Hammer Curls vs. Reverse Curls

Autobot

I have always noticed an imbalance between my right and left bicep, though when I do reverse curls my training partner and the mirror tell me that I am doing the lift correctly and there isn't an imbalance in the lift.
should i switch to hammer curls? would this be better in eliminating the imbalance? I am on my last two sets of negs now before I decondition, I am planning on making any necessary changes when I start on my next cycle.
Any thoughts? thanks in advance
worship.gif

Most everybody has this imbalance. There isn't a lot you can do to overcome it. If anything, simply do 1 extra set for the smaller arm.

i have imbalance on my arms too. the right bicep is bigger than the left.
for the next cycle, will working out the left bicep ONLY (
crazy.gif
) be a solution to the imbalance? will that work?
blush.gif

Maybe try curls with an EZ bar or something and let the weaker arm take most of the load. As the arm strengthens up you can start to balance out the lift.

Just a suggestion.

Autobot

Many of us have the same type of problem, d/b's are quite good at correcting this, take a slightly higher load for the weaker arm, but this must be very slight, "biscuits" are the best to do this with.
tounge.gif

There is no promise ever that you will ever get perfect symmetry but there is no harm in trying, right?
wow.gif

Have you ever done Zotman curls? They do both of the movements in one, normal curl on the way up and reverse or hammer on the way down, whichever way you want to take it, if done nice and slow and correctly they can be terrific arm builders, just a thought!

Fausto

Same problem here. My left upper arm is almost one inch smaller than my right. During my first HST cycle I used more weight on the left when doing incline bicep curls, as well as using some extra stretching for the left arm... but both arms grew the same amount.

My second cycle, which I had to cut short due to life, I did incline bicep curls on my left arm only and didn't work my right arm at all, aside from the other exercises which hit the arms as well such as deadlifts, military press, rows, etc. Again, both arms grew the same amount. Hah.

Right now, I'm doing a minicycle - three weeks of 5s. I'm hitting my left arm every day with incline curls, and doing my entire routine every other day, so hopefully the extra frequency will help. It's kind of embarrassing though when my right arm looks really good flexed, enough to impress people, but when I flex my left, it looks like my right arm did a year ago.

I always use weaker body part first, which for some reason has always been on my left side.

I never do more reps or weight on strong side than I do on weaker side.  This has pretty well equaled size on all body parts. It's also easy to maintain over time if you keep that in mind.

So...my weight load limit is always to my weaker body part strength. I've never tried adding more weight on one body part over the other.

I use DB over barbells anytime I have a choice.

In answer to thread starter queston.

I do hammer - curls, pullups, tricep extensions always first choice.

Back