Hi new to HST

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by NAIAD, Feb 25, 2013.

1. NAIAD

NAIAD New Member

Hi everyone. Just a bit of quick background, I started lifting two years ago, but for the first year and a bit I was just figuring things out and didn’t really make good gains. In the last year/six months I’ve learnt a lot about lifting and nutrition, so I’m not a complete novice. For the last 6 weeks I’ve been doing a 5x5 type program, but I’m getting small injuries, for instance I got a knee injury while warming up for squats, I just don’t think my body can tolerate the heavy loads week after week. I heard about HST for a while now, and now I’ve decided I should give it a go.

Tell me if you think the following program looks ok:
    Squat
    SL deadlift
    Flat bench
    Flyes
    Chin ups
    Bent over barbell rows
    Barbell shrugs
    Military press
    Lateral raises
    Bicep curls
    Tricep pushdowns
    Cable crunches

I haven’t added any direct rear delt exercises because I feel that chins and rows hit rear delts properly, but correct me if I’m wrong. I would do skullcrushers but they aggravate a shoulder issue I’ve been having.

2. CDB

CDB New Member

Ah! Time for me to post my recommended workout again!

I recommend this:

Day 1

Squat
    Bench
    Row

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Clean and Press
    Pull Ups

3. NAIAD

NAIAD New Member

Thanks for replying. I've got a few questions though. I've heard it said that you shouldn't deadlift more than 1x a week, is that BS? Would chin ups be appropriate sub for pull ups? How come the sample program recommends arm work and shoulder work?

4. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

The sample program recommends arm and shoulder work because most guys will cry if they can't get a bump in their biceps during a workout.

Deadlifts can be done more than once a week.

Chinups and Pullups are essentially interchangeable, there are minor differences but both primarily hit the lats so it won't matter a whole lot.

5. gbglifter

gbglifter Member

Do chins so you hit the biceps more and skip any bicep iso work. Saves time and energy and, in my opinon, just as good for bicep growth. I seem to go on about this constantly but the simplify and win method is fantastic. Less exercises and more effort in each of them instead. Too many exercises dillutes the result, I feel.

6. manimal

manimal New Member

Take a look through my HST routine in the log section. My personal opinion: the program that you put together will have too much volume once you get into your 5th and 6th week. You'll have to do each of those exercises 3 sets each with a total of 36 sets in a training session x 3 times a week. With only a day rest between training days, that type of volume will cause you to over train and get more injuries. Keep the exercises down to 8 exercises.

If you're having trouble is skullcrushers due to your shoulders, try them on a decline bench.