Help: Progressive Load, how to increase little weight?

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by bjorn, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bjorn

bjorn New Member

Hello,

I'm a newbie now training for 7-8 months and came across the HST method what made quite an impression to me. I understand the principles and want to start with the basic 3x/week full body.

I found out my maxes at 15-10-5 reps, but now i have a problem with the progressive load.. I want to start at 75% of my max 1st training, adding 5% every training. I got 2 exercises where i don't have enough weight to do this becouse of the weight steps in my gym.

For example the biceps curl: for 15 reps i use 10kg of weight, i can change this with at least 2.5kg. There is no possible way to increase this every training for 2 weeks.
    Now i was thinking about what should be the best? I thought about starting at 5kg the first 2 days, increase with 2.5 for the next 2 days en than to 10. Therefor i will start at 50% of my max and i'm not sure if this will have any effect.. Or should i just start at 7.5kg for 3 days and the last 3 10kg?

I would like to hear your vission on this and maybe you all have some other ideas how i can make this work..

2. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Just repeat the loads you are using. 7.5, 7.5, 7.5, 10, 10, 10

Or since I'm assuming you are doing a dumbbell curl, pick an exercise for biceps where you an use more weight i.e. barbell curls instead of dumbbells. This makes progression easier.

3. bjorn

bjorn New Member

I am talking about the barbell curls, shall start at 7.50 than. Tnx for your reply.

4. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Are you counting the bar weight as well?