Criticism of hst?

HST is like 'scratching your ass' or 'walking around the mall
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

but as your ass" gets bigger voualla hypertrophy
biggrin.gif

<div>
(stevejones @ Nov. 08 2006,21:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a different take on HST than most here. When it comes to growth, I couldn't care less about the science. The main reason I'm here is because too much intensity equals burnout, and that guy needs to study HST a bit and realize that HST prevents you from getting burned out. </div>

Amen brother. It is important for people to understand that in the application of the science, we make decisions to get the most out of real world limitations. Fatigue places natural limitations on frequency so in the “application” of the frequency principle, we manipulate the fatigue (some call this intensity) in order to maintain adequate frequency.

&quot;Too much intensity equals burnout&quot; is absolutely right. When you zigzag your weights a little as you go from 15's to 10's to 5s, it gives you a couple less fatiguing workouts to allow your nervous system to recover a bit. So it has a built in schedule to reduce burnout. Burnout still comes, but it comes much later that way.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Brian is against people tweaking the program, but I've had to tweak it a little for myself. I've had to make it easier. I literally only do one working set for each exercise, because I get burned out if I don't do it that way. </div>

I just wanted to clarify that I have no problem with people tweaking HST. After all, HST is really a set of principles rather than a fixed rule on sets and reps.

Once a person has the principles down, it is up to them to figure out the best way to consistently apply them. Of course, the principles sort of point you to the basic plan I have offered on this site, but there are many way to so it. For example:

Basic HST
Upper/Lower 6 day split
Push/pull 6 day split
Basic HST with alternating routines

These are all legitimate ways of following the principles.

Back