Digestive Enzymes

I gained about 12 lbs in my second 3 months of lifting but have been stuck at 170 lbs for the last 2 1/2 since then.
My diet remains around 4000 to 5000 calories a day.  No junk, 2 to 3 grams of protein per day, per pound body weight. Mulitvitamin, creatine(I think it accounts for a good part of the 12), but no drugs.
Strength continues to improve.
I estimate my fat % at around 12 %, by the look of my stomach this has not changed much over the last 6 months.
I believe I am about at the limit of the amount of calories I can hold down without going to a lot of sugar or processed fat.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge taking digestive enzymes for BB ?
Any other advice is also appreciated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GiNormousMonstertobe @ July 06 2005,5:58)]2 to 3 grams of protein per day.
there's your problem.

just kidding, I assume there was a typo in there
happy.gif

the only advice is really to eat more. if you aren't gaining weight of any kind, you aren't eating enough.

Bosox,

Quote (GiNormousMonstertobe @ July 06 2005,5:58)
2 to 3 grams of protein per day.

thanks, per pound body weight.

Having trouble holding much more down.

I would try dropping down to only 1 - 2 grams of protein per pound for a week and make up the difference in calories with carbs. Also try some fats like olive oil, which you can add to your post workout shake. Olive oil is really calorie dense. I wouldn't add more than a couple tablespoons to your shake though unless you want it to taste horrible. Personally, when I drink olive oil, it tastes like I'm dying. I guess some people might actually enjoy the taste though.

I was eating 5000 calories on workout days during my bulk. It was hard, but it's possible. Just remember that when you aren't working out, you should be eating.

You could also try Udo's oil which is practically tasteless in your shake.

I find that digestive enzymes give me heartburn.

Thanks guys,

Flax is an ingredient in Udo's, has to taste better than flax oil, I would love to find a substitute for that.

Aaron,

2-3g/lb?

why?

Asking me ? I read here 1g/lb to 1.5g/lb but I also read the diet of 3000 calories, 5000 cal./3000 cal. x 1.5g/lb = 2.5 g/lb. Not sure it works that way, but if one is that much less efficient at processing their calories I would assume it is the same for protein.

I also see other amounts of protein, like 2-3 g/lb recommended on other sites and programs. Never read anything that said too much was a problem so I keep it to the high side. I am about the farthest thing from an expert in this area so any info would be appreciated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GiNormousMonstertobe @ July 08 2005,5:30)]
2-3g/lb?
why?
Asking me ? I read here 1g/lb to 1.5g/lb but I also read the diet of 3000 calories, 5000 cal./3000 cal. x 1.5g/lb = 2.5 g/lb. Not sure it works that way, but if one is that much less efficient at processing their calories I would assume it is the same for protein.
I also see other amounts of protein, like 2-3 g/lb recommended on other sites and programs. Never read anything that said too much was a problem so I keep it to the high side. I am about the farthest thing from an expert in this area so any info would be appreciated.
No, protien requirements decrease as calories increase

As long as you have a caloric surplus over the course of the day, it doesn't matter too much where the calories come from. Vicious often advocates more coming from protein rather than carbs, since it has less risk around the gut. Carbs are more easily metabolised, and if there is a caloric excess (a good amount), there is more risk of a "spillover" into bodyfat, whereas excess protein is usually excreted through urine or feces.

Still, one shouldn't worry much about fat gain with a caloric excess, unless they're eating ~1000 over their maintenance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chthonian @ July 10 2005,5:33)]As long as you have a caloric surplus over the course of the day, it doesn't matter too much where the calories come from. Vicious often advocates more coming from protein rather than carbs, since it has less risk around the gut. Carbs are more easily metabolised, and if there is a caloric excess (a good amount), there is more risk of a "spillover" into bodyfat, whereas excess protein is usually excreted through urine or feces.
Still, one shouldn't worry much about fat gain with a caloric excess, unless they're eating ~1000 over their maintenance.
I'm sorry but I'm confused? On one hand I have the HST Nutrition FAQ stating 1/g/lb protein is enough, while others advocate extreme amounts? Weighting only 135 pounds means and eating 3000+ calories means eating a lot of carbs for me!

Could you perhaps refer me to a study or something similiar, backing up your statement? Thanks. :D

Back