Fish Oil Supplements

JimmyV

If I'm taking fish oil gel caps, 1,000 mg each, how many should I take in a day? Also, has anyone heard if the Flax Seed oil is less effective than the powder or pills?

Between 10 and 20 to get a decent amount of omega 3. Salmon oil is a little lower than cod liver oil I think, but I can't remember.

I use cod liver oil, bottled in glass and get around 2 tablespoons per day which give me around 4 gr of omega 3. Plus some walnuts or sardines so it's around 6 gr.

Are your cod livers deficient, 2 T here will give me 5.1g LCPUFA's ;)
If you go from a medical point of view, their maximum recommended dose is around 1-3g per day. From a research point of view, they go up to around 18g/day. From the Inuit point of view, they (used to) eat around 13g/day of epa/dha. From a nutrient partitioning effect, it can happen with ~6+g per day, and if you look at Stephen Clarkes work, he shows some evidence of a decent effect with 5+% of the dietary energy comming from fish oils (from memory), so for a 3000kcal diet, it would be just over 1T.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 22 2003,10:31)]Are your cod livers deficient, 2 T here will give me 5.1g LCPUFA's ;)
Well, here it is 1.5 gr per 10 ml, so 2 tablespoons is around 26 ml (isn't it?) which goes at around 4 gr. Maybe it is different, don't know....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you go from a medical point of view, their maximum recommended dose is around 1-3g per day. From a research point of view, they go up to around 18g/day. From the Inuit point of view, they (used to) eat around 13g/day of epa/dha. From a nutrient partitioning effect, it can happen with ~6+g per day, and if you look at Stephen Clarkes work, he shows some evidence of a decent effect with 5+% of the dietary energy comming from fish oils (from memory), so for a 3000kcal diet, it would be just over 1T.

Ah!! Talk about confliting advice! Anyway, 6 gr should be ok, shouldn't it?

I'm currently taking 2g of fish oil caps daily along with a table spoon of flax seed oil split between 3 different meals. I'm hoping this is enough!?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (restless @ Jan. 23 2003,10:49)]Well, here it is 1.5 gr per 10 ml, so 2 tablespoons is around 26 ml (isn't it?) which goes at around 4 gr. Maybe it is different, don't know....
Ahh, thats probably the difference, NZ tablespoons are 15ml, or ~14g of oil. So its probably the same.
The USDA database puts it the same way too. hmmm
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ah!! Talk about confliting advice! Anyway, 6 gr should be ok, shouldn't it?
yes, indeedo, but at least most of the information is all good :)
6gm of epa/dha is relatively high in context of a normal population, but its within reason. I am sitting around 3gm at the moment, but I am just coasting. I am planning on trialing a heavier dosage at some point.

Does anyone have any concerns about the possible amount of toxins(DDT, PCB, mercury) in health food grade fish oils, as compared to Pharmaceutical Grade, at the 10 -20 gm ranges?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mlingle @ Jan. 24 2003,1:56)]Does anyone have any concerns about the possible amount of toxins(DDT, PCB, mercury) in health food grade fish oils, as compared to Pharmaceutical Grade, at the 10 -20 gm ranges?
The molecular distillation process is suposed to rid of heavy metals and other toxins. According to Jules, this process also filters cholesterol so if the label mentions any cholesterol content, it hasn't gonne through it.

Hmmmm, my cod liver oil just says that its just cold filtered, and they state 'trace' for cholesterol/100ml but the USDA database comes out with 570g/100g

i hate to start new topics just to aks something, so here goes:

i'm taking omega 3 gel caps, 1000mg. there's just one thing, is there anybody else that has a problem with the nasty taste come in your mouth due to gasforming in your stomach?
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (marc999 @ Jan. 27 2003,4:21)]i hate to start new topics just to aks something, so here goes:
i'm taking omega 3 gel caps, 1000mg. there's just one thing, is there anybody else that has a problem with the nasty taste come in your mouth due to gasforming in your stomach?
sad.gif
Yeah, the burping will stop after a while (1-2 weeks). But you have to be consistant with taking it.

hey, now that i'm trying out some cod liver oil, i'm wondering about the possible toxicity of the vitamins A and D, which cod liver oil has ample amounts of. since fat soluble vitamins tend to stick around in the body, i'm wondering at what levels should i be worried? i'm looking to take in about a tablespoon a day. i also take half a multi-vit/min, usually only on rest days. some of the protein bars i eat (about 2 every 3 days) are also fortified around the 25% RDA range.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mlingle @ Jan. 23 2003,4:56)]Does anyone have any concerns about the possible amount of toxins(DDT, PCB, mercury) in health food grade fish oils, as compared to Pharmaceutical Grade, at the 10 -20 gm ranges?
I wouldn't suggest you take omega-3s at 10-20 grams/day. You may experience troubles with blood clotting as well as supress the immune system.

2-8 grams per day will do what you want it to. Anything over 2 does slow clotting time.

You are not getting any more toxins in fish oil than you are in eating tuna or other fish. In fact, anything that comes from the oceans is going to have industrial toxins in it, especially clams, muscles, oysters, etc. They eat by filtering sea water and as a result, accumulate high concentrations of toxins.

Anyway, my point is, don't go overboard with the fish oil (get it
laugh.gif
). Stick with about 2-6 grams depending on how big you are, and add some CLA for an extra kick.

what about vit A and D toxicity from cod liver oil?

and about the CLA, bryan... what is the study that led you to recommend 6-10g in the FAQ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Feb. 11 2003,4:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mlingle @ Jan. 23 2003,4:56)]Does anyone have any concerns about the possible amount of toxins(DDT, PCB, mercury) in health food grade fish oils, as compared to Pharmaceutical Grade, at the 10 -20 gm ranges?
I wouldn't suggest you take omega-3s at 10-20 grams/day. You may experience troubles with blood clotting as well as supress the immune system.
2-8 grams per day will do what you want it to. Anything over 2 does slow clotting time.
You are not getting any more toxins in fish oil than you are in eating tuna or other fish. In fact, anything that comes from the oceans is going to have industrial toxins in it, especially clams, muscles, oysters, etc. They eat by filtering sea water and as a result, accumulate high concentrations of toxins.
Anyway, my point is, don't go overboard with the fish oil (get it
laugh.gif
). Stick with about 2-6 grams depending on how big you are, and add some CLA for an extra kick.
I think he meant 10-20 gr of fish oil, which is way less than 10-20 gr of O3.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tai4ji2x @ Feb. 11 2003,9:47)]and about the CLA, bryan... what is the study that led you to recommend 6-10g in the FAQ?
I don't have it in front of me but it comes from two observations made in the research.

1) Rats will respond 7 times greater to CLA than humans because of their size (BMR:Bodymass ratio)

2) CLA is preferentially oxidized in the liver first pass compared to other fats (accept MCT). In order for CLA to have a significant effect on body composistion, it must make its way into the fat cell. In other wards, you want CLA to be stored as fat. Otherwise its just an expensive fuel for the liver.

So 3 grams on an empty stomach isn't going to do much. 3 grams after a meal will do much more. 6 grams ofer a meal will do even more. In this case, more is better.

I had a question about how effective fish oil caps are...I've read conflicting opinions about the "freshness" of the caps and whether or not typical caps will really be helpful. For example, I use Members Mark Omega 3s, which is a Sam's Club generic brand that is really cheap (something like $25 for 300 caps). Now, I doubt these caps are ever refrigerated during shipment or storage, so how do I know if they are fresh? I'm assuming if the oil goes rancid that they are useless? I broke one open and smelled it, and it smelled bad, but I dunno if it smells 'rancid' or just like fish oil that is compressed into a capsule for months.

Any thoughts, comments? Should I look for a "fresher" source of oil (besides just eating fish, of course)?

Back