End of 5's results

You can believe in the three body types all you want but they still aren't real.

Regardless, apparently you don't know the real definiton of an endomorph because the psuedoscience invention of an endomorph says that they are people who have lots of muscle and lots of fat, like linebackers in football. This imaginary endomorph you've dreamt up that only gains fat and not muscle isn't even what an endomorph was supposed to be.

I'm not sure I believe the research about body types. There must be a reason why I fit the endomorph type and gain fat where other people don't. I also struggle with getting lean. I still believe the 3 different classes of body type exist.

You can't pick and choose the scientific evidence you accept. Either you take chemistry, biology, physics, physiology, biochemistry etc. as a group, or you don't take any of them.

Charr, I'll say again. Buy calipers. Track objectively what is happening to your body. Our personal vision about ourselves is imprecise. Regards. Leo.

I've finished my first cycle however hypertrophy results having been that great at all. I'll sd over next week and go in for a 2nd cycle. Is 9 - 10 days optimum for an sd?

Sci recently advised me the following

"Full 9 days of no training has shown on the 10th day that the muscle increases satellite cells , it basically takes AT LEAST 10 days for the deconditioning to be sufficient. Anything less, and it's more of a break for recovery, but not a true SD. Long SDs are even more effective, but have the problem of muscle atrophy occurring."

My planned 2 week SD has turned into 3 1/2 weeks. I think I will be better off for it. No noticeable atrophy but strength is surely down 5-10% With proper diet, getting that strength back should result in added hypertrophy on top of what I have.

Sci recently advised me the following

"Full 9 days of no training has shown on the 10th day that the muscle increases satellite cells , it basically takes AT LEAST 10 days for the deconditioning to be sufficient. Anything less, and it's more of a break for recovery, but not a true SD. Long SDs are even more effective, but have the problem of muscle atrophy occurring."

I haven't got the calipers yet.

It will be 10 days when I plan to train again. I finished friday and plan to start the next cycle a week on Monday. Is it enough?

Hi Adpowah.

I discovered HST over 1 and a half years ago. Ever since then i've been itching to give it a proper go to gain hypertrophy. The problem was I'd put on a ton of weight at that point (pretty much all fat) by following strength routines and eating. Back then I didn't have much knowledge about macro nutrients etc and was just guessing. I did things wrong.

So for 1 and a half years I have been doing hst on a deficit. I've pretty much just been repeating the cycle over and over while losing weight. Each time I repeating the cycle I would lose a little more strength.

I continued to lose weight from the post I made back in September. I lost weight until Christmas. It's the 3 months after Christmas where I only lost an additional 3 pounds in 3 months. I lost over 2 stone in total over 1 and a half years. I had a physical a couple of months ago where I was surprised to learn my body fat percentage was 25%. I didn't think I was as high as that after all the dieting.

I don't think I have the type of body that can get ripped and I was getting tired of just going to the gym with the goal of losing weight and gaining no strength or muscle (and losing strength).

So I've done a first true cycle of HST on a gaining diet. I've done everything correct this time with macro nutrients and measuring everything. I've gained 5 - 7 pounds. But hardly any muscle. I've just increased my waist size. I was hoping for better after waiting all this time to test it.

The good thing is i've enjoyed my training more than I have for the past 1 and a half years. It felt like I had more of a purpose and my strength has shot back. Not too far from where I was before. Hypertrophy is my goal though

Chris

I don't think I have the type of body that can get ripped
Chris

No personal offense is intended, but this is complete nonsense. If I put you in a detention camp on minimum nutrition and calories, you'll get ripped. Going on Survivor until you're 6-pack superman will make you ripped.

The problem isn't your body, the problem is your method and/or application.

Maybe you are right. But with me being an endomorph the calories I probably need to consume in order to get ripped are too low for me to sustain. Friends at the gym who are my height can get ripped on 2700 cals a day. I eventually worked my way down to 2000 cals a day and weightloss stopped. I can't go lower and sustain training.

Maybe you are right. But with me being an endomorph the calories I probably need to consume in order to get ripped are too low for me to sustain. Friends at the gym who are my height can get ripped on 2700 cals a day. I eventually worked my way down to 2000 cals a day and weightloss stopped. I can't go lower and sustain training.

THERE ARE NO ENDOMORPHS.

You're also not going to have an accurate measure of accurate expenditure, necessary intake and maintenance without trial & error.

The problem here is that you aren't psychologically comfortable gaining, and you're saying that you aren't physically comfortable cutting.

You should also stop comparing yourself to your friends. They don't share your body, your metabolic rate (which means calories necessary to live, as well as your basal heat-management). They don't share your bone density, ailments, strengths or anything like that.

Frankly, as adpowah indicated, it's really hard to tell what you want to achieve here. If you're having issues losing fat, then you're eating more than you realise. You're having problems getting bigger, you aren't eating enough - No.1, and may also have training problems - No.2.

Since you were at the doctor did you get your blood work done to make sure everything is within normal range? If it is, then you may just want to increase your cardio if you can't solve this with diet. That's a short term solution because you will have to figure out the diet aspect for long term success. Sometimes my body hits sticking points on the weight and I need to give it a little push to start the weight loss again. You can do this by caloric expenditure or restriction. If restriction seems impossible then just expend more. Now I blasted myself doing HIIT and it was a total failure and lost strength, you probably don't want to do that unless you have great cardio. However I found that for me it's pretty easy to walk an extra mile each day at about 4 miles an hour (add an incline if that's too easy). It takes a little while so watch some youtube or whatever. I find this doesn't get in the way of training or recovery but offers my a bit of an extra caloric expenditure until I can get my restriction in place.

One other thing is you seem a bit mopey, do you get enough sleep each night (or on medications)? I started aiming for 9 hours a night and my will power has greatly increased. You might want to try that too.

Edit: I don't know why my previous post was deleted but whatevs.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure why you are posting here if you aren't going to actually listen to what is being said. It kind of sounds like you are just looking for someone to endorse your reasons for not succeeding.

It is impossible to not lose weight if you cut calories far enough. Impossible. Lyle recently posted an article about this, I suggest you look it up.

It is impossible for you to know that you gained little or no muscle on your bulk, as you did not measure anything that could tell you that.

Jester,

What I've always wanted to achieve was to build as much muscle as possible. I don't have a problem gaining weight. The problem is if I eat and train I get fat. If I diet I do lose fat but never get anywhere close to lean.

I assume the 3 body types are just a name that is given to people with certain characteristics. If they don't exist then why do people fit them? For example people classed as "mesomorphs" only usually put fat on their belly if they gain fat. Most people who get fat don't usually put it on thighs, butt, hips etc. So there must be differences in body types.

Adpowah,

I did get my bloodwork done but when my results came back they hadn't checked testosterone which is what I wanted. They checked a whole other roster of stuff which came back fine. Cholesterol was slightly higher than normal.

Totentanz,

I'm sure it is impossible not to lose weight if you go low enough but the problem is being able to sustain it. I went as low as about 1700 cals for 3 weeks. I didn't lose much but I couldn't keep that up. I was doing hst 3 days a week plus 2 - 3 days HIIT.

Although I haven't measured yet (working on that) I know my body pretty well and the clothes I wear and how they fit etc.

Mick,

I'm not sure 100% how they measured it but I think it was height and weight. The doc did a bunch of stuff (blood pressure, weigh, measured height). At the end he said your body fat percentage is normal. Out of curiosity I asked what it was he said 25%.

Chris

Are you sure he wasn't talking about BMI because the acceptable average range is between 18 and 24% with over 25% considered obese. Did he measure your waist, hip and neck?

Hi Mick.

It could have been BMI. Sorry but I thought it was the same thing. He didn't measure waist neck or hip

BMI is not suitable for people that lift weights, I was weighing 176lbs and everyone I know said I had lost too much weight and looking skinny (bastards) and my BMI was over 25 which put me in the overweight bracket yet caliper readings had me at just under 8% body fat I personally felt between 10 and 12% based on the fact you could see the outline of my abs so I still had a layer of fat covering. The best method is to buy some calipers and monitor fat gains etc with that.

Last edited:
Back