de novo fat synthesis from carbs

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeynov @ July 15 2003,10:31)]aaron, the question wasn't simply one of 'weight gain' or 'weight loss.' i'm talking %'s here, eg what would the effect be in respect to partitioning towards the p end of the p-ratio (as far as i know, this idea extends to both hypo and hyper caloric scenarios).
There is absolutely no resarch showing this is weight training humans.
Most of the p-ratio is determined in non-weight training humans by genetics, starting BF% etc. Weight training would only increase the partitioning towards muscle to some extent, but anyone whos tracked BF and LBM gains will show that starting lean always keeps the ratio of muscle to fat high, but as the BF% increases it goes back to the other direction.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]example: adequate protein shifts the p-ratio a bit away from fat gain/muscle loss, depending on calories. two diets can yield the same net 'weight loss' but carry different ratios of loss of muscle vs. fat. obviously this logic extends to encompass both protein and fat ('enough' of both affecting such partitioning as far as i know), but NOT carbohydrates?
you project NO difference based on carbohydrate intake for any of the three scenarios i presented? in a way, this contradicts my own anecdotal experience as well as that of the past 50 or so years of bodybuilding. i would THINK that there would be partioning issues based on insulin response to 'type' of carbohydrate intake, but i suppose i could also be mistaken.
The only thing taht really seems to alter weight loss in terms of muscle vs fat is protein.
[/quote]i mean, insulin sensitivity certainly relates to fat accumulation. though the article you posted a while back seemed to indicate that insulin resistance was primarily a result of excess calories, rather than carbohydrate type.[/quote] Insulin resistance is primarily an action of lack of exercise, and indirectly a overabundance of calories, fat mass causes the the insulin resistance, not the other way around.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dianabol and i had previously discussed the mechanisms involved in IR where adipose tissue ends up footing the bill as both become insensitive to the effects of insulin. would not high GI/II index carbs in the long run exaggerate insulin resistance in somebody on a hypercaloric diet, in turn partitioning calories towards the fat end of the spectrum?
Potentially, but as bodybuilders we shouldbt be getting to the extreme obesity point anyway.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the only thing you point out that makes the most sense to me is that carbohydrate 'type' relates to hunger control mechanisms, eg one is more likely to overeat high GI/II carbs than low GI/II if not monitoring kcals and basing eating on their own satiety. i suppose i'm just looking for clarity on some of these issues :)
Tmag have ruined hte idea of GI for most people, because of Berardis (false) representations of a couple of GI studies. GI reduces hunger in most people, which is the greatest part of it all.

Back