End of 5's results

Mick,

I will get some calipers. I'm definitely no where near 10% though.
Chris,

Whatever you do do not get bogged down by the % it gives as it will only be an estimation, just monitor the overall total of mm of skinfold for whichever method you use (JP3, JP4, JP5, Parillo or DW - note: JP3 is the only one that you can do on your own) and use this as a guide to how much you are gaining / losing. I downloaded an app called 'Body Tracker' that will calculate your Body Fat levels based on all of the aforementioned methods.

BMI is a fraud.

Exactly. Just for a point of reference, in the picture in my avatar, my BMI was 32. My insurance rates went up because I'm dangerously obese.

So... please don't use BMI as a guide post. It is a great tool for the non-lifting population since, you know, someone my height who weighs the same as me and isn't a lifter is most likely a fat bastard. Not for anyone who is active in any sort of an athletic sense though.

And it based on a formula that was first noted in 1832, here in the UK they are looking at other methods and a new version based on your weight and height is being thought about (1.3 x weight, divided by height to the power 2.5) but again this will not work as any formula based on only these two factors does not take into consideration any muscularity (this only reduces my BMI by 0.5) - no doubt the Government paid someone a fortune to come up with this idea!!!!!!

Totz, I was once denied health insurance because my BMI was over 30. They called me obese. Through my lawyer, I sent them a picture of me showing, at the time, a 32" waist and asked if they would also deny Arnold in his prime and if it was their corporate policy to discriminate against lean, muscular people. They gave me the insurance and never said another word.

I did my bi-annual check-up a few weeks ago. My bmi was 26, putting me in the overweight range. I replied with some visible abs and a laugh. The nurse was aware of the downside to using bmi as a marker for health (in some cases).
I had a bmi of 31 just before christmas 6ft/222lbs and I must admit that I did actualy feel obese. Never gain will I bulk as far as I did there!

Back