how much protein for m/f

• Thread starter imported_eric.malitz
  • Start date
I

imported_eric.malitz

How much protein for a male thats about to start HST ?

And how many calories overall?
(I weight about 175, pretty lean)

How much of these for a female trying to maintain her weight? (she works out every day, but not nec. vigorously)

Protein should be at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. So you need 175 grams of protein a day. That's already 700 calories. I'd recommend starting at 3000 calories for bulking, and if that doesn't cause weight gain, to bump up the calories further.

Females - protein recommendations are the same. Obviously maintenance will be a bit lower than it would be for a male her size. Anyway, it is impossible to make an estimate for her maintenance without knowing how much she weighs. But for women, it is usually a safe bet to take 13 times their bodyweight in calories and start there. Or you can use one of those formulas for finding maintenance to get a more accurate starting point.
In the end, you will have to watch her weight and adjust calories to find true maintenance, as any formula will be only an estimate. Also, obviously is activity level changes, so will maintenance.

Back