HIIT training with HST?

Just as Jules alluded too, many people forget that some post workout carbs and protein is okay after a really strenuous HIIT session, especially if you are worried about muscle wasting at all. At the least, it will calm your worries, at best it will help keep muscles full and slow down or reverse any catabolism that may occur from the HIIT (which I don't see happening unless you are starving yourself).

HIIT could be very catabolic on an empty stomach. Without any readily available glycogen, the adrenal glands will have to work much harder and release even more cortisol. Makes just as much sense as lifting heavy on an empty stomach.

cheers,
Jules

Normally before training with the goal being fat loss or weight gain I take in 15-20g of of protein and 30g or so of carbs. When doing HIIT on non-training days would the same pre-workout snack be fine, or do I need to change it a tad to maximize the benefits of HIIT?

the things i read until now say hiit has a less catabolic effect then the normal form of cardio...so to sum up

hiit is best done in the morning before breakfast because hiit will increase fat metabolism for the day

moderate cardio is betther done in the evening because it is not that exhausting...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]does anything help prevent muscle breakdown? Protein, carbs, both?

well a calorie surpluss is always anabolic...after workout the carb intake helps to prevent gluconeogenesis and frequent protein intake is protein sparing in generall

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nemesis7884 @ Jan. 08 2005,1:06)]the things i read until now say hiit has a less catabolic effect then the normal form of cardio...so to sum up
hiit is best done in the morning before breakfast because hiit will increase fat metabolism for the day
moderate cardio is betther done in the evening because it is not that exhausting...
I would say quite the opposite :

HIIT is best done with a preworkout and postworkout meal. HIIT should be consider as a weight trianing session. Intensive HIIT session increase level of cortisol, which cause muscle lost.

However, low intensity cardio can be done in the morning before breakfast, or after a weight training session. Keep the total time of exercise pretty low (about 20-30 min max) and dont increase intensity past your 70% of your max and muscle lost will not be a problem, and you'll burn fat.

I agree with Chunky's advice. It's really important that you at least have some protein before you go into a HIIT session. HIIT will have a lower catabolic effect if the pre-WO nutritional meal is taken care of.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ Jan. 06 2005,2:54)]Eek. I meant HIIT burnt more subcutaneous fat. ;)
cheers,
Jules
Could you elaborate a bit on that? Is subcutaneous fat the same as reserve fat? Is it the fat right under the skin or what?

thanks. :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is subcutaneous fat the same as reserve fat? Is it the fat right under the skin or what?

Subcatenous fat is the fat under your skin -- that's the spare tire fat. Visceral fat is the padding around your organs. Normal dieting is indiscriminate about which fat to burn. HIIT burns mostly subcateneous fat; that's what you want.

cheers,
Jules

Vicious, have there been any studies on the difference in subcutaneous fat reduction comparing intense cardio (like HIIT) vs. moderate cardio with keeping muscle mass in mind.

I've looked over some articles regarding this on different sites. Some are decent, and some aren't so informative. Most of the stuff is just trial and error, "it worked for me" type stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chunky34 @ Jan. 09 2005,7:20)]HIIT is best done with a preworkout and postworkout meal. HIIT should be consider as a weight trianing session. Intensive HIIT session increase level of cortisol, which cause muscle lost.
Living proof here.

I was taking a spinning class 2x/week during my fat loss and really not eating very much at all. The fat flew off, but I hit a point (around 11-12%) where I started losing muscle - my weight went down but bf % creeped up!
butbut.gif

BTW - I'm still going to continue to spin during my little hyper-caloric HST experiment here. I'll be sure to share my experiences.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Vicious, have there been any studies on the difference in subcutaneous fat reduction comparing intense cardio (like HIIT) vs. moderate cardio with keeping muscle mass in mind.

It should favor HIIT, but the difference is probably negligible. The problem is compounded in that many of us already supplement our cardio with weightlifting. Thus you already get some kind of a muscle-sparing effect. Thus you already create some kind of the metabolic boost. I think Lyle suggested that HIIT's benefits may come from it spiking the adrenal glands; problem is, so does a heavy set of squats. What additional value does HIIT have over the moderate cardio, then, after a weightlifting session?

That being said, HIIT wins by default for me. If moderate cardio and HIIT essentially burn the same calories per day, we know that moderate cardio eats up more glycogen (and more muscle), provides little extra protein synthesis by way of erk1//2 activation, only offers so much in the way of endurance adaptation, etc.

Aaron or Pauly probably has a definitive answer for this, though.

cheers,
Jules

i've been doing HIIT just to get rid of the unwanted fats. i've been doing it only for 5 minutes because after that, i'm really exhausted. i take in pre and post meals when on HIIT. 46g of protein before and about 100g of carbs and 20g of protein after. that's okay right? i won't lose muscle? :D

Do I get this right;

HIIT is best when bulking, not while dieting? (It isn't a part of UD2.0)

One should not do HIIT around the time at the day when you're training weights?

If one do moderat cardio straight after lifting weights, one would get the same effect as only doing HIIT?

OK, I feel that perhaps this question is too basic to even include in this thread, but I'm guessing some other newbies such as myself may be wondering this same thing.

If I am reading this thread correctly, you guys are already doing cardio post workout on 'lifting' days and are talking about the idea of doing HIIT on the mornings of 'lifting' days. Is this correct?

Well, again, I'm a newbie, but I've thought that HST suggested that you do the moderate cardio (or HIIT as we are discussing here) on NON-Training days?

So, that being said, do you guys do cardio 6 days a week? Or do you do cardio/lifting on the same days and totally take the others off? Just trying to get an idea of how you all are fitting your cardio in.

Thx,
-j

Jeffro-

I think it will depend on your goals as to how you work cardio in, but let me share with you my moitivation for doing some form of cardio 6 days/week. I do HIIT (stationary cycling: 20 minutes, 5min warmup and cooldown, and 10 bouts of 30sec sprint/30sec baseline) after lifting during 15s and 10s- I don't have much left after 5s, so I don't do any cardio on those lifting days. Besides, given that I do drops during the 5s, one could argue that I'm doing HIIT then anyway. I do moderate cardio (NordicTrack skiing: 50 minutes) on my off days. I take one day of rest per week.

The motivation? HIIT keeps the subcu fat at bay and enhances my V02- good for situations like when the elevators at work break and I have to jog up 7 flgiths of steps :D . The moderate cardio hits more of the visceral fat (often a problem in us old geezers, especially the guys), but also provides a sustained cardio workout to keep my endurance level fairly high (good for when I take 15-20 mile hikes with my wife and kids). It also provides documented benefit in keeping your lipid profile in good shape (there's not enough evidence yet to show that HIIT has a beneficial effect on HDL, which is why I don't rely on it as my sole means of cardio).

I've been using this schedule for a couple of years, and I've been very happy with my growth (which is still happening, BTW- even after almost 3 years on HST). Does this much cardio cut into my potential gains? Perhaps, but at 55, I have to trade off on gains vs. cardiovascular fitness (including V02 as well as lipid management).

Anyway, that's just my story- I know others in here have their own!

Jake

Hey Jake,

Thanks for the time & info! It was very interesting to read about what you are diong and even more importantly, the reasoning behind it.

I had never really read about HIIT before I read this thread, sounds very interesting, I've been reading about it for almost 3 hours now :)

Also, awesome to hear that you are still gaining, I established my maxes in early January and yeterday was my last day of SD before my first cycle. I hope it goes well..

Anyhow, thanks!
-jeff

will doing HIIT on off days require you to eat as much as when you're doing HST? help!! i am so confused. my brain is aching!!
crazy.gif

Back