Do you people do cardio when bulking up?

I do cardio every week even when i`m bulking. Just going to the gym not doing anything else? Hell, i would go nuts!
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 07 2005,2:12)]
wow.gif
0-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LittleBigHorn @ Feb. 08 2005,2
wow.gif
0)]Okay, it seems I have been misled all along.
I'm sure there is a very detailed and scientific explanation for why I am wrong, but considering that my comprehension is at a layman's level, I would greatly appreciate a simplistic explanation as to why this age old "truth" regarding fat loss is incorrect.
worship.gif
The concept that glycogen has to be depleted for fat oxidation is a nice old concept, but still not correct.  Origonally thought of from research showing low intensity cardio took ~20mins to get to the highest % of fat oxidation.  Taking this to the ultimate conclusion they decided it must be 20m before any fat oxidation is happening, which was directly false.  the greatest % of fat utilziation happens at <60-65%vo2max, but the greatest fat loss happens at >65% where glycogen starts becomming the main fuel.
Fat oxidation during the training period is not important, as weight loss mirrors the caloric output of the training(+epoc. )
Mmmh.. just to make sure I understand the process properly..

During your cardio you burn glycogen, after your cardio when you eat carbs you recover your glycogen, and while this happens you burn fat. Is that right?

Now what happens if you do a low carb or no carb? You don't recover your glycogen, or just a part of it. So is it sure that it still works the same way?

For instance, if you do a keto, you deplete and deplete and deplete.. The loss of glycogen doesn't translate to a loss of fat. OR are you supposed to lose fat during the carbup? At this time you store all the carbs back and you burn fat at the same time?

That's really something I would like to fully understand so if you can enlighten me.. :D :D :D

you cannot do it off the cardio alone, it has to be in the context of the entire diet.

(and anyone who do Hiit on a low carb diet is not doing it correctly)

if you have maintenance at 3000kcals and you do 600kcals of cardio, adn you eat 3000kcals for the day, then no matter if you eat carbs directly after cardio or not, there is a negative energy balance that has to come from somewhere.
Doing morning fasted state cardio you may oxidise a wee bit more fat in the morning, but if that negative balance is not kept up all day, there is no change.

Lyle McDonald has an article on a specific time period that it may work.

Lyle usually says that what matters is the input/output from bodyfat. That's part of the reason why we do the depletion first in the UD2, so that glycogen is out of the way and we can concentrate on losing fat.

Let's say you do a low carb with some cardio, not HIIT necessarily. Let's say you burn 50% of fat and 50% of glycogen during your cardio. The fat is gone, fine, but the glycogen too, and you don't replete is much on a low carb. So you can't relate directly the calories with bf loss.

There is something like 3000 calories of glycogen in the body. You can burn them all over several days and not burn an ounce of fat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ Feb. 11 2005,1:54)]Lyle usually says that what matters is the input/output from bodyfat. That's part of the reason why we do the depletion first in the UD2, so that glycogen is out of the way and we can concentrate on losing fat.
Not quite as simple as that.  There is a combination of maximising lipolysis and oxidation, adding ot hte overall caloric burn, and setting up the situation to enable a massive intake of carbs.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let's say you do a low carb with some cardio, not HIIT necessarily. Let's say you burn 50% of fat and 50% of glycogen during your cardio. The fat is gone, fine, but the glycogen too, and you don't replete is much on a low carb.
you will replete some of the carbs, from lactate formed, and from dietary protein.  You cannot really isolate one period of activity out of an entire day.  Its like arguing that eating sugar increases denovo lipogenesis post prandially, but this gain in fat doesnt matter if the days total net fat balance is not positive.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So  you can't relate directly the calories with bf loss.
not linearly, but that goes with low, high carbs or anything.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is something like 3000 calories of glycogen in the body. You can burn them all over several days and not burn an ounce of fat.
Um, glycogen does not have to be depleted to oxidise fat.

Back