Grip test

Lol

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm interested in the general level of grip strength that you folks have.

Here's a little test that I'd like you to try if you can and then let me know how you get on:

Hang from an overhead chinning bar (or similar) with each hand in turn. Time how long you can hang on for before your grip fails to the nearest second.

I'd like to know your bodyweight, whether you are right or left-handed and the time you held on for with each hand.

It would also be interesting to know how long you can hold on for with both hands until your grip fails.

It's probably best to try this on your non-deadlift day at the end of your workout or on an off-day.

** Edited to add: As Sci pointed out below, this is not a particularly pleasant experience. I just figured you lot were used to a bit of pain.
biggrin.gif

*** Also edited to add that there's some stuff about Captains of Crush grippers further on in the thread if you're interested.

I'll start the ball rolling...

Right-handed, BW 204lbs: right 30 secs, left 17 secs, both 2mins
(Massive pump in my forearms and I am barely able to type this!
biggrin.gif
)

BW- 192 lb.s (cut is going well)

one hand- about 14 seconds each. (very hard.)

both hands- 78 seconds. (Could have held longer but pain was intense.)

I'll try this on my next fitness day but just a quick question -

When might Lol didst descend amongst us and decree we should checkest our grip strength with first one arm, then the other, then the twain together...did he bestowest upon us the gift of gloveth protection or did he banish such p*ssy-like accessories to the underworld?

Sorry, not sure what came over me!
biggrin.gif

But are gloves allowed?

Cheers

Rob

Yeah, gloves allowed, straps not so much!
biggrin.gif
I guess chalk's OK too.

One of the reasons for my interest in grip strength is because of my recent endeavors to improve mine and my discovery that my left-hand strength is hopeless compared to my right. I've always worn lifting gloves (to keep my hands all soft, ah, bless!) but I found that if I took them off I could hold on to a bar for longer. I haven't tried chalk yet. Maybe talcum powder is a good substitute? I'm sure I have some of that in the house somewhere.

Not wearing gloves can be painfull specially with a heavy deadlift!

I guess I'll give this a try! Will post soon!

Thanks Bulldog. My chemistry is not up to much. So I need proper magnesium carbonate. Right, I'll get some of that then.

interesting about the gloves....I tried it again with both hands locked around the bar and this time barehanded and gritting through the finger pain.

2 minutes and 8 seconds.

I have always been proud of my grip strength and I set out to beat your time, Lol!
biggrin.gif
  After about 80 seconds I glanced at the stop watch since the intense finger pain started...then I just kept holding on until the 2 minutes mark and gave it my all to get those last 8 seconds!

Now I know what you mean about forearm pump and difficulty typing.  Yesterday I wussed out and let go when my fingers hurt and experienced no such forearm pump.

I am not sure how good this is, since nobody else responded yet.  I can see this thread becoming some childish competition between Lol and I!
laugh.gif

That's great Carl. A bit of healthy competition is always a great way to find out what you are really capable of. Barehanded is definitely better for me.

Come on everyone. It's got to be worth a couple of minutes to find out whether or not you should be working on your grip and whether you have an imbalance (as I have).

I tried again this eve and my hands were still really sore from yesterday's attempt. I wussed out this time and didn't make 2 minutes - not so much because of the discomfort, I just couldn't hold on any longer. Yesterdays's attempt to failure obviously took it's toll. Still got a good pump though. I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow. 2 mins and 8 seconds to beat...
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

I was going to do it after last night's workout, but when I finished, I was completely spent! I'll try today before I do my cardio. Don't expect big numbers though!
biggrin.gif

I'll try this out tomorrow assuming I can find my stopwatch... I think my grip strength is good, since I still don't have to use straps for anything, but I guess I'll find out if it stands up to the Lol test.

I look forward to some numbers from Eto and Tot.

Managed 19 seconds with my left hand this eve after my afternoon workout. That's a bit of an improvement but still a long way off my right hand. Didn't try a two handed max. Maybe tomorrow...

I KNEW this was gonna be embarassing. My rusty chin bar is covered in metal duct tape, which is really slippery, so grip is the ONLY thing that will hold you up. So I could only hold up my 213 lbs. today for one minute! AAAAGH!
On the other hand, this is not a grip strength test. It's both grip and endurance. A grip strength test would be like using grippers or one of those machines at the carnivals. I'll have to go down to the gym and try again on a normal bar. Or shake someone's hand really hard. (crunch.)

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 18 2007,02:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">On the other hand, this is not a grip strength test. It's both grip and endurance. A grip strength test would be like using grippers or one of those machines at the carnivals.</div>
Hey Quad, you gotta do single-hand holds too man! Now if that isn't a grip test I'm obviously missing something. Sure the two-handed hold is more a test of endurance (if your grip is pretty good) but it's a bit of fun too.  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Yeah, do try again on a better chinning bar. I'm sure your results will be better.

It wasn't worth fooling with for singles. Smear butter on your bar and you'll see what I mean. Friction plays a big part in this, but a clean, dry hand with a normal iron bar is the constant for this experiment.

TERRIBLE!!!! Oh my gosh, I had no idea how weak I am!!!! Left hand - zero. Couldn't hold myslef up at all. Right hand -- maybe 3 seconds. Both hands -- 33 seconds. This was an eye opener. After cutting, my first HST cycle will include a grip exercise on off days.

Any suggestions? I was already planning some cardio and bas on off days. What would be good for grip? Equipment-wise, I just have some bar bells, plates, and the chin up bar.

I can probably rig up some stuff for farmer's walks. Should I do an HST progressive plan, or just go heavy and try to progress in time/distance?

What I do...deadlift with a double overhand grip and no straps. Thats it! If your grip severely limits your deadlift, then you may have to do some separate gripwork. But the best grip-work I know of is simply full-range deads with double-overhand grip, some say that pulling from a platform is even better for grip (deeper, longer pull).

From what stevejones has said (and his grip is pretty darn good from what I understand) he recommends static holds at the end of your workout with 90% of your max dead lift weight (I think that was what he said for weight).  Or you could probably hang from your pull-up bar as long as possible, weighted if you think it is necessary.  But just hanging as long as possible will probably help.

This is what I'm planning on adding to my workouts.  And I will do them after my workouts not on off days.  I think doing them on off days would be to much work for the forearms with no rest.

<div>
(Bulldog @ Feb. 18 2007,21:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">From what stevejones has said (and his grip is pretty darn good from what I understand) he recommends static holds at the end of your workout with 90% of your max dead lift weight (I think that was what he said for weight).  Or you could probably hang from your pull-up bar as long as possible, weighted if you think it is necessary.  But just hanging as long as possible will probably help.

This is what I'm planning on adding to my workouts.  And I will do them after my workouts not on off days.  I think doing them on off days would be to much work for the forearms with no rest.</div>
Good suggestions, Bulldog. Thanks!!

Back