Finished First Cycle. Doing Too Much ?

robthebeast

Tomorow will be the last day of my first HsT cycle. Was wondering if i could get some advice on maybe condensing this routine. Im in the gym way too long and its exhausting me. I didnt gain any weight these 6 weeks so i increased calories this past week. Ppl have commented telling me i look bigger but i dont see it. Anyways heres what i typically do in the gym:

Bench
Incline bench
Row
Lat pull
Overhead press machine
Close grip bench
Skullcrusher
Shrug
Rear delt fly
Squat
Leg curl
Dumbell bicep curl
Ab machine
Lat raises
Reverse ez bar curl
Barbell wrist curl

Should i drop any of these or make some sort of other change? Just feels im in gym too long and sometimes if i dont finish ill go the next day and i end up being in the gym all week.

Last edited:
Dude. Waaaaaay too many excercises. Not sure of your lifting age/experience but nonetheless, search this forum for “simplify and win” post and give it a good read. Then enjoy the results.

Tomorow will be the last day of my first HsT cycle. Was wondering if i could get some advice on maybe condensing this routine. Im in the gym way too long and its exhausting me. I didnt gain any weight these 6 weeks so i increased calories this past week. Ppl have commented telling me i look bigger but i dont see it. Anyways heres what i typically do in the gym:

Bench
Incline bench
Row
Lat pull
Overhead press machine
Close grip bench
Skullcrusher
Shrug
Rear delt fly
Squat
Leg curl
Dumbell bicep curl
Ab machine
Lat raises
Reverse ez bar curl
Barbell wrist curl

Should i drop any of these or make some sort of other change? Just feels im in gym too long and sometimes if i dont finish ill go the next day and i end up being in the gym all week.

Yeah far too many exercises... and that's definitely a sign if you're exhausted!

So to me:
-No point doing Incline bench if you're doing Bench (or vice versa)
-same with Row and Lat Pull
-same with Closegrip bench and Skullcrusher
-same with db curl and reverse curl
-wrist curls are your call, I never do stuff like that as wrist flexors get alot of work on pretty much most upper body exercises. Mine have actually because quite inflexible as a result)

Feels like you're trying to cover every single base and not miss anything out, but alot of repeated exercises already hit the same muscle group. And a major part of HST is frequency, so in order to have a higher frequency you can't do too much in the one session. The volume is spread out over the week. If your frequency was lower (2 times a week), then you could split it up and do more exercises/volume per muscle group.

You could even do an ABA setup and alternate those exercises each workout, a popular option.

So I reckon:

Bench/Incline bench
Row/Lat pull
Overhead press machine/Lat raises
Close grip bench/Skullcrusher
Shrug
Rear delt fly
Squat
Leg curl
Dumbell bicep curl/Reverse ez bar curl

(Only if you have time/energy:
Ab machine
Barbell wrist curl)

You could pick either option as the main exercise you run, or do them ABA (alternate them). Some here would simplify even further too!

But the main go is to really hone in and focus on what HST is about: frequent loading, progressing load. I've tried doing too much 3 times a week and it's just exhausting... especially because you're constantly progressing the load each and every workout, it takes its toll, and makes sense to keep it simpler. Working hard and nailing those fewer exercises with a good frequency, and progressing the load at a volume that's manageable.

Good to hear from ya dude!

Yeah far too many exercises... and that's definitely a sign if you're exhausted!

So to me:
-No point doing Incline bench if you're doing Bench (or vice versa)
-same with Row and Lat Pull
-same with Closegrip bench and Skullcrusher
-same with db curl and reverse curl
-wrist curls are your call, I never do stuff like that as wrist flexors get alot of work on pretty much most upper body exercises. Mine have actually because quite inflexible as a result)

Feels like you're trying to cover every single base and not miss anything out, but alot of repeated exercises already hit the same muscle group. And a major part of HST is frequency, so in order to have a higher frequency you can't do too much in the one session. The volume is spread out over the week. If your frequency was lower (2 times a week), then you could split it up and do more exercises/volume per muscle group.

You could even do an ABA setup and alternate those exercises each workout, a popular option.

So I reckon:

Bench/Incline bench
Row/Lat pull
Overhead press machine/Lat raises
Close grip bench/Skullcrusher
Shrug
Rear delt fly
Squat
Leg curl
Dumbell bicep curl/Reverse ez bar curl

(Only if you have time/energy:
Ab machine
Barbell wrist curl)

You could pick either option as the main exercise you run, or do them ABA (alternate them). Some here would simplify even further too!

But the main go is to really hone in and focus on what HST is about: frequent loading, progressing load. I've tried doing too much 3 times a week and it's just exhausting... especially because you're constantly progressing the load each and every workout, it takes its toll, and makes sense to keep it simpler. Working hard and nailing those fewer exercises with a good frequency, and progressing the load at a volume that's manageable.

Good to hear from ya dude!

Thanksnfor the info. Condensed my workout this week a bit more and feels alot better

Question. Its ok to extend the 5’s a couple extra weeks right ?

Thanksnfor the info. Condensed my workout this week a bit more and feels alot better

Question. Its ok to extend the 5’s a couple extra weeks right ?
Ah that's awesome it feels a bit better. It shouldn't leave you dead after workouts IMO.

And yep, absolutely you can extend them. What O&G said, if you're feeling good, not overly fatigued, no real niggles or pain in joints, go for it. And here's where listening to yourself becomes really important :)

Just a quick comment on training a specific muscle at different angles. When choosing exercises, don't think in terms of "hitting it from all angles". Think in terms of stretch.

In general, you should pick a single exercise for each muscle that you think works best for you. Then, pick one that you feel is second best that you can use as an alternate. The only time when training the same muscle at two different angles (i.e. planes of motion) is helpful is when you are talking about "convergent" muscles. There are really only two, the pecs and lats. For pecs chose two angles up and down. I like incline and dips because flat bench hurts my shoulders. For lats chose two angles, pull from above and pull from in front (elbows out).

Selecting compound movements also is more efficient than isolation movements.

Back