Dropsets with Negatives??

jwjpilot

<span style='color:darkblue'>Hi Everyone,
I am on my 2nd HST cycle and want to add negatives on the exercises I can (I workout alone) for the last 2 weeks of 5's.

So on the exercises where I do negatives is it best to also do dropsets, or is the negative best on its own?

On that line of thought what would be ideal for the last 2 weeks of 5's - Dropsets, or Negatives, or Negatives+Dropsets?

Thanks
JWJ</span>

Dear jwjpilot,

1. I am on my 2nd HST cycle and want to add negatives on the exercises I can (I workout alone) for the last 2 weeks of 5's.

&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm curious - how many weeks of 5s is planned for this cycle?

2. So on the exercises where I do negatives is it best to also do dropsets, or is the negative best on its own?

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; The Negs are for milking the primary factor of growth stimulus - mechanical tension. The drop sets are for milking secondary factors of growth stimulus - metabolite build-up, hypoxia. So, it is ok to do both. I suspect you are asking this question from a high-intensity angle, where Negs and Drop Sets are taken to failure on this premise increasing the &quot;intensity&quot;, and from a high-intensity perspective, it is unwise to add too many &quot;intensifying&quot; techniques in case of over-training. Fret not. Failure is not a prerequisite on the Negs nor the drop sets in HST. They are done primarily for milking primary and secondary factors of growth stimulation.

3. On that line of thought what would be ideal for the last 2 weeks of 5's - Dropsets, or Negatives, or Negatives+Dropsets?

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; To my understanding, after two weeks of 5s, we progress to two weeks of Negs, but if Negs cannot be properly done e.g. because one is training alone, another two week of 5s can follow the first week of 5s. In this case, we won't really be bothering with Negs would we? Unless we did things like dumbbell curls where the non-working hand aided the working hand in the concentric rep before letting it bear the full brunt on the eccentric phase.... or push-presses for delts where with some leg power we boost a heavy weight through the concentric phase only to let the delts fight it on the negative.... but this sort of approach is perhaps, risking too much injury.... and so we do another two weeks of 5s in place of two weeks of Negs.

Dropsets can be performed in the 10s, 5s and Negs phase, and if we aren't doing Negs but more 5s, we still continue with the drop sets. There had been recent posts on dropsets (how much, how frequent) and they are probably worth reading.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 08 2004,6:45)]
Thanks for the reply

&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm curious - how many weeks of 5s is planned for this cycle?&lt;&lt;&lt;

4 weeks - 2 of 5's 2 of negs... uh thats a little confusing I hope you understand.

So if I understand right negs. with dropsets is best???

Thanks
JWJ

Dear jwjpilot,

1. Thanks for the reply

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; You're welcome :)

2. So if I understand right negs. with dropsets is best???

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Yes. We emphasize more the negative rep in all phases (the positive rep should also be done as strict as possible...), and dropsets are added in for the benefits of metabolite build-up and hypoxia. Think Negs as the main course for growth stimulus, and dropsets as the dessert for growth stimulus.

I hope this helps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 08 2004,10:32)]
&gt;&gt;&gt;Think Negs as the main course for growth stimulus, and dropsets as the dessert for growth stimulus.&lt;&lt;&lt;

I like that! Excellent Illustration!
worship.gif

Thanks Dianabol :D

<span style='color:darkblue'>I did my workout tonight and I managed to do negatives on all exercises working out solo, I mostly did one side at a time and used the free arm/leg to get the weight in position.
Then after the last set of negs I did dropsets.

It was the most intense workout I have had in a long time, I was sweating and breathing like I was doing cardio.
Is it supposed to be that intense? I am sore all over my entire body. Sore is good!:D

JWJ</span>

Dear jwjpilot,

1. Is it supposed to be that intense? I am sore all over my entire body. Sore is good!

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Yes, it can get quite brutal. But remember, failure isn't the goal. A good burn and pump is the goal when it comes to dropsets. Soreness is some indication but by itself it is not the be all end all either. Still, it sounds like you've gotten the hang of it. If you find the dropsets resulting in CNS fatigue (signs of overtraining begin to kick in), then just do one drop set for that bodypart, rather than one drop set for every exercise for that bodypart.

Glad to hear you are having fun.

I'd suggest eccentric-only dropsets.

Also, the use of eccentrics after a normal dropset is pointless to me. Negatives are most effective when done with a greater load than you can normally use, not a lesser one.

&gt;&gt;&gt;Also, the use of eccentrics after a normal dropset is pointless to me.&lt;&lt;&lt;

I may understand you wrong... but I only did dropsets after I did the eccentrics for each muscle.

&gt;&gt;&gt;I'd suggest eccentric-only dropsets&lt;&lt;&lt;
Interesting...
Why would an eccentric dropset be superior?

JWJ

Back