Deadlift PR

SweetDaddyPatty

A year ago i was missing days of work because my back was so f***ed up.  I bought starting strength, studied it, and began a 5x5 program with very very light weights to try to strengthen my back.

'I set a new deadlift PR of 295x3 today.  I know that isn't huge but it is for me.  This is the first time I have ever been able to come close to handling respectable poundages.  I'm very proud and wanted to share.  Thanks for listening.

Great job on recovering from a bad back. You are a prime example of what many of us often tell people - that maybe the best treatment for a bad back is to make your back stronger.

Again, great work.

Great work SDP! Mind sharing what the problem with your back was initially?

I'll also chime in w/ a great work for SDP! great stuff.

<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 21 2008,1:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great work SDP! Mind sharing what the problem with your back was initially?</div>
when i initially &quot;threw it out&quot; about 10 years ago the diagnosis was possible torn ligaments but they didnt do an MRI or anything. I was deadlifting very light weight but with probably very bad form when I felt something &quot;give&quot; in my lower back and was in tremendous pain and couldnt bend at the waist for a few days.

This injury recurred many times over the years, every time I tried to incorporate squats or deadlifts into a routine, and sometimes for seemingly no reason at all.

Doctors basically said &quot;**** happens, there's not much we can do for this aside from prescribing rest/heat/ice/anti inflammatory drugs etc.&quot;

All of that did come in handy to some extent but I think learning perfect form and strengthening those muscles has been the best long term solution for me.

Thanks for all the &quot;props&quot;!

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Jul. 21 2008,1:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">'I set a new deadlift PR of 295x3 today. I know that isn't huge but it is for me. This is the first time I have ever been able to come close to handling respectable poundages. I'm very proud and wanted to share.</div>
You have good reason to be proud. 295 is nothing to sneeze at, but the &quot;x3&quot; is what makes it special.

[Next time just add a couple 2 1/2 lb plates to each side of the bar. When you lift 300 lbs, it sounds like a whole lot more...!
smile.gif
]

Next lift he'll be able to put another 10 on the bar. You're talking about legs and back, not arms. Good job, and welcome to my world. 30 years of walking around feeling like a hot knife was twisting in my back, followed the doctors orders and just got worse.
No pains now. I can actually pull against my strengths, rather than my pains.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 24 2008,10:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Next lift he'll be able to put another 10 on the bar.</div>
this gave me an idea...
did 305x3 today.

Im gonna take an SD now as I have to move this week and will be doing way too much back and forth between new place and old next week. Plus my bench has stalledBut Now I have a PR to work back up to and surpass with my next routine.

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Jul. 21 2008,1:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I set a new deadlift PR of 295x3 today. I know that isn't huge but it is for me.</div>
As much as we'd all like to be as strong or stronger than that guy over there, the real satisfaction comes with setting your own PR in a lift. I hit my own PR last week of 275, so 295 still impresses me and 305 even more so. Just think, 10 more pounds and you'll be pulling 3 plates!

Well done. You aren't far from 3 plates either!

You are right about the satisfaction of setting a personal record. I am starting to feel like I prefer strength focused training to physique focused training. The fact that I like the way the strength training affects my physique helps too.

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Aug. 01 2008,4:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am starting to feel like I prefer strength focused training to physique focused training. The fact that I like the way the strength training affects my physique helps too.</div>
Interesting that you should say that. I recently decided to concentrate on strength and overall fitness and just accept whatever hypertrophy comes along with that. Last week I started my new program which consists of Starting Strength 2 times a week and Crossfit 'met con' workouts 2-3 times per week.

I started doing the same thing getting ready for my crossfit certification. 2 strength training days each followed by a crossfit workout the next day. I only had 2 months which equated to about 14 total CF workouts. It wasnt enough. I got destroyed. The first day we did bottom to bottom tabata squats and later that day Fran (DNF; tore all the calluses in my right hand finishing up the second round). The next day was Fight Gone Bad and a 500m row... this was on top of all the repetitive training both days. I didnt really learn anything new though. I already knew all the exercises except for the kipping pullup and muscleup.
I think I am gonna stick with that for a while. The benefits of CF training are overwhelming and definitely spill over into strength training.
I went to strength training after I seemed to stop progressing in HST in terms of strength and size.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Aug. 05 2008,9:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I started doing the same thing getting ready for my crossfit certification. 2 strength training days each followed by a crossfit workout the next day. I only had 2 months which equated to about 14 total CF workouts. It wasnt enough. I got destroyed. The first day we did bottom to bottom tabata squats and later that day Fran (DNF; tore all the calluses in my right hand finishing up the second round). The next day was Fight Gone Bad and a 500m row... this was on top of all the repetitive training both days. I didnt really learn anything new though. I already knew all the exercises except for the kipping pullup and muscleup.
I think I am gonna stick with that for a while. The benefits of CF training are overwhelming and definitely spill over into strength training.
I went to strength training after I seemed to stop progressing in HST in terms of strength and size.</div>
Glad to meet another fellow traveler.
biggrin.gif
My Crossfit w/o's are very much scaled down, but they still leave me stumbling around gasping for air. However, I'm getting a little tired of young smart a$$es asking, &quot;Hey, old man, are you alright? Maybe you shouldn't push yourself so hard.&quot;

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Aug. 08 2008,8:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However, I'm getting a little tired of young smart a$$es asking, &quot;Hey, old man, are you alright? Maybe you shouldn't push yourself so hard.&quot;</div>
It doesn't cost much to shoot off your mouth when you are in your twenties. Give 'em another 30 years or so; see if they are such &quot;smart a$$es&quot; then...

2wlxcm0.jpg

Yeah screw em. From what I understand growing old gracefully involves pushing yourself... and squats and deadlifts. Challenge them to a Fran workout... that'll teach em.

Also my last comment about going to strength training wasnt a dig on HST. I still SD and start with HST then post 5 I transition into strength specific training. I intend to use it until I reach my size goals...however they have been a moving goal lately
smile.gif

What is it about the damn deadlift?

I lifted 140 Kg today but could only manage 1 rep, second time around, didn't use my legs enough and just did not make it...stupid...but that is it hey? Its a love/hate relationship.

I remember some time ago JVroig saying it was invented by count dracula, he...he...he, he must have been talking about romanian deads, they just as tough!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It doesn't cost much to shoot off your mouth when you are in your twenties. Give 'em another 30 years or so; see if they are such &quot;smart a$$es&quot; then...</div>

Been lucky with that one at this particular gym, but it does feel great to probably be the only one doing them so I mainly get stares!
laugh.gif

Was setting up my partners deadlifts for 5s weight last night when he pulled his groin on the weight. He does not have the experience that I do with the lift and went wide on his stance with an outside grip. Now I like the sumo style as well as the Oly style so when he addressed the weight I thought his stance was setup for sumo but then he grabbed the bar wide style and this moved his torso closer to the bar and brought the weight to far forward. A couple good tugs and he was done for the night. Man that blows!

The reason deadlifts are king though is the vast number of muscles involved in the lift. It take a great amount of coordination and timing to get it just right. By narrowing the grasp to shoulders width you can start with your back slightly higher and more errect at the beginning of the lift. Start off with your traps fully stretched at the start of the lift. Drive down into the floor with your heels as you start the weight upwards. Keep your head up and square so your back will track along a nice straight up course. The bar should stay as close to your shins as comfortably. A lot of wasted power trying to pull the bar back into its natural track straight up if you start off standing too far back from it. It should not be uncommon for you to scrape the weight across your shins in the mid point and along your quads there after. Thats what that gym chalk is for kyou knuckle heads. As you ascend you can then use your traps to shrug upwards as you continue press into your heels to the knee height. This momentum will get you past the sticking point and up your lifts once you learn the timing. (Now you know why I have shrugs in every workout) Then the hips start to come into play. A powerful thrust forward of the hips at this height glides you over the knee as you excelerate to the lock out.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The reason deadlifts are king though is the vast number of muscles involved in the lift. </div>

Well said wildman, I wish I had the training Ripptoe had or that I had him as a trainer, damn it I needed a slap in the back of the head, but iot is an unconcious thing to just fall out of the proper stance and if no one is watching you...tough.

Guerss I fall under the &quot;knuckle head&quot; category
laugh.gif
, at least I gave up on time so...mny back wasn't totally shot...but man...it was close, and what's amazing is that the first one rep I did was perfect!
cool.gif

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Aug. 11 2008,11:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I still SD and start with HST then post 5 I transition into strength specific training.</div>
can you explain what the method is for 'strength specific'..do you mean just 'low reps' or do you adjust volume or work to failure??? what specific mechanism is it that increases your strength most rapidly??

Id just like you or somebody to clear it up for me, thanks.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can you explain what the method is for 'strength specific'..do you mean just 'low reps' or do you adjust volume or work to failure??? </div>

Ratty, it is basically a 5 x 5 or similar setup, there is a wild variety right here, just look right in this forum, many of us switch to this modfe to milk the heavies a little better, but it is a diffrent module of training I don't recommend it unless you have done HST for a while! Madcow, Doggcrap, etc, etc.

Just prolong your 5's or get a partner and do a good program with negatives right through!

Back