Gator's Training Log

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Oct. 01 2007,17:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In good news, I matched my 5RM PR on deadlifts today with the 5x5 program so here on out I should hopefully be setting new 5RM PR's every Monday for the rest of the program.</div>
Congrats on your deads!

Sorry to hear about the Auburn game...
sad.gif

Ok, so I have some catch-up to do on this log. I did workout #11, but that was last Wednesday and honestly, I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head. I did not workout Friday as we had a roadtrip to LSU for the game. So I will start at Workout #12, which was yesterday, or Monday.

Workout #12

Chest
Cable Flies 30 x 20, 40 x 15, 40 x 7
Incline Smith 95 x 20, 105 x 11, 105 x 12
Flat DB Press 30's x 20, 35's x 20, 35's x 14

Triceps
Tri Pushdown 40 x 20, 50 x 20, 60 x 13
Closegrip Bench 85 x 15, 85 x 20, 95 x 9

5x5
DL 175 x 5, 195 x 5, 215 x 5, 235 x 5, 255 x 5 PR

Wow, am I feeling the DOMS in my chest today. I am starting to get a better feel for what weights I need to use for this rep range... and hopefully I can start progressing the load a little better from week to week when I do this. The DL PR was very nice. I can see 300 getting closer and closer every week. I am thinking about tinkering with the frequency. Instead of doing 3 w/o's last week, I only did 2, and the DL's seemed so much easier. I would still do my normal w/o with the same frequency, but just drop down the 5x5 somewhat. We will see.

Hey Gator - the PR on your deads is GREAT! CONGRATS!

On frequency - what if you dropped the frequency considerably? Like maybe once per week, or even maybe once every other week? I've read a ton of powerlifting material lately, and one theme that was pretty uniform was that deadlifts were done just about every other week, with other supporting lifts done in between. From my own experience, this seems to really be paying off; after lifting near your max (regardless of rep scheme), your body is in chaos. Give it time to heal and experience whatever gains are to be had, then go again. I really think dropping your frequency will make a HUGE difference on your road to 300, even if you just drop to doing your deads weekly.

Doing the high rep stuff is fun, ain't it?
biggrin.gif

I always wondered how a game at death valley is for the fans?

You are really starting to hit the deads man... awesome!

&quot;I did not workout Friday as we had a roadtrip to LSU for the game. &quot;

I'll betcha didn't workout on Saturday either. As an Ohio State fan, I know what it's like to have to wear one of those black arm bands...

What a terrific football game! I thought you guys had it clear up to the very last. It is not a light thing that LSU is ranked #1, but Florida surely gave them a run for their money.

&quot;DL 175 x 5, 195 x 5, 215 x 5, 235 x 5, 255 x 5 PR&quot;

Congratulations on those deads. It is all the more impressive to PR a set of five.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. To clear one thing up, TunnelRat, not sure if you meant that I did my 1RM PR for 5 reps, but I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do just yet... but that's my 5RM PR... my 1RM at the start of this routine was 275. Trying to get that up to 300 in the next few weeks.

As for death valley.... yikes. Didn't go to the game itself, but we did rent out a bar right next to campus. Let me say, they sure make visiting fans very uncomfortable to say the least. A live gator was hung by a streetlight after the game lol.

And tim, I think I will go with your advice but not quite make the drop to every other week just yet. I will see what happens next week after my deads on Monday, and will do some heavy rack pulls on Friday with minimal reps. So I will probably put 275-285ish on the bar, and do rack pulls on Friday... and come back and hopefully DL with 265 on Monday. We will see.

Workout #13

Back
Lat Pulldowns 80 x 20, 90 x 20, 100 x 7
Seated Rows 70 x 20, 80 x 20, 90 x 12
Serratus Pulldowns 60 x 20, 70 x 20, 80 x 10

Bi's
Incline DB Curls 20's x 10, 20's x 8, 20's x 6  
sad.gif

Preacher's 35 x 20, 45 x 20, 55 x 5

Whew, another one that felt great.  Don't know what's up with my pathetic DB curls, but I guess that's what happens when you don't do them for 5 months.  Preacher's are getting better, along with everything else.  My pecs are still having incredible DOMS, 2 days later.  I love it.  One thing that made me feel great today, was noticing some good hypertrophy results in my legs of all things.  Last year, on the same lat pulldown machine, my legs were so tiny that even the lowest setting on the leg bar still left room for me to get &quot;lifted&quot; off of the seat.  Now I have to actually adjust it up a little bit to be comfortable... if that description makes sense.

I'm starting to see some light here...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last year, on the same lat pulldown machine, my legs were so tiny that even the lowest setting on the leg bar still left room for me to get &quot;lifted&quot; off of the seat. Now I have to actually adjust it up a little bit to be comfortable... if that description makes sense.</div>
Yup, funny how little things like that let us know that the world is changing.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm starting to see some light here...</div>
Let us hope it is not a train coming from the other direction...

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Oct. 10 2007,19:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Don't know what's up with my pathetic DB curls, but I guess that's what happens when you don't do them for 5 months.</div>
More than likely you are carrying over some fatigue from all the back work you did just before.

Is the serratus pulldown that you are doing, a stiff-arm pulldown? ie. it's like a pullover but on a pulldown machine?

Good results with your legs. I do know what you mean.
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As for death valley.... yikes. Didn't go to the game itself, but we did rent out a bar right next to campus. Let me say, they sure make visiting fans very uncomfortable to say the least. A live gator was hung by a streetlight after the game lol.</div>

That's going a bit far with killing an innocent animal, but chalk that up to another reason as to why they call it Death Valley.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is the serratus pulldown that you are doing, a stiff-arm pulldown? ie. it's like a pullover but on a pulldown machine?</div>
Exactly.  I didn't know how to describe it.  

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Let us hope it is not a train coming from the other direction... </div>
LOL.

Workout #14

Shoulders/Traps

Seated DB Militaries 30's x 20, 35's x 8, 35's x 10
DB Shrugs 55's x 20, 60's x 20, 65's x 10
Smith Upright Rows 55 x 20, 65 x 10, 65 x 15
Behind-the-Back Shrugs 95 x 20, 105 x 20, 115 x 10

Good end to the week. Only set back today was I couldn't do my rack pulls... but we will see how dropping my DL frequency to 1x a week will have when I go for a new PR on Monday. Anyways, have a good weekend boys.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Oct. 10 2007,13:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">was noticing some good hypertrophy results in my legs</div>
great to hear those deads are paying off!

I think dropping the frequency of deadlifts will help out your strength a lot. It's something I have done for this cycle. Check back in my log in a couple of weeks once I have the Olympic plates to see how it is going.

Workout #15

Mixing it Up a Little

Flat Bench 205 x 5, 205 x 4, 135 x 13
Chins BW + 10 x 8, 55 x 3, BW x 10
Shrugs 225 x 8, 225 x 5, 135 x 20

5x5
DL 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5, 265 x 5 PR

So I decided to do something even more different today. I've been alternating a week of 5's, with a week of 20's the last couple weeks, and decided to kind of mesh them together in a full body workout. I did this yesterday (Monday). I didn't pick the weights quite right, but it still left me with some decent DOMS. I certainly don't judge the quality of a workout by whether or not I am sore the next day, but I do at least know I am giving my body something it isn't used to which I believe to an extent is good. The &quot;plan&quot; for yesterday, was to do:

Medium Weight x 8, Heavy x 5, Light by 20

There was really no actual reasoning for me doing this, other than I've been trying to spice things up a little bit lately. I did manage to continue to progress on the DL's this week; perhaps dropping the frequency was key. My back and glutes are toasted today though, but not in a bad way. Next week, I will attempt my 1RM PR for 5 reps... so we will see how that goes. 300 is getting closer and closer.

Wow, is this same gatordude from afew months ago? You must be someone else, because your lifts have skyrocketed. I don't remember you benching and deadlifting that much before!! Great job.

smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">300 is getting closer and closer. </div>

Go Gator Go! You may already be able to crack 300lbs for one rep.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Oct. 16 2007,21:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Next week, I will attempt my 1RM  PR for 5 reps... so we will see how that goes.  300 is getting closer and closer.</div>
Good lifting Gator.

Are you doing 'touch and go' reps for your deads or are you resetting the bar each time?

If you are resetting each rep then you should def get 300. Positive thinking and some good rest will help.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Oct. 16 2007,16:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DL 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5, 265 x 5 PR

300 is getting closer and closer.</div>
Aw, yeah! If you've got 265 X 5, you own 300.

Workout #16

Decline DB 60's x 8, 75's x 5, 40's x 16
Pendlays 155 x 8, 165 x 5, 95 x 13
Standing Militaries 95 x 8, 115 x 5, 65 x 13

Seated DB Curls 20's x 13, 10, 9
sad.gif

I'm not sure if I should have done this workout, because I still had serious(but feels good?) DOMS from Monday. I really don't get it, but I like it. As you can see, there was some tinkering with the weights on this as well, as I was again going for a 8-5-20 rep scheme. I added the bi's at the end for some fun, and Friday I will hopefully be able to do some tri's and some RACKpulls, which I've never done. The reason I didn't get to do them last week was because our rack is in our boiler room which sometimes gets locked for random reasons.

Back