DanOz Training Log

Thanks mate - the way your training is going, I reckon you will do it. There is no better feeling than a PB, especially with something like bench where I had been stuck for so long around the 100kg-5 / 102kg-4.

Mon 11/6/07
3a - 4 reps

ATG Squats
102.5kg-4

DB 15 degree Incline Press
47.5kg-Fail
45kg-1 (I did this for 5 reps not long back...)
40kg-5

Reached my limit of strength for this one I think. For the last session of this workout, I'm going to increase the incline to 30 degrees and try 40kg at that angle.

EZ Pendlay Row
87.5kg-4

BTN Seated Shoulder Press
62.5kg-4

BB CG Bench Press
92.5kg-4

EZ WG Curl
55kg-3 (+1)

Trap Bar Farmers Walk
115kg-60m / 34 secs

Hyper Extensions
25kg-10

Standing Calf Raise
130kg-12
160kg-10

Thur 14/6/07
3b - 4 reps

BB Bench Press
107.5kg-6 PB

Trap Bar Deadlift
175kg-2 PB

CG Pull Ups
20kg-6

Seated Shoulder Press
75kg-4

Parallel Bar Dips
25kg-6

EZ CG Preacher Curl
57.5kg-1
55kg-1
52.5kg-2

Trap Bar Shrugs
135kg-11 (+3 reduced ROM)

Roman Chair Sit Ups
47.5kg-10

Seated Calf
97.5kg-10

Sun 17/6/07
4a - 4reps

ATG Squat
105kg-3

Injured back on rep 3 - leaned forward and had to good morning it, did not attempt rep 4.

DB Incline Bench (30 degrees)
40kg-5

EZ Pendlay Row
90kg-4

Still feeling the back pain so I cancelled the session. Disappointing considering its the last one for Workout A, hope I can get through Workout B with some pain killers / anti inflams, and then SD could not come at a better time.

Hey Dan, hope your back isn't hurt too badly.

It's very easy to keep pushing the load up but not so easy to keep your form good once it's heavy. That's why I think it's a good idea to cluster your reps once you go above your 5RM. If your form drops off when it's heavy (as fatigue sets in fast) the situation is much harder to remedy than when you get fatigued with a lighter load. It's very easy to strain a smaller muscle group in this situation which is probably what you have done.

Doing just a couple of reps at a time or using Dan's Max Stim style reps means that your fatigue levels stay as low as possible which can really help you to keep good form.

Get an ice pack on that back (watch your skin though: wrap it in a towel).

Thanks for the good advice mate. The back is currently in some muscular spasm, but no serious issue. Ice, massage, fish oil, anti inflam, stretching, pain killers are all on the menu.

I've only got one workout left, and I'm chasing a PB best bench, and if the back is up to it, a PB deadlift as well, so I'll be doing everything I can to make sure I'm ready to go. SD really couldn't come at a better time though.

For next cycle, I'm going to start with 15's and cut back the 4 reps from 4 to 2 sessions per workout, using Max Stim techniques etc if required.

While the weight was heavy for me today, I think I lost concentration more than anything as the 1st 2 reps were perfect form, I just lost my way a little on the 3rd. Getting 4 reps at this weight should not have been a problem - sometimes the cards just don't fall your way I guess.

I don't know what kind of rack you're using, but it seems to me that we have a tendency in the bigger weights to want to push through when things go wrong, if there's any thought in our heads that we can make it up anyway.
It occurs to me that there usually isn't any thought as to an abort point. Since we don't prepare our heads for a failure (thinking only about getting it up), we have to make the decision right on the spot, when it's too late.
I would think that with a squat, one should meditate momentarily perhaps before the workout as to just what percentage 'out of line' you would allow yourself before aborting to the the safety bars or pegs. Then you could focus on the lift itself just before doing it. I'd bet that a lot of injuries could be prevented that way. I remember a disc 'squishing out' on me some years back when I hit 430...haven't lifted that heavy since. (probably couldn't anyway)

There's definitely something in what you are saying.
No-one likes to fail, and when we set goals we certainly don't want to leave anything in the tank or walk away knowing we gave less than everything to achieve them.

As for my rack, I've got the Powertec one, I am confident I can dump with safety. Coming out of the hole I got the lean forward. Maybe in hindsight I should have dumped it straight away, reracked and continued.

My old mindset to dumping it at this point would have been to treat this as a failed attempt at my set, ie set 1 105kg-2, and then started set 2 and tried again for the 4 continuous reps. This kind of attitude is part of the reason I would be reluctant to bail out - that word fail.

The result now is an injury however, so maybe its time to adjust my attitude and look at the bigger picture. Thanks for the input.

Tue 19/6/07
HST 4a - 4 reps
Final Session

BB Bench Press
110kg-4 PB!
115kg-1
120kg-1
(Couldn't help myself)

Trap Bar Deadlift
180kg-1

CG Pull Ups
22.5kg-5

Seated Shoulder Press
77.5kg-3

Parallel Bar Dips
27.5kg-5

Trap Bar Shrugs
140kg-10

Roman Chair Sit Ups
50kg-10

Seated Calf Raise
105kg-10

Thats it for now. HST has taken my bench from 102kg-4 up 8kg to 110kg-4. I could not do 110kg for a single prior to starting, I took my single best to 120kg. While I have not been deadlifting and squatting much prior, in total I have added 65.5kg to all 3 lifts to 402.5kg.

No other program has given me results like this.

Thanks mate - SD has definitley come at a good time. The back is getting better, the muscular spasm has stopped, but 10 days off will give everything some time to settle.

Back