Hey, What About Unplanned Increments?

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by NWlifter, May 24, 2018.

1. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

good post, good quote form the FAQ too!

_Simon_ likes this.
  2. Blade

Blade Super Moderator Staff Member

This is exactly what I am doing in my current training cycle. I split it up into an A/B routine, tested my 15RMs then just subtracted 10% off of that for starting loads. So each A and B workout incremented 5% and I got in 3 workouts of each. Then I backed off 5% to get some zig-zag and switched into 10s. I will do the same when I reach my 10RM, but I have also planned to start stretching out the cycle a little more by doing 2 workouts of each at a certain increment before going up etc. I will see as I go :)

Bryan Haycock and _Simon_ like this.
  3. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

Cool, your routine interests me, especially with the AB setup

4. Blade

Blade Super Moderator Staff Member

A:
    BB OHP
    Shoulder-Pull (see a video of the difference from Face-Pulls here: )
    Loaded and banded pushups
    Narrow grip Pulldown (chins when I get closer to 10RM)
    Bulgarian Split Squat
    Leg Curl

B:
    Bench
    Face-Pulls
    Medium overhand pulldowns (pullups when I get closer to 10RM)
    Unilateral RDL (will switch over to bilateral for the 5s)
    Leg Extensions
    Occasionally throw in 1-2 sets of lateral raises - but I like to keep my workouts minimalistic and short :)

5. NWlifter

NWlifter Active Member

cool, thanks for posting that

6. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Ah nice, I've haven't done too many A/B routines, they look like fun, and I guess as each alternating exercise is still progressing in load it wouldn't be too much variation (it is only two exercises being alternated between I guess).

Yeah I do like the more intuitive approach of not planning every load, and yeah if I find I'm coming too close to an RM too quickly, I'll also repeat a load the next workout to stretch it out a bit. I remember reading one of your articles Borge saying that it isn't absolutely crucial for load to progress each and every single workout without stopping hehe