Drop sets & high intensity/high rep sets

Singleton

Although it is very taxing, I have alwasys felt that doing drop sets has helped to push me further.

Besides, drop sets are fun!

For example, I start with 265 on the bench press (plates: 35,25,25,25) do the following in rapid succession on bench presses having my spotter strip off 25lb plates as the max rest time:

Wide grip 265x5
Med Grip 215x5
Close Grip 165x8

You can see that this adds up to higher reps (18).

Another example using DB pullovers followed by strict-form cambered bar skullkrushers:

pullover: 140x5
skullkrusher: 75x12

Here again, 17 reps.

I like doing really heavy shrugs. I can do 405x20. I don't know where this fits in. It isn't a drop set, but a shrug has a very limited muscular ROM for the traps. It is great fun to go ballistic.

Wow, I totally miss shrugs and pullovers. Not part of my current routine. [idea]

The question: Where do these balls-out, high rep sets (including drop sets) fit into HST?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The question: Where do these balls-out, high rep sets (including drop sets) fit into HST?

Like your subject line says- 5negs (although I do them in the 5s as well). Drops are awesome- I've noticed mucho better growth during the 5s and negs since I started doing them, although I have a different approach than whe you suggest- I just do one set of 12-15 reps at my 15Rm for the given lift. What you suggest is more of a pyramid, and close-grip bench isn't the same as a wide grip (the former forcuses on triceps, the latter on pecs). But I do that kind of thing with some of my lifts too- for example, I do drops using hammer curls after DB biceps curls.
Jake

Back