High Systolic Pressue Low Diastolic Low Heart Rate

Maximuscrates

Hi,

I have been running a lot since june and twice I have had my blood pressure taken since. Once when I gave blood 4 weeks ago. And another time today when I saw the tester machine at walmart.

Now in both instances my systolic was high. I was around 131/70 in both cases with a heart rate of 51-54.

Normal systolic is 120.
Normal diastolic is 80, i beat this number good.

Does anyone have experience regarding this?

Thanks

I've heard a bunch of stuff, but haven't ever researched it. Someone who supposedly talked to their doctor about it told me that it can mean your heart is slightly enlarged, but his doctor said it's not a big deal, so who knows. Talk to your doctor if you are worried.

But anyway, your blood pressure can vary greatly throughout the day, so before you start worrying too much, you might want to get it checked consistently at the same time of day under the same circumstances. Also, Wal-Mart's tester isn't the best. They are designed for the average adult arm, if you have been lifting for a while, your arm is probably bigger so the readings may not be accurate.

I am going through the emt/paramedic program right now and all my text books tell me that 120/80 is the norm. You are only 11 above the normal bp. Don't let this worry you. I am pretty sure that plus or minus ten isn't anything to cause concern.

Maximuscrates, I've been a paramedic for 16 years and have finished nursing school now. Your blood pressure is fine. I've seen people who's numbers are frighteningly low according to the textbooks, and others who I'd have sworn were going to have a heart attack any day but those were just their normal numbers. They are just a guide, and general health and conditioning should also be looked at.

When I'm doing lots of cardio, my resting heart rate will stay around 50 and my blood pressure will be 100/60. When I'm not doing it, my resting heart rate is closer to 80 and my blood pressure stays up around 120/70.

I donated blood today before I get back to my fourth hst cycle on wednesday.

HR: 53
Systolic: 148
Diastolic: 80

A bit higher than last time. I doing a lot of cardio still with only a break at christmas holidays.

Seems to be going up and I barely eat any salt. Most people would have a lower bp on my diet.

Im not worried though, I just think its weird.

131/70 is not bad by any means... My dystolic is usually between 66 and 78 and my systolic ranges from 115 to 135. There are a lot of factors that come in when your blood pressure is measured:

-accuracy of nurse's measurements
-temporary stress
-sickness

The last two go hand in hand, so keep that in mind the next time you goto the doc's.

<div>
(vagrant @ Oct. 26 2006,19:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maximuscrates, I've been a paramedic for 16 years and have finished nursing school now. Your blood pressure is fine. I've seen people who's numbers are frighteningly low according to the textbooks, and others who I'd have sworn were going to have a heart attack any day but those were just their normal numbers. They are just a guide, and general health and conditioning should also be looked at.

When I'm doing lots of cardio, my resting heart rate will stay around 50 and my blood pressure will be 100/60. When I'm not doing it, my resting heart rate is closer to 80 and my blood pressure stays up around 120/70.</div>
Just to take the thread off-topic, I'd be interested to know how people find HST effects their resting pulse rate. Mine used to be in the 60s, but went up when I cut back on the cardio I was doing (into the mid 70s). A few weeks into a HST programme - I was doing more volume/less frequent weights before - and my resting pulse is down to low 60s (or even high 50s). Could just be coincidence, of course
biggrin.gif

I haven't noticed any significant change in my pulse. However, I haven't had frequent measurements before or during HST.
rock.gif

Back