DanOz Training Log

DanOz

Hello all,

I also keep a log elsewhere but I thought since I am going to give HST a go, where better to get advice than the official site.

I can't help myself in that I have made some modifications to the program, only to areas which I know my body responds best.

I have decided to do 2 alternate Workouts.

Workout 1

Primary exercises (1x12, 2x8, 3x4)

UB Squats
DB Incline Bench
EZ Pendlay Row

Secondary Exercises (1x12/8/4)

UB BTN Seated Press
BB CG Bench Press
EZ WG Curl
Trap Bar Farmers Walk (60m distance, 60 second hold)

Others (1x20/15/10)

Hyper Extensions
Standing Calf Raise

Workout 2

Primary Exercises (1x12, 2x8, 3x4)

BB Bench Press
Trap Bar Deadlift *
CG Pull Ups

*These are the exception to the stated rep ranges. Deads will be done in the 5/3/1 ranges.

Secondary Exercises (1x12/8/4)

BB Seated Shoulder Press
Parallel Bar Dips
EZ CG Preacher Curl
Leg Press

Others (1x20/15/10)

Roman Chair Sit Ups
Seated Calf Raise

I am looking to establish all max's over the next week, take a week off for SD, and then start my 1st HST cycle. Any comments, advice, criticism, support always welcome.

You seem to know what you are doing, and the rep ranges are only suggestions, I don't follow them either. What you are doing is still HST as long as you are progressing the load throughout the cycle and following the principles.

Keep us posted.
smile.gif

Thanks mate. Any suggestions on progression weights, that is, how much to go up each time before hitting max's? Or is this a purely individual thing?

A good rule of thumb is to start at 75% of your rm and then progress 5% each workout. So if you are in the 10 rep phase, you are doing a 2 week period of 10rep sets, then your start with 75% of your 10 rm and by workout 6, you are doing 100% of your 10 rm.

What I do (and I am weird), is to use my 1rm as a measuring stick and do percentages. I am about to start a 10 week cycle, where I start at 60% of my 1 rm and progress 1% each workout unitil the last workout I will be using 89% of my 1rm. This is a linear progression variation of HST. The workouts slowly and constantly get heavier throughout the cycle.
I don't do rep ranges, I cluster. Clustering is when you pick a total target number of reps/exercise and do that many reps in as many sets as you need to. SO my target is 20 reps. I can reach it by 2x10, 4x5, 5x4, or even 8, 7, 5.
There are alot of variations, but the key to HST is doing fullbody workouts frequently and progressing the loads as you go along.

Read all you can here:
HST FAQ

I modified my program by removing a secondary back exercise out of both workouts in the less is more principal. My only other thought is - Do I need a secondary hamstring exercise or will they get enough work with the squat/dead/leg pressing? Hams are a weaker area for me, that is why I thought I should probably do it. Any thoughts from those that have done this program?

In my experience deadlifts tear up my hamstrings plenty. But some guys only do deadlifts once/week. If you squat real deep, you can hit the hams hard. Or you can do leg curls or lighter straight-leg deadlifts on days you aren't deadlifting.

I am quite new to squatting, and my hips go well below parallel, but the weight is still light at this time. I only got my cage / starting squatting 6 weeks ago, and am still concentrating on correcting a few form issues (knees move slightly inwards for a second coming out of the hole before I drive them back out again) So my squat will be around 70-90kg over the rep ranges for the 1st cycle I think.

Also, I don't know if this affects ham involvement, it might even increase it, but I deadlift with a trap bar. So based on this information, does this change your advice on a secondary hamstring exercise?

If your knees are "dipping" in when squatting, get a loop of rope/bungee cord; position just above the knee caps - and consciously push against. This will train the abductors to fire and also strengthen the neural link "so your legs know they should be workin' when you're a squattin"
wink.gif

I am sorry if I am not understanding you correctly, but are you saying to squeeze my knees inwards against something while I squat? My problem is that the knees already come inwards for a second coming out of the hole before I drive them out and correct it.

No, you will have a cord or something around your knees that is squeezing your legs inward, you have to push your knees outward against it.

Ah, thank you all. I've just come off a 15 hour nightshift, so I guess the brain was a little foggy! Will put that into practise and try and correct my problem.

I know how that feels.

Anyway, let us know if that works. I might try it with my brother. He tends to do the same thing.

Going to play around tomorrow trying to establish the max's before SD. I will try squatting with a hockey strap around the knees and let you know how it goes.

Also decided to remove secondary ham exercise. Can always add it next cycle if needed.

Thurs 19/4/07
12 Reps, 1A

(End Program Target Weights in brackets)

UB Squat
67kg-12 (90kg)

DB Incline Bench Press
30kg-12 (42kg)

EZ Pendlay Row
57kg-12 (80kg)

UB BTN Seated Press
32kg-12 (55kg)

BB CG Bench
47kg-12 (70kg)

EZ WG Preacher Curl
27kg-12 (50kg)

Trap Bar Farmers Walk
77kg-60m/60secs (100kg)

Hyper Extensions
10kg-20 (20kg)

Standing Calf
97.5kg-20 (120kg)

Strategic Deconditioning made this session feel tougher than it looks on paper. Not being used to the 12 rep range also made a difference I think. My last program as a modified Rippetoe, predominantly in the 5 rep range, so 12 feels like a lot extra.

Made a little change to my program with the Rep Ranges. I am now going to use 12/10/8/6/4/4+SS etc
for most exercises. The smaller differential will make the progressive load easier IMO.

Sun 22/4/07
12 Reps, 1B

(Target Weights in Brackets)

BB Bench Press
82kg-12 (105kg)

Trap Bar Deadlift
127kg-5 (150kg)

CG Pull Ups
2kg-12 (13.5kg)

BB Seated Overhead Press
47kg-12 (70kg)

Parallel Bar Dips
5kg-12 (20kg)

EZ CG Preacher Curl
27kg-12 (50kg)

Leg Press
165kg-12 (210kg)

Roman Chair Sit Ups
15kg-20 (25kg)

Seated Calf
62.5kg-20 (85kg)

Tue 24/4/07
12 Reps 2A

UB Squat
70kg-12

DB Incline Press
32kg-12

EZ Pendlay Row
60kg-12

UB BTN Seated Press
35kg-12

BB CG Bench Press
50kg-12

EZ WG AB Curl
30kg-12

Trap Bar Farmers Walk
80kg-60m/60secs

Hyper Extensions
10kg-20

Standing Calf Raise
100kg-20

BB CG Bench Press & EZ Curls were quite easy. Everything else was sufficiently challenging by the end of the set.

Back