Grip test

If you don't have the time or the inclnation to do the two-handed hold just do the singles. Much better grip-strength indicator anyway.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">TERRIBLE!!!! Oh my gosh, I had no idea how weak I am!!!! Left hand - zero. Couldn't hold myslef up at all. Right hand -- maybe 3 seconds.</div>

Eto: It is an eye-opener isn't it?! I got a surprise too when I tested mine first but have been working on it recently and my grip is now starting to improve. I have been doing the bar holds with an over-over grip. My left hand always gives out first and that weakness shows up in my single-hand holds too (as is apparent in my second post on this thread). It is starting to improve though.

I tried doing this yesterday at the end of my workout. It was a lot tougher than I thought. Half minute for both arms; didn't even attempt one arm. I'll have to try it on an off day.

OK folks, I'm upping the ante!

Right-hand 36 seconds, left-hand 26 seconds.

That was my third attempt this evening. I seem to get better after a few warm-up attempts. I think it's partly getting used to the discomfort but it's also a gret deal to do with getting a good starting grip.

Maybe in a couple days I'll try to beat the 2:08. Someone like steve jones is bound to beat that....he has an insane grip and just recently finished a cut so he has very little fat to hold up!

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Feb. 20 2007,18:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe in a couple days I'll try to beat the 2:08.  Someone like steve jones is bound to beat that....he has an insane grip and just recently finished a cut so he has very little fat to hold up!</div>
I had a secret hope that Steve would join in the fun.
smile.gif
I imagine that a good deadlifter would do very well with one-handed holds.

Dammit, my stopwatch is dead. If I find a clock that counts seconds or something, then I WILL do this tonight.

I got it; still pretty bad. 14 seconds left arm, 17 seconds right arm and only 1 minute and 20 seconds with both. A little friction did make a difference.

Well that was fun. 34 seconds right, 21 left. Both hands - got bored and gave up after a little over a minute.
My rack is outside right now and it was really cold. Maybe I should have worn gloves...

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 20 2007,15:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ Feb. 20 2007,18:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe in a couple days I'll try to beat the 2:08.  Someone like steve jones is bound to beat that....he has an insane grip and just recently finished a cut so he has very little fat to hold up!</div>
I had a secret hope that Steve would join in the fun.  
smile.gif
I imagine that a good deadlifter would do very well with one-handed holds.</div>
I did this after my grip training work and still got 2 minutes with my left hand, could have gotten more if I was really into it. Didn't bother trying the right hand. I dedicate 15 minutes to training my grip three times per week, so this is like asking a 600 lb bencher to see how many times he can press 135

Not really....you would be surprised at what dedicated grip training can do for you. I always do all my pulling movements with straps (even this korte stuff), and then train grip after workout on m, w, f

I started grip training after my grip failed at somewhere close to 600 lbs on deads, and then became addicted to it.

Steve: Thanks for taking the time to do this. It completely confirms what I thought would be the case. I will be working on my grip much more from now on and coming back to this test to check my progress. As I can do one-hand holds at home I am going to start adding weight soon for them and will keep on pushing it up over the next few years as part of my grip training.

Oh, meant to ask what your bodyweight was right now? I know you have recently been on a cut but can't remember if you said what you got down to.

++++++++++

It's also interesting that the rest of us who have deadlifted a while now can get around 30 seconds or so with our bodyweight. But it is very apparent that this is nowhere near enough to match a really strong grip. Extra grip strength training is now a must for me.

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 23 2007,08:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Steve: Thanks for taking the time to do this. It completely confirms what I thought would be the case. I will be working on my grip much more from now on and coming back to this test to check my progress. As I can do one-hand holds at home I am going to start adding weight soon for them and will keep on pushing it up over the next few years as part of my grip training.

Oh, meant to ask what your bodyweight was right now? I know you have recently been on a cut but can't remember if you said what you got down to.

++++++++++

It's also interesting that the rest of us who have deadlifted a while now can get around 30 seconds or so with our bodyweight. But it is very apparent that this is nowhere near enough to match a really strong grip. Extra grip strength training is now a must for me.</div>
my weight right now is 256, at my lightest after my cut it was 243

As a powerlifter, all you need is a grip strong enough to do your deadlifts, and most bodybuilders can get away with the grip of your average teenager, because there are some pretty good straps out there. So, there really is no need to have such a strong grip, it's just another silly hobby of mine (just like powerlifting and bodybuilding). I am a dime's width from closing this #4, and when I do I'm gonna be ecstatic.

Grip is a very strange thing, and I haven't figured it out yet. Kevin Nee can't even close a COC #2, but can pull 600 off the floor twice with a double overhanded grip. Yet, grippers are initially what helped me to make my grip so much stronger at the deadlift.

Well, my numbers are extremely weak in comparison!

3 seconds each hand! But before it became a test of grip strength, my skin just felt it was going to be ripped off my hand.

1 minute for both hands.

nipponbiki: I think for most of us it's a case of not being used to holding onto our bodyweight with one hand. If you make several attempts you get familiar to the 'experience' and can hold on longer. Why not see whether there is any difference in sensation in holding a chinning bar overhead compared to holding a barbell (double over-hand grip) that is double your bodyweight? For me the sensation is similar although not identical. I think the lack of blood in my hands when held overhead increases the discomfort a bit.

Back