Cutting past 5s

Isn't there another set of factors here, everybody? Just on of the them would be age. Dependent on one's age, the body will react differently to different stimuli in different ways. I'm 30 now - and can tell that (with a caloric deficit) and rather high protein diet, I can cut pretty easily - but nowhere near as easy as when I was 25. Cardio and HIIT have very similar results for me - ME - that's not to say that someone else won't have very different results. I'm down with sci's perspective, and my hockey bro slappy in the very same way.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 15 2007,19:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cardio done in the so-called fat burning range does indeed burn fat.    
</div>

Cardio done in the so-called &quot;fat burning&quot; range doesn´t´burn much fat if you do it for 45 minutes a day 3x week. What it does is train your body to burn fat more economically and burn fat as an energy source at increasing intensity levels. At higher intensity levels, untrained indviduals will burn stored glycogen. it is the difference between aerobic ( up to about 75% max heart rate) and anaerobic (75% and up).

Whether you low carb it or not, I am not going to touch as it seems to me to be a subjective empirical experience. I respond to (10-30% )low carb, moderate fat and protein VERY well. Others have no problems with 60% Carbo diets. I dropped almost 20 kilos within 5 months. about 7 of it was muscle. But that is okay with me as I am more einto the endurance side of sport and for biking as my competition of choice. For many here, 7 kilos muscle lose is a horror.

You´ll have to experiment.

In the end , without respect to body composition (lean vs. fat mass), it is calories in vs. calories out. If you want to maintain muscle, you start with some guideliines and recomendations from people here which are close to your body comp and go from there. Maybe your first cut is a mess and you lose to much muscle, maybe not.

Good Luck

<div>
(_tim @ May 17 2007,09:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Isn't there another set of factors here, everybody?  Just on of the them would be age.  Dependent on one's age, the body will react differently to different stimuli in different ways.  I'm 30 now - and can tell that (with a caloric deficit) and rather high protein diet, I can cut pretty easily - but nowhere near as easy as when I was 25.  Cardio and HIIT have very similar results for me - ME - that's not to say that someone else won't have very different results.  I'm down with sci's perspective, and my hockey bro slappy in the very same way.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.</div>
Physiologically, there probably isn´t much difference in your metabolism between 25 and 30 ( barring illness or disease). Maybe you were more active at 25? Maybe you ate different foods?

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 17 2007,10:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Physiologically, there probably isn´t much difference in your metabolism between 25 and 30 ( barring illness or disease). Maybe you were more active at 25? Maybe you ate different foods?</div>
I wouldn't think so either, but with rather consistent physical activity between then and now (given my career type, lifestyle, etc.), I do see a difference.

The age thing is just one thing that came to mind, to be completely honest. This obsession of ours to build muscle and hide under the guise of &quot;being healthy&quot; (the truth, of course, being that we all want to be physical gods in our own right) is in large part very subjective. I know guys who do 50% cardio, 50% strength training and others who do 100% strength training and on the bulk/cut side - both have very similar results.

<div>
(_tim @ May 17 2007,10:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I know guys who do 50% cardio, 50% strength training and others who do 100% strength training and on the bulk/cut side - both have very similar results.</div>
whats worse are those who do neither and remain lean and strong
mad.gif

GENETICS and nutritional ratios are a huge factor and with age, the laters effect becomes greater in relation to the former, as the former more than likely exhibits much slower variation or change over time.

<div>
(Lol @ May 15 2007,20:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I stuck with 5s for nearly 3 months and loved it.</div>
How did you structure these extra 5s workouts? Did you keep increasing weight? If so, how often? Did you just keep using your 5rm? Total reps?
Your plan sounds similar to what I'm going to try, so I'd like to hear more details of what worked for you.

<div>
(Lol @ May 16 2007,19:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Does an HST type routine cause that much more microtrauma than a strength type routine? During the 5s the two are quite similar especially if you are doing an abbreviated program for HST.</div>
Right now I could not tell the difference between a Strength only routine and the HST-5s phase. But, by definition, HST should cause more microtrauma, in order to cause hypertrophy. If any other routine (strength with heavy lifting) caused more microtrauma, then it should cause more hypertrophy. Right?

Anyway, maybe doing the HST, but with minimal sets (just one set on the second weeks, closing to the RMs) is just right for this purpose.

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ May 17 2007,16:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ May 15 2007,20:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I stuck with 5s for nearly 3 months and loved it.</div>
How did you structure these extra 5s workouts?  Did you keep increasing weight?  If so, how often?  Did you just keep using your 5rm?  Total reps?
Your plan sounds similar to what I'm going to try, so I'd like to hear more details of what worked for you.</div>
What I did was about every 3 weeks I back tracked about 30% and then started ramping up again. I stuck with sets of 5 rather than going to 10s. I tried to get at least 20 reps with each load but that was obviously not possible as I got near to my 5RM loads so then I would cluster reps to at least 10 and then add in some extra work with a slightly lighter load (often around my 10RM) that would allow me to get a couple of sets of 5.

My deads suffered more than squats but I think that was mainly due to a lot of accumulated fatigue along with low glycogen levels. I still managed 400 for a couple of singles in my deads but there was no way I was going to get 5 consecutive reps.

I actually got stronger in only one exercise by 15lbs which was parallel grip pulldowns -- not much, I know, but I was still pleased. Dips didn't drop much either (same load but, of course, my bodyweight dropped so effectively they did drop). Everything else (other than squats and dead) dropped off in reps rather than load. I used clustering and Max Stim to try to get a minimum of 10 reps without getting too fatigued.

Hopefully, I will get my strength back again this cycle.

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ May 17 2007,04:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Didn`t work, young Padawan...must let the force flow through you before the locked part kicks in.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Damn...

Back