Gloves?

Discussion in 'Home Exercise Equipment' started by AderynGlas, Feb 3, 2013.

1. AderynGlas

AderynGlas Member

I've looked around and not seen what I'm looking for (previous thread wise).

Is time to get new gloves as they now have a few holes in and are wearing thin. I also need a little more support as they've never really offered me any.

My wrists are slim, and I have thin hands in comparison to most blokes. I think I could also need some straps to help with my dead when I get heavy.

Anyone got any recommendations?

2. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Skip the gloves, let your hands develop more and build up some calluses. It will take ~ a week to get used to the different feel. I used gloves for 4years, then after one pair gave me a slight irritation/rash on my wrist, decided to drop them and haven't looked back.

4. Totentanz

Personally, I find that gloves interfere with my grip too much. I never really was a big fan of them though. Nobody seems to mind my calloused hands.

5. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

I only use gloves for the padding for weighted dips or really heavy benching. There is a lot of pressure on the hand-bones doing heavy weighted dips, other than that I never wear them.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

If I have any pressure issues on dips I use a small towel for each hand. For bench I prefer to go hand-naked (yup, made that one up) so I can get a better (literal) feel for my grip and where I need it to be. Fair enough though.

7. Totentanz

Eventually you develop a shelf on your palms for the bar when benching.

8. AderynGlas

AderynGlas Member

Read a few other reviews and a lot of people pretty much said the same (in-fact most said chalk).

I've gone an ordered a pair, I'll see what they're like when they come (probably Friday) and before then ill get two workouts in without them and see how I get on.

Thanks for the feedback, not sure i like the idea of callous hands though.

9. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

Cotton straps work for deads. Don't spend a lot on metal hooks...not necessary.

10. Totentanz

I like versagrips for ease of use, but I used regular straps for years before that without issue. I like versas simply because it is easier to wrap them.

11. AderynGlas

AderynGlas Member

Ended up buying http://www.rdxinc.co.uk/rdx-pro-lift-weight-lifting-body-building-gloves-gym/.

Reasoning was after my last cycle before Christmas I could really feel my wrists struggling and I've had a few sharp pains in my right wrist from not supporting my weight properly. The ain't the most comfortable of things with the 3 inch wrist guard, but then again I'm only on light weights again at the mo so I guess it's over kill.

Will have to see how long they last (at £16 quid I'm not fussed if I ditch them after a week or so and revert to nothing/something else).

12. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

Building strong hands and wrists takes time. The more you pamper them the less they will toughen up. If you want tougher/thicker fingers then you have to get them to take the load. It won't happen overnight but a few years without gloves will toughen hour hands up nicely. Definitely get some chalk to aid your grip on the bar (the type gymnasts/climbers/Olympic lifters use).