Hiking/Walking

GreatScott

So once a week I go hiking/walking up mostly hilly terrain for around 3-4 hours. I've looked around Google and it's estimated I burn anywhere between 500-1200 calories whilst doing this and obviously if I don't support this with extra food it'll affect my gains.

Just wanted some advice on how to figure out how much extra I should eat on that day? I don't think I'm burning 1000 calories and I don't want to go eating an extra 1000 only to get fat.

Also I was looking at using fruit + yoghurt for the extra calories, thoughts? Or maybe oats, milk and whey.

The type of food you choose to get the calories doesn't matter; it can be a buffet of Twinkie Rolls and it still comes back to #'s.

For my $$, it's just going to take a little bit of trial & error to figure out how many extra kcals you need to offset your hobby. No biggie, just keep adding until it's too much, then taper back v.slightly until you get the right number (or as close as you can figure it to be 'right').

Agree with Alex.

Obviously it depends how easy it is for you to consume the extra calories as to what type of food you eat, but as long as you hit your volume and macros then there's no issues.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try 800-1000 extra calories and monitor weight gain from there. Anything more than a consistent 1lb a week I think I'll taper it back by ~100-200.

Keep track of your waist circumference.

If you're trying to put on muscle, that involves weight gain. If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't gaining muscle. When your waist starts to get bigger, you're gaining too much fat and might be time to taper back the calories mildly.

Realistically, you're going to have to play around with this for a while.

Back