sandwich, but with chicken instead of tuna) or for eating straight out of the can, if you're looking for some easy high-quality protein with zero carbs.

Back