etothepii's HST adventure!!!

I

imported_etothepii

All right!!!!!

So what's going on as I start my journal...

Today is March 12. I began a cutting cycle on January 1. I was in the post 5's of an HST cycle when I started. I believe I was lifting 4 times per week: 10's, 10's back to back, doing an A/B split, then rest, 5A, rest, 5B, rest, 10A, 10B, etc. Strength was going up, even a week or more into the cut. Then I decided to start a new cycle in the 10s. I did 6 weeks, and noticed strength going down hill, so I slowly increased calories, and started a new cycle, this time in the 15s.

That's where I stand today: one week of 15s done, close to what must be maintenance calories. I plan on eating "just enough" for another week or so, hoping to stabilize strength for a while, and kick start some good fat loss when I start cutting in earnest again.

For the record, I weighed 167 on January 1, and I weigh 152 today. For the first time in my life, I'm starting to see abs without flexing.

A year ago, I weighed 147, and I didn't see abs, so I feel that I surely gained at least 5 lbs muscle in the past year, but probably more. Considering all the mistakes I made, particularly in diet, I'm pretty happy.

My current routine:

A: Dead Lift
A: Bench Press
A: Chins
A: Upright rows
B: Squat
B: Dips
B: Bent Rows
B: Military Press
Curls
Skull Crushers
Rotator Cuffs

I plan on 30 reps throughout the cycle, so 2x15, 3x10, and 6x5.
On A day, I do full sets of A lifts, one set of B lifts, and two sets of Isos. Vice-a-versa on B days.

After lifting, I go right to cardio and do intervals. One day per week, I'm doing some ab stuff: Situps, crunches, and Russian twists, planks, plus cardio, and one day, I'm doing lower intensity cardio.

2.718 ^ 3.1416,

Looks pretty good. It does seem like it could make for long workouts as the sets increase in the 10s and 5s. I take it you're still doing A/B 2x each per week? For me, four times per week (tried it with Max-Stim) got to be too much pretty quickly once I got to heavier weights.

Nice job getting lean. Do you have a rough idea how low you will go in terms of body fat %? I know that you visit Lyle's site and was wondering if you've read his article on partitioning. As I recall, he bottom lined it at recommending bulking starting at 10-12% and going up to 15% before cutting.

Anyway, good job so far, keep it up!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Looks pretty good. It does seem like it could make for long workouts as the sets increase in the 10s and 5s. I take it you're still doing A/B 2x each per week?</div>

I'm lifting three times per week. I'll only be doing full sets of 4 exercises. The other 4 will be one set only, and the isos will be 2 sets each, so the volume of the &quot;dominant&quot; lifts will be the same each workout, but the others will decrease. This should keep the time factor down. Right now, a workout is &lt;40 minutes. I then do 20 minutes of cardio (this may decrease to as little as 12 minutes in the 5s). I don't see the total exercise time being more than 75 minutes at the end.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I know that you visit Lyle's site and was wondering if you've read his article on partitioning. As I recall, he bottom lined it at recommending bulking starting at 10-12% and going up to 15% before cutting.
</div>

I was planning to go down to about 10% then start my weird, slow bulk idea (more to come later!)

I did several online bf calculators, using height, weight, various tape measurements. They come in at 17 to 20% right now. That seems high to me, but I carry a lot of fat below the belly button and in the love handles. Though my upper abs are peaking through, I'm still very doughy in the spare tire area. I think I'll be cutting 10 more pounds or so before I'm through. If it goes tough, I might try the PSMF for a couple weeks at the end.

Anyhow, I plan on staying in the 10-15% range for the rest of my life. (Once I get there, of course!!)

Nice routine you got there, X sets A 1 set B on A day and vice versa on B.
Congratulations to the results (that you see abs without flexing on a weight higher than a year ago).
I am also on a cutting cycle (since 2nd jan) but I am still fighting to get the abs showing at all.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Sniggel @ Mar. 13 2007,16:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice routine you got there, X sets A 1 set B on A day and vice versa on B.
Congratulations to the results (that you see abs without flexing on a weight higher than a year ago).
I am also on a cutting cycle (since 2nd jan) but I am still fighting to get the abs showing at all.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Thanks ... mind you, I'm just seeing a slight shadow under my upper two. Still excited, but I'm not letting it go to my head where I start eating like a pig tomorrow!!!
tounge.gif

Not much to update. Stillin the 15s. My weight has stabalized at 150, but my waist is continuing to shrink. I'm eating 2500 calories per day, 2300 if I don't workout that day.

If my weight stays stable for another week, I will begin cutting again. Minus 100 calories every other day or so until I'm at about 2000 per day. If I can start losing 1.5 lbs per week again, I'll be looking at 6 to 7 weeks of cutting.

Then I SD and eat maintenance, and start my new and improved HST workout!

Sounds like you have a well-thought-out plan.

I have a love-hate relationship with 15s. I've only done 1 set when in the 15s, which is good for shorter workouts even with around 10 exercises. On the other hand, 15 rep squats suck, even for 1 set. I refuse to do 15 rep deadlifts, and did hyperextensions last time.

Yea that looks like a good workout plan -1. I was thinking about doing something similar, but decided to do a no-frills workout ;)

I'm not really anywhere near abs yet, but I'm fairly certain I can get down to near 10% by June 10th or so. Anyways, way to go.

I've finished the 15s, and my work schedule has changed, so I am changing my routine to a upper/lower split. That way, I'll have 6 workouts per week, which I think will be nice for cutting. Consistant calorie expenditure each day except Sunday, which I can deal with easily.

Upper day:
A: Bench Press
A: Chins
A: Upright rows
B: Dips
B: Bent Rows
B: Military Press
Curls
Skull Crushers
Rotator Cuffs

Lower Day:
Dead Lift
A: Squat
B: Front Squat
Calves
Situps
Crunches
Russian Twists

I'm introducing front squats (never really done before) and calves (haven't done in a while) so I will be testing weights as I go -- not a progression so to speak, but in a cutting cycle, I'm not concerned in a strict progression anyway. By the time I get to an actual bulking cycle, that will be worked out.

After each workout I'll do 15 minutes Interval cardio, as high intensity as I can manage.

Good luck with doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. I've done it before, but when the weights get heavy, it starts to become very difficult.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 21 2007,13:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good luck with doing squats and deadlifts on the same day.  I've done it before, but when the weights get heavy, it starts to become very difficult.</div>
I know. But with calves and abs, there's not that much else going on that day, so it should be OK, let's hope.

I had the same thought as Colby. I'm in the 10s and doing Sumo DL once/week, squats twice. Ten rep DLs and squats the same day would be tough, but maybe you're better at high reps than I am.

Anyway, though, there's no law that says you can't change it or cut the number of sets if both on the same day is too tough.

Don't forget, I have just over a year's experience lifting, so my RMs aren't that high. Throw in the fact that HST is sub max most of the time, I don't think I'll have a big problem, really!

I've always been intrigued by the 6x a week upper/lower split. I am kinda out with the super-high frequency lifting though, it just starts dominating me when the weights get heavy.

OK, now I'm second guessing my lower body day. I caould alternate squats and DL's, and drop front squats.

But then, I'm just doing one compound, calves and abs. Since I'm cutting, I would like some more calorie burning work to go on. Maybe I'll throw leg extensions and curls back in.... I need help!

My back is stronger than my legs, and my leverage is such that my back does most of the work in DLs, especially conventional. Thus, I add some leg extensions on DL only days. Conversely when I do high-bar ATG squats my legs do most of the work, as I'm not strong enough in squats to tax my back a lot. So, for me, a squat only day is a good one in which to add hypers or good mornings. You may be different, that's just how it works for me.

When I first did ATG squats, my hams got sore, so there is some benefit for them. I feel it more, though, when I do leg curls or GHRs, so I do think those are a good option for more work.

I'm tempted to suggest throwing in some clean and jerks, snatches, or the like at the end of the workout, should you wish to expend more energy. That can hit your shoulders and traps, though, which for me might already get enough on the upper days plus deadlifts. If you add some, I'd keep it light and not overdo it, more for technique and calorie burning.

Probably more direct cardio work may be what you really want, but I've done a lousy job of getting that in lately, so I'm not the best example. Anyway, those are my thoughts, may or may not be the best suggestions for you.

What I'm working on here is a 5 minute warmup, 30 lifting, 10 minute HIIT, 5 minute cool down workout. I'm doing short rests between sets (as I can manage, longer as I reach rms).

My goal is six days of fairly similar work, but high intensity intervals throughout most of it (I see this kind of lifting as interval training!) Max calorie burn with muscle preservation being the outcome I hope for (of course).

After my first lower body workout, I can say I like it.

Back