few questions and advice please

some_guy

i've done a few cycles of hst now and am looking to possibly change my workout. i try to hit each muscle group at least twice, and from two different angles. the problem i have with this workout is the military press. my progress is going backwards with it and it just hurts my wrists and back. with all the other stuff i have could i just drop it? or should i throw in something else for my shoulders? also the upright rows are hard on my wrists too, but i was thinking maybe if i used a curved bar rather than a straight one it might help?? i guess what im wondering is would i be better off skipping these exercises and if i would need to add something to work the shoulders more. if you guys could just take a quick look at my workout and tell me what you think about the exercises i have i would appreciate it.

I dropped the squats from it and just do the deadlift, lunges and calf raises for lower body instead. i do shrugs and calf raises with the deadlift bar between sets of dead. then i use the same weight for lunges as i have on for upright rows. and the obliques thing shouldn't be there, i just do twisting situps or whatever you wanna call them.
7e027466bcc5d18dcac822c7e025da41200510060_full.jpg

You can replace military press with DB shoulder press. It may be easier on your wrists that way.

You're doing bench, so that should be hitting your front delts as well.

2 quick points:

1. Don't worry about zig-zag too much if it's between the 15s and 10s.

2. The incrementations look fine to me.

some_guy

Perhaps you should strengthen the wrists, wrist curls and reverse wrist curls are good for this.

The mil press is the king of shoulder exrcises, but if you have issues, use a high incline bench (back issues) and do D/B presses or Arnold presses they are also good
happy.gif

Just a question, you are using very minimal weights for bench (90) against a very nice squat weight, is there a mistake or what? You should be in the 200 pound region at least to get motor unit engaement that'll lead to growth!

Your shoulders/biceps etc, all seem to be doing quite a bit in terms of weight, surely that is mistake and I'll read it as that, else we have something radically wrong there. :confused:

the shoulder press is great for shoulers,its proberbly your technique i would imagine you are doing them stood up(or seated) Hyperextending :arching your back so letting your wrists drop horizontally which maybe the cause.try to do them seated with less weight keeping your back firm against the seat. hope that helps

thanx for the replies, i think instead of miltary press ill use dumbbells and sit down. maybe use the arnold press technique.

Fausto, what do you mean by your question "Your shoulders/biceps etc, all seem to be doing quite a bit in terms of weight, surely that is mistake and I'll read it as that, else we have something radically wrong there." and by the way the bench weight is with dumbbells, otherwise i would be around the 200 pound range with a bar like you said. i just like to use dumbbells instead.

some_guy

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Your shoulders/biceps etc, all seem to be doing quite a bit in terms of weight, surely that is mistake and I'll read it as that, else we have something radically wrong there."

Exactly that, I read you loud and clear, D/B's were not mentioned so it just did not read right. Goodie, then let's proceed with more intersting things.
tounge.gif

The Arnold press is pretty good and sitting down saves your back, a winning conbibnation I'd say!
happy.gif

Back