How Many Calories Does It Really Have?

colby2152

Fiber One - This cereal claims it has 60 calories per half cup serving, yet when you calculate the calories on your own, you will end up with nearly twice that advertised amount!

What gives?

I'm guessing they are subtracting out the fiber from the carbohydrate total before determining the calories per serving?

Besides, when it comes to cold cereal, I almost never get away with only a half cup serving...
sad.gif

Yeah, maybe half a box serving, if you manage to practice some restraint. I have that problem all the time when I get into the kids apple jacks, coco puffs or peanut butter crunch. The next day they are all crying "Dad, someone ate all the cereal!" and so I have to make them eggs.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Dec. 12 2007,10:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm guessing they are subtracting out the fiber from the carbohydrate total before determining the calories per serving?</div>
I found this tidbit at a variety of places on the web:

The labeling rule is: If a food has 5 grams of fiber or more, the grams of fiber can be subtracted from the
“Total Carbohydrate” value on food labels.
Kimberly A. Tessmer,RD LD

<div>
(colby2152 @ Dec. 12 2007,11:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Dec. 12 2007,10:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm guessing they are subtracting out the fiber from the carbohydrate total before determining the calories per serving?</div>
I found this tidbit at a variety of places on the web:

The labeling rule is: If a food has 5 grams of fiber or more, the grams of fiber can be subtracted from the
Kimberly A. Tessmer,RD LD</div>
That makes sense.  No point in counting fiber that offers no nutritional value.

Fibre is, however supposed to offer a sort of 'negative' caloric value, but you couldn't count it or count on it. We just know that we need it for various functions from colon cleansing to fatloss assistance.
The coolest thing about FiberOne is that it is WAAAAY cheaper than MetaMucil or any of those fiber supplements. Now, I did get a box some time back and intended to use it in everything I could to up my fiber intake, but there's so much I eat that you just don't put cereal into...and more that will just make it soggy...and more that it just ruins the texture or flavor of the food.
Like CC, we need a thread on how to USE this stuff!  
biggrin.gif

I should add that my first time trying it I ate me a big 'ol healthy bowl of that stuff, determined to get my 60g/day fiber in right away...
and spent the next 2 days on the toilet getting rid of it.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Dec. 12 2007,11:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The labeling rule is: If a food has 5 grams of fiber or more, the grams of fiber can be subtracted from the
Kimberly A. Tessmer,RD LD</div>
So me being me (anal and all)..........
if it has 1 gram of fiber, or 2 or 3 or 4, you shouldn't subtract the fiber from the carb content
rock.gif
Hmmmmm I mean 4 grams of carbs is gonna really blow my ketogenic diet out the window
biggrin.gif
. And what about the inverse, perhaps it had 8 grams, is that really going to change anything? Ok, what if it's soluble versus insoluble?

So I wouldn't count this as a &quot;rule&quot;, perhaps a guide, maybe
rock.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Dec. 12 2007,17:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So me being me (anal and all)..........
if it has 1 gram of fiber, or 2 or 3 or 4, you shouldn't subtract the fiber from the carb content
rock.gif
Hmmmmm I mean 4 grams of carbs is gonna really blow my ketogenic diet out the window
biggrin.gif
. And what about the inverse, perhaps it had 8 grams, is that really going to change anything? Ok, what if it's soluble versus insoluble?

So I wouldn't count this as a &quot;rule&quot;, perhaps a guide, maybe
rock.gif
.</div>
I completely agree... that was a quote. I'm sure she meant to say &quot;rule of thumb&quot;. Anyways, it seems as if the calories from fiber do not need to be counted?

This really doesn't change my counting procedures. If anything, it just helps me. I will continue to count the calories from fiber. This prepares me for a more negative outcome (less weight lost), so I will then tend to not eat that midnight snack!

Contrary to popular belief humans do derive some calories from fiber. Although unless you are eating a ton of fiber the effects on total energy intake are negligible.

Excerpts from The Carbohydrate Files (Hale 2007)

&quot;Dietary fiber was originally described by Trowell in 1972 as “that portion of food which is derived from cellular walls of plants which is digested very poorly by human beings.” Today, the term “dietary fiber” is commonly defined as plant material that resists digestion by the secreted enzymes of the human alimentary tract but which may be fermented by microflora in the colon.&quot;

&quot;While the energy derived from carbohydrates delivered to the colon will vary according to the extent of colonic fermentation, there may be cause for assigning a single energy value to all such carbohydrates. Published studies suggest that a caloric value of about 2 kcal/g (8 kJ/g) would be a reasonable average figure for carbohydrates which reach the colon. While individual carbohydrates will have different values, in the range of 1–2 kcal/g, these differences are negligible.&quot;

thanks
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com

<div>
(colby2152 @ Dec. 13 2007,08:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyways, it seems as if the calories from fiber do not need to be counted?

... so I will then tend to not eat that midnight snack!</div>
Rules of Thumb:

Fiber doesn't count.

Milk and cookies don't count!

If no one sees you eat it, it doesn't count...

Back