General Question about my routine

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Or would you say, just suck it up and pick out 8 exercises and do them 3 times per week?  
I say suck it up. If you are newer to lifting you are going to see the greatest increases by going with the bigger exercises, as you get more developed then worry about adding in more exercises, if needed.
I agree, but if you have been lifting for a while, I would say compare the routines. For example: (don't know what your current methodology is) you have an "arm day" where you do 9 sets of upper arm exercises, and do this once a week. If your new routine does not get you to this total number, you are most likely going backwards initially.

Oh boy! :confused:

Backwards is not the intended direction here...
sad.gif

Another thing: I do not really think it is "straying" at all. As long as you understand the principles and how to follow them, youre good. Just because you use a different exercise each session does not violate this as long as you are covering (roughly) the same area. However, with differing exercises, this is sometimes hard to accomplish. I would recommend to try the big, compound lifts everyday (as dkm stated), as each of those work the maximum area in the minimum time. If and when you realize that there are certain areas these exercises do not develop as well as you would like, then add some isolation exercises to accomidate this. For example, trying to stick closely to the exercises that you have picked, you might try:

Dip
Pulldown
Barbell Row
Incline DB Press
Shrug
SLDL
Squat
Calf Raises
Weighted Crunch or Nelson Situp

There is some excellent material (in addition to the "HST FAQ" material pointed to by dkm) in the "customizing" thread about isolation exercise selection that has helped me much.

yeah, i'm thinking of doing that at least to start things out...

and 2 sets of each is the recommended volume, yes... at least for the 15s and the 1st half of the 10s and 5s?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChrisROCK @ Mar. 30 2005,4:15)]Oh boy!  :confused:
Backwards is not the intended direction here...  
sad.gif
Go for the big ones and do it. If you feel you need more exercises after your first cycle then add em in, no harm no foul. Stop reading and go work out ;)

well, before i get to training, i have to SD...
sad.gif

So, for now...one more question...well maybe more than one... ;)

I've read that when determining Rep Maxes that you should NOT go to failure...rather stop when the pace slows considerably... correct?

Now, I've also read where people say..."Well, you're only going to failure once every two weeks, etc etc".

So, these items seem to conflict... Should I go to failure with my RMs?
blush.gif

Thanks guys...

So, for now...one more answer...well maybe more than one...
:D

Correct, when determining your maxes stop before true concentric failure.

There is nothing wrong with working out to failure, BIG IF, your ability to work out frequently enough to keep protein synthesis high isn't diminished and you can still progressivley load. The biggest problem with working to failure is you can't keep progressively loading, working to failure for most natural trainees put's too much stress on the CNS to be able to keep strength up and hence hampers both progessive loading and frequency.

To answer your question; at the end of 5's you should be fine going to true concentric failure, since you are about to SD anyway, the effect of overeaching wouldn't be realized. BIG but, it is not necessary to train to failure to get the tissue to respond and grow, so it's up to you, if for peace of mind you wish to grunt and groan and sweat then doing it at the end just before SD'ing won't really hurt much.

Back