Growing arms over 18"

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 07 2006,13:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually, I think the taller guys have it harder. I am 6'2&quot; and have pretty long arms. My biceps are 17&quot; flexed thanks to HST but I don't really look all that big. Sometimes when I wear a tank top they look skinny at certain angles.</div></div>
My problem is I'm just not tall (5'9&quot;) at 198lbs. The weight &amp; arm size look good on a 5'9&quot; frame, BUT at least the tall guy IS TALL has hope to put on the weight &amp; arm size. Nothing us less tall guys can do anything about. Personally, I would like to shoot for about 215-220 with 19&quot; guns, then do a cutting cycle.

This page has some interesting figures for past Mr America winners.

Mr America Sizes

At 6'1&quot; Steve Reeves had a 17.5&quot; arm and he looked fantastic and he was natural - great genetics though.

It's a pretty good guide for height verses arm measurements.

Jules Bacon pictured here (1943 winner) was just 5'7&quot; at 175lbs and had 15.5&quot; arms which look impressive because of his low bf.

BaconJules.jpg

I just pasted my 4 year mark with HST. As luck would have it I started when the site started. My arms were around 14 inches when I started they grew an inch a year for the first three years then stalled out at 17 inches. I have talked to guys with 18 and 19 inch arms who say they went through the same thing..(a year or two stall at 17).... so I want more, but am not too too worried about it. When my arms grow there is nothing for 10 months then wham --
cool.gif
I would get an inch in one cycle. Going as heavy as possible on preacher curls, eating alot, burn sets all seemed to help. Oh yeah scull crushers with elbows pointed at the ceiling for a good stretch helps too. Accutually my arm size seems to fluxuate a bit.

Anyway I am not doing curls this cycle. But probably will next cycle. Right now my lats, traps, and delts seem to be growing... so I am happy. Different muscles seem to have growth spurts when they want to.

Bob
cool.gif

Colby

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">15 lbs?
rock.gif
I'm gonna need to beef up to 240 to get 17&quot; arms.</div>

Oh yeah? I need to beef up to 80 Kg from 69, about right and btw I'm also chasing 17&quot;, once I reach that I'll be happy and will stiop trying to get any bigger, kinda like the lotto if it comes my way...good...if not tough!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

At 5ft9 18&quot; arms would look totally massive and unless your a genetic freek there is no way to achive that without drugs. I see some of you guys are talking about reaching 220lbs natural at 5ft9, Im 5ft9 myself and have used the drugs in the past and im nowhere near 220 and dont think ill ever reach that with or without drugs! My arms are currently 15.5&quot; and maybe just maybe ill reach 17&quot; one day, but its atleast 20lbs of lean mass away! I think about 12 to maybe 15lbs is about 1&quot; on my arms.

i think 17&quot; is a good natural goal. one i have had for myself for quite sometime. 18&quot; is really only posible for the genetically gifted (which most people that claim to be are simply using aas) or those using aas. i am currently at 16&quot; post workout.

do you guys measure cold? i'd be happy enough with 17&quot; pumped!

I'm .25&quot; shy of 18&quot;, but I found that I need to do isolations in addition to the compound stuff, but I don't do the isolation exercises extremely heavy. I use as much weight as I can, but for higher reps. I seldom go below 8 reps for arm exercises, and it is often a lot closer to 12 reps even when I'm doing my 5s for everything else. Lower reps for my arms never seemed to work very well for me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Colby do you me PM me your 12x a week routine.

thanks,

Joe</div>

I have never done it yet, and I probably won't try it till a super bulk in the winter or big cut next spring, but I imagine it would look like this:

AM
SLDL
Power Clean &amp; Press
Chins
Dips
Calf Raises

PM
Squats
Rows
Bench Press
Military Press
Calf Raises

That looks like fun... my old AM/PM had me doing SLDL and Squats in the AM and PM!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks...but I was more interested in how many sets and reps you were doing per workout...per week. </div>

I actually up the volume with increased frequency; I just need to eat more too! I always follow the rule of doing as many sets as possible, especially with fewer exercises. If the weight is lower, and I have a lot of energy, then I tend to go 3-5 sets. When the weight is higher, it will be more like 1-3 sets.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm .25&quot; shy of 18&quot;, but I found that I need to do isolations in addition to the compound stuff, but I don't do the isolation exercises extremely heavy. I use as much weight as I can, but for higher reps. I seldom go below 8 reps for arm exercises, and it is often a lot closer to 12 reps even when I'm doing my 5s for everything else. Lower reps for my arms never seemed to work very well for me.</div>

That's what a lot of people on the board. specifically Dan concluded late last year about isolations. They are useful in the 15's and 10's, but the heavy weight of the 5's and negs for the compounds will be enough!

<div>
(jwbond @ May 10 2006,09:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">do you guys measure cold? </div>
I for one, only measure &quot;cold&quot;. I only really count the measurement the day after I workout to be sure there is no post workout &quot;pump&quot; left.

I don't know about the others members on the board.

Actually at the moment, thanks to the gains I'm getting in the 5', I'm currently at a solid 18 1/8&quot;, so this cycle has resulted in a 1/4&quot; gain on the arms. I had been stuck at 17 7/8 for about 8 months, but HST has fixed that. Not bad at age 45!

PS. This board is great &amp; HST rocks, I'm very happy to say!!!!

I usually measure cold. Actually its one of those spontaneous moments that I begin to measure, like right before i'm taking a shower and i'm posing in front of a mirror
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Spyke @ May 06 2006,23:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ May 06 2006,21:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, and that kind of size isn't possible naturally unless you are either on drugs, over 6'4 or gaining a lot of fat alongside the lean mass.</div>
Actually, I think the taller guys have it harder. I am 6'2&quot; and have pretty long arms. My biceps are 17&quot; flexed thanks to HST but I don't really look all that big. Sometimes when I wear a tank top they look skinny at certain angles.

Now if I was 5'9&quot; with 17&quot; biceps I would look pretty impressive. I really think I would have to get up to 19&quot; to look &quot;big&quot;</div>
lol, I'm 5'9&quot; with 17.5&quot; arms ... &amp; your 100% correct. Shorter guys look bigger at the same weight than you taller guys. We're more compact, thus the term stocky (sp).

That being said, however, taller guys usually have bigger frames or bone structure (whish ever) and are able to put on much much more weight and LBM than shorter guys. I top out at 205lbs and have really not been able to hold much past that weight @ 12%BF. 207lbs is the highest I've seen the scale -- first thing in the morning after I've done my bizness.

Thanks,
Mr. N

<div>
(Omega_man @ May 10 2006,21:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually at the moment, thanks to the gains I'm getting in the 5', I'm currently at a solid 18 1/8&quot;, so this cycle has resulted in a 1/4&quot; gain on the arms. I had been stuck at 17 7/8 for about 8 months, but HST has fixed that. Not bad at age 45!</div>
Just nothing short of Amazing
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I just measured arms today. 1 week ago were 18 1/8&quot;, today now 18 3/8&quot;. Up from 17 7/8&quot; before HST, thats a 1/2&quot; gain &amp; gained another lb or two.. NEVER thought it possible.
Still looking for 19 someday, maybe in another cycle or two.

I'm extending the 5's for as long as the ride will last.
smile.gif
smile.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 07 2006,18:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Style, it's all about your diet in respect to your training. High frequency with plenty of food = better gains</div>
I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong in this respect but I think plenty of people would take issue with a definitive statement like that.

and they might want plenty of scientific evidence to back it up!

<div>
(Conciliator @ May 06 2006,16:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One article I read stated that it takes approx 15 lbs of increased LBM to add 1&quot; to your arms. Based on personal experience, it seems like a good estimate.</div>
I stumbled across an article by Charles Poliquin that has reference to what Conciliator mentioned about 15lb's roughly equates to 1&quot; in arm size. There are some other interesting ideas in the link also.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459760

&quot;A good rule of thumb is that for every inch you want to gain on your arms, you need to gain roughly 15 pounds of equally distributed body mass.&quot;

<div>
(psychkub @ May 10 2006,13:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When you guys say drugs, what are you referring to? Steroids? I'm confused.</div>
Yuppers...the juice...the power rocks...or any other name you want to give them.

My arms are currently 15&quot; and some change...I agree with the board about needing to eat more...at times, I wish I could morph into a T-Rex. **Sigh**

Just as a reference&lt; I'm 52 and 16-1/4+ on the arms, have been 1/4&quot; bigger doing the Musclenow program. I lost a lot of it to stress and work, then one useless HST cycle without a deload followed by a 14 day deload and the cycle I'm on and they're back. I like the idea of compounds as the mainstay with higher rep specialty work on the offdays. Gonna try that. Uh, and eat more food, less fat.
rock.gif

Back