How much tuna is safe to eat? has anyone ever had problems eating too much tuna?

Stemad

I eat about 100 g (3,5 oz) of yellowfin tuna at least five time a week, maybe even six. I've read that im risking mercury poisoning... Do you think i'm eating too much tuna, and is the risk really here?

Only way to know for sure would be to get checked for mercury poisoning.

I've never had any issues with eating a lot of tuna. Ever. That said, I do not allow my women to eat tuna while pregnant or breastfeeding, just to be safe. Gambling with my health is one thing, hers and the baby's is another.

That said, I do not allow my women to eat tuna while pregnant or breastfeeding, just to be safe.

Haha! Spoken like a true beast!

I tend to have one or two cans a week. Apparently, albacore has about 3 x the mercury level compared to skipjack, so try to avoid albacore if you want to eat more tuna. I haven't checked yellow fin or blue fin seeing that we don't see much of that in our supermarkets (are they on the endangered list?).

Last edited:
That's wise!

I have too eaten a lot of tuna without apparent ill effects, but it seems they are subtle and not easiliy recognized, at least at first. Even checking for poisoning is going to be difficult because of the short half life in blood.

I think i will limit my tuna intake to 3 times a week, it will probably be safer in the long term. Just checked on a website that supposedly calculate the amount of mercury you eat weekly based on the type of fish you ingest, and it came out i eat 464% the maximum allowed dosage by the fda. So better safe than sorry i suppose

Only way to know for sure would be to get checked for mercury poisoning.

I've never had any issues with eating a lot of tuna. Ever. That said, I do not allow my women to eat tuna while pregnant or breastfeeding, just to be safe. Gambling with my health is one thing, hers and the baby's is another.

I love this response.

Back