Home Gym Log

Probably. You could later add some upright posts to add support to the squat rests at your preferred height. What's the bench height?

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 29 2008,6:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Probably. You could later add some upright posts to add support to the squat rests at your preferred height. What's the bench height?</div>
The butt end of the bench is about 18 inches off of the ground. I saw this unit in the store, and I thought the rack was taller than four feet. I will not have to worry about weight limits for Squats and Deads as I honestly do not see myself ever lifting more than 600 on those lifts. I enjoy starting from the rack on deads, so that's why I include that lift when analyzing a rack.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Apr. 28 2008,10:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What do you guys think?
biggrin.gif
</div>
It oughta be an improvement over the chairs and floor you are currently using...

One thing I do not like about this combo bench/squat rack is a major safety issue for squats. What happens if I hit failure on a back squat?

<div>
(quadancer @ May 01 2008,5:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Abort.
wow.gif
</div>
Obviously, throw the bar behind me. Thanks to my unadventerous self following HST principals, I rarely ever hit failure. I hit it most common with the big three exercises though (Bench, Squat, Deads). Bench, I usually have a spotter, and deads I can drop the bar on the floor. Squats are a different story, but at this value, it is something I cannot pass up.

After watching some of the UTube videos on failed squats, I notice that not many really seem to get badly hurt overall. I think the one thing to avoid is the one where you go down, folding up with the bar on your neck. THAT looks BAD!!!
You could have a rack built to slide up to the squat rack, with horizontal safety bars, could be made of wood 4x4's or metal.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 01 2008,7:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">After watching some of the UTube videos on failed squats, I notice that not many really seem to get badly hurt overall. I think the one thing to avoid is the one where you go down, folding up with the bar on your neck. THAT looks BAD!!!
You could have a rack built to slide up to the squat rack, with horizontal safety bars, could be made of wood 4x4's or metal.</div>
I thought about that; using the equivalent of two horses (construction horses used for caution)...

I would NOT use construction sawhorses; they're only built for light loads, and not impact. Give me some time and I'll design you something, maybe tonite.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 02 2008,7:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would NOT use construction sawhorses; they're only built for light loads, and not impact. Give me some time and I'll design you something, maybe tonite.</div>
No, no... not actual construction horses, but something similar to them on the sides - preferably all one unit for better support.

I read some reviews of &quot;Fitness Gear&quot;, and I didn't like what I had to read. I would like to save money, but it isn't worth my safety.

Grr, I will have to continue my search....

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 20 2008,12:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here is the latest rack that I have fallen in love with:</div>
The base looks solid enough. I think I'd prefer something that's attached at the top, too. It would be much more stable and could perhaps be used for chinups and such (my $0.02).

<div>
(TunnelRat @ May 21 2008,10:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ May 20 2008,12:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Here is the latest rack that I have fallen in love with:</div>
The base looks solid enough. I think I'd prefer something that's attached at the top, too. It would be much more stable and could perhaps be used for chinups and such (my $0.02).</div>
Well, in one regard it would make the four uprights more stable by connecting them, but by adding one to two extra feet of height plus the crossbars would be a good amount of extra weight at the top making it even less stable. Plus, no matter where I move to, this should fit in the basement.

Any ideas for a good flat or adjustable bench? I'm looking for a weight capacity of at least 600 lbs.

here is the best adjustable bench you can buy for the money

Ironmaster Super Bench

it holds 1000 lbs flat and 600 lbs at an incline.. can also get attachments for stuff like dips.. i'll need to get that one soon..

I have this along with the adjustable dumbbells and they are the best products for the home.. their rack looks great too, but way too much than i can spend now

I got my adjustable bench and squat stand from that same company colby. TDS (New York Barbell). I think I paid $150 (for the bench), but now they've got it at 199... that company also has a &quot;sumo rack&quot; for $50 less that looks like it'd do pretty much the same thing as the rack you pictured.

it's cheap stuff, let's be honest. expectations should be adjusted accordingly. but it works for my purposes, I don't feel unsafe.

Hell yeah man. You could actually do standing presses in that thing if you wanted to and had the ceiling room for it. It could definitely be placed anywhere too. Only thing you need now, if you dont already have it, is something to do pullups on.

That is a far better bench than I got. I wish I would have spent a bit more money and got that.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jul. 02 2008,1:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hell yeah man. You could actually do standing presses in that thing if you wanted to and had the ceiling room for it. It could definitely be placed anywhere too. Only thing you need now, if you dont already have it, is something to do pullups on.

That is a far better bench than I got. I wish I would have spent a bit more money and got that.</div>
That is the eventual plan. Sure, I cannot do pull ups, but I never really did them on the cages at gyms before. I really have no use for the top of a cage, so the open rack is optimal for me. Plus, I don't have to measure the height of the ceiling in a basement when I move (which is happening soon).

Back