Hst help for rookie

mike83

Hi everyone, this is my first post in here, im very excited to start the HST program. But, im very confused, Im reading alot about it and researching but im not familar with alot of technical info.

So before I start, I have to find my 15 rep maxes for each exercise? The first week I do 15 reps x 1or2?

Or monday(1or2x15) wed (1or2x10?) friday(1or2x5?)

is that correct?

can someone please guide me thru this :confused: :D
worship.gif

You are on the right track Mike. Monday, find your rep maximum weight for 15 reps, do 10's on Wed and 5's on Fri. You do not need to find your max rep for a second set; just the first set. Then, if, during your cycle, you decide to do more than 1 set, you stop lifting when your form or tempo are compromised even if it is before the targeted number of reps. After finding your 15, 10 and 5 rep maxes, and this is very important Mike, take at least a full 9 days off before beginning your actual cycle. That will help you overcome the Repeated Bout Effect that built up during the week you found your maxes and allow for maximum growth during your HST cycle. It sounds almost counterproductive but it is crucial to HST and, for that matter, any weightlifting program if you want to see continued results. Most lifters do not do this and get discouraged after they stagnate. They think they have reached their so-called genetic limit and either quit or resort to steroids. With this process, which Bryan calls Strategic Deconditioning, continued gains are possible. Have fun and good luck!

thumbs-up.gif

ok cool, thanks alot guru! : )

So after the 9-14 days, Then what?

Monday- 15rm x1 for everything?

Wed.-10 rm x 1

friday- 5 rm?

Or do I do ligher weight?

Sorry Mike but I am off to catch a plane. Perhaps someone else can pick up the ball and help you out. You seem to have misinterpreted the mechanisms of HST. Basically you work up to your 15 rm over 6 or so workouts over a 2 week period and then move on and do the same thing with the 10's and then the 5's. Then SD again. Sorry I don't have time to be more specific. Reread the HST home site and the FAQ'a here and you should get a better idea of how to implement HST.

Good luck. :)

Hi,
I've done some research for a while now, and I've come to see that HST makes perfect sense. I am new, so forgive me for repeating the same questions that have been asked many times before
tounge.gif

Please correct me If I say something that is wrong. I am trying to keep the questions as simple as possible.

1) For the first week I need to find my max weight for (Monday-15 reps Wed-10 and Fri-5 reps).
2) Take about 9 days off
3) Each rep range (15-10-5-5) will get 2 weeks. Do I keep the same weight for each rep range for each 2 week cycle? If my max for 15 reps is 100, do I keep 100 pouds for 2 weeks? If I do two sets of dumbbell presses for my chest, do I keep the weight the same for both sets?
4) After completing my cycle, I take another 9 days off and restart the same cycle. I have the option of using different exrcises or I can keep the same.
5)The new cycle will have a 5%-10% increase for all rep ranges.
6) What happens after a few cycles and I see that I can't really add more weight? Then what do I do? How many cycles do I do?

Thanks for any help

sacredsystem

Hi,

I am told compound exercises are your best choices. How many isolated exercises in my program would work best? I am trying to figure out which exercises would prevent me from overlapping with other exercises. Here are the exercises I have selected. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Dumbbell Bench Press
Flyes
One Arm Rows
Bent Over Row
Alternating Dumbbell Curlss
EZ Bar Curls
Hammer Curls
Military Press
Arnold Press
Upright Rows
Side Lateral Raises
Squats
Calf Raises

take care,

sacredsystem

I'm not an expert, but from the posts/faqs i've read I'd pick:

DB (BB if you could) Bench
Bent-over rows
E-Z or BB curls
Military press (arnold is ok too, but military allows more weight)
Squats
Calf Raises

then I'd add:
SLDL, as you have nothing for your posterior chain (?-i mean hams and low back) really aside from squats
Lat pulldowns/Chins
Dips

if you do dips and 2 presses, you shouldn't need any more tricep work imho, but pushdowns or extensions are good.

basically what I've read seems to say that doing the exercise in the way that allows for the most weight to be utilized safely is best for loading the muscles, therefore barbells over dumbbells, and compound exercises. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Back