how much sugar is ok?

iceman0625

I went grocery shopping tonight and just about everything I picked (no sat. fat, low carbs on certain things) BUT the sugar was 12-20 grams. Most in cerals.

I try and stay away from all that crap with refined sugar. Coke, for example, has about 44 grams of sugar. each teaspoon is 4 grams. Therefore, coke has 11 teaspoons full of sufgar in each 12 ounce can. Would you knowing sit down and shovel 11 teaspoon of sugar into your mouth? Fruit juices, which we have been told to drink for centuries, has even more sugar.

There are lots of great cereals with very little carbs, like the kashi line but keep in mind when checking nutrifacts anything with a carb/sugars ration of 2:1 is junk food; try and get a 4:1 or best 6:1 ratio.

Or you can just try good old oats. Then for flavoring, just add five to six heaping tablespoons of sugar :D

Just kidding!

If you can't find cereal without all that sugar (hint: stay away from them like the plague), just stick to good old oats (minus the tablespoons of sugars, that was just a joke, ok?).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Therefore, coke has 11 teaspoons full of sugar in each 12 ounce can. Would you knowing sit down and shovel 11 teaspoon of sugar into your mouth?

Wow, seems like O&G don't like Coke no more :D

I don't like softdrinks anyway. I just drink plain water.

I don't really know about shredded wheat cereal that boxmonster is saying, haven't tried that out, but now most anything that has "wheat" in the name has me conditioned to believe it's good (like whole wheat bread), so I suppose that shredded wheat is also great. Or better than oats. I also don't eat oats and any kind of cereal.
laugh.gif
I just get up in the morning, open a can of tuna, and chug it all down together with four slices of bread or a cup of rice (sometimes rice is all that's available, so what the heck, it's better than starving)
tounge.gif

-JV

Also, here's what I got from http://www.mendosa.com/overload.htm

The government's Food Guide Pyramid is the closest thing to a recommendation that we have. It says that people eating 1,600 calories per day should "try to limit" their added sugars to an average of 6 teaspoons per day. Those of us who eat 2,200 calories per day should limit added sugars to 12 teaspoons, and those eating 2,800 calories should stay at or below 18 teaspoons.

That seems to indicate that (since we eat so much calories) it would be ok to consume as much as 18 teaspoons of sugar. That really isn't a lot though. Like O&G said, in a can of Coke, you already get about 11 teaspoons, so so much for having a lot of space for sugar.

Hope this helps. :)
-JV

Actually I have been a Coke-a-holic my whole life. Until 5 years ago I consumed at least 6 cans per day. When I found out how much sugar I was consuming I switched to Diet Coke. It isn't as good as water since I think the caffeine negates to water content somewhat but at least I don't 66 teaspoons of sugar everyday. The next step will be caffeine-free-diet-coke.
sad.gif

No, I don't drink coffee. I love the smell of it but, on the other hand, I love the smell of gasoline but I don't drink that either. p :mad:

I have a diet coke with my peanut butter on pumpernickel sandwich for breakfast, every morning, every day, forever.
thumbs-up.gif

there's not so much inherently wrong with it, as long as calories are controlled for. The problem is how easy it is to overconsume.

but what if your bulking isn't and excess of calories good?

where do I get the extra calories from if not from juice or sugar?

Rakki,protein and good fats first and then complex carbs second.

BoSox, assuming, of course, that you have no insulation sensitivity to deal with. Sugar and uncontrolled diabetes can lead to loss of limb and life.

i like a bowl of porridge with a handfull of currants,raisins,sultanas..sprinkled over the top.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 27 2005,8:15)]The next step will be caffeine-free-diet-coke.    
sad.gif
Easy now one step at a time there big fella, just take it one step at a time....
laugh.gif

Hey JV thanks for that thread to the Mendosa site. My 3yr old nephew has been having some serious problems controlling his anger (biting and scratching and whatnot). I was trying to convince my mother and sister to exclude the sugar in his diet to see if it would help and I sent them that thread. Thanks again.
P

Hey Papillon :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey JV thanks for that thread to the Mendosa site. My 3yr old nephew has been having some serious problems controlling his anger (biting and scratching and whatnot). I was trying to convince my mother and sister to exclude the sugar in his diet to see if it would help and I sent them that thread. Thanks again.

Hehe, no prob :D Glad to have helped in whatever way.
-JV

Back