HST Log

Good point Jv

I have been increasing the load by up to 10 pound increments when I could and it has just taken it toll, that is why I back the sets back down on my expierement, and it looks like as I get closer to my heavy heavy maxes..i will half to back the sets down once again.

Its weird for the past 3 months I watched what I ate extremely close had my calories restricted and prob didnt get the protein that i needed every day but I got down to 8 % bodyfat which was a first for me in many years. Now I have started back eating like a horse and I have gained about 4 pounds but my muscle look much much fuller. the waiste is a little bigger but not too bad, I know that I cant keep eating bad food in this large amounts of quantity and it not catch up with me but I swear it does make the lifting easier?

Any science you could add to that?

Joe

Not much. Like Bryan told Dan, everybody's got to manage his own training.

Determine your individual capacity so learn to pay attention to your body. Eat right. Too much protein is bad. Too little fat is bad. Get the right amounts of each. Trans fats are the devil's work, along with the high saturated fats and high cholesterol combo.

If you feel you are doing too much, cut back. If you feel you can start doing more, add more. If you feel you are getting too tired, cut back again. It's all check and balance. Nobody's expecting anybody to get it perfect.

Totally agree. And not to bash the importance of protein b/c we all know it is a great staple of our diet. However I agree with you 200% on the too much protein. I feel the truth be known even for the serious lifter we dont require as much protein as we think we do. More a matter of timing of the protien. Just my opinion though!

:D

Yeah that was one thing I noticed that was over-exagerrated in the weight training field - amount of protein. Through a week, I average anywhere between 115-170 grams of protein per day, and I weigh 190. Even if I get 70 grams or so, as long as I get it before and after my workout, that's all I need right?

Anyways - it was my first day of the 5's. I average caloric intake last week was 2956 per day which is slightly under maintenance. My muscles don't have that full look. I am in college, and I am pulling myself out of debt right now, so I probably will be cutting this week and next week of my 5's - not a good thing, but I guess I could shed the body fat%.

Today
3x Chins - 80
3x Dips - 150
2x Shoulder Press - 70
2x Calf Raises - 160
1x Broomstick Twists - 90
2x SLDL - 120
2x Shrugs - 160
2x IsoWide Chest Press - 140

I didn't do Leg Press since I am recovering from a bruised groin via football this weekend. I also didn't do pulley crunches because the gym was crowded.

Another question, I never tested my 3RM for exercises, and never done exercises in that rep range at all. What % increase should I do from my 5RM to 3RM?

Thanks,
Colby

2nd day of 5's.. actually performed all exercises and went well, did 4 sets of dips. My bodyfat percentage is getting closer to 13% again and I am up to 195, so that in my mind is GREAT.

I think I am going to start doing cardio after I hit up the grocery store next week.

Bumping question from before:
I never tested my 3RM for exercises, and never done exercises in that rep range at all. What % increase should I do from my 5RM to 3RM?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I never tested my 3RM for exercises, and never done exercises in that rep range at all. What % increase should I do from my 5RM to 3RM?
There isn't a great difference in weight between your 5RM and 3RM. Try maybe around 5% and cluster if necessary.

Completed my third day of the 5's. I definitely think I will retest my maxes after this cycle for a few reasons:

Chins, Shoulders, Calfs - the weight feels too low even halfway through a microcycle
Shrugs, Leg Press - it's not that I can't complete the exercise, but I may be sacrificing some form (more so the shrugs) and I would like to re-evaluate

That's half my workout that I don't feel is right, and since I haven't formally tested my maxes since June, I am not surprised by this.

Diet as of last week went alright. :confused:

Average/day: 2953 kcals, which is slightly above maintenace
going 27/37/20/16 for percent intake (F/C/P/A)

The average between my measured and estimated weight through last week was 196 at 13.05% bodyfat. I started the cycle at 191 at 13.16% bf.
:) :D

My goal by the end of next year or who knows - maybe earlier is 200 at sub10% bf. All in all, I think the muscle memory gains are at a halt as I started the year off at 215-22%bf which is almost 168lbs of lean mass - I am now back over that number at 170.5lbs of lean mass.

I'm ready to take it to the next level.
tounge.gif

-Colby

My 4th day of 5's went amazing, did it in this order...

2x Stiff Leg Deadlift (Smith) - 160
2x Shrugs (Smith) - 200
1x Leg Press - 570
3x Dips - 210
2x Chins - 110
3x Pulley Crunches - 140
2x Iso-Shoulders - 80
2x Iso Wide Chest Press - 180
2x Calf Raises - 200
2x Broomstick Twists - 120

I did metabolic sets for SLDL, shrugs, and two for leg presses. Oh... and I am making 540 my 5RM for leg press, like I said in the last post...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Shrugs, Leg Press - it's not that I can't complete the exercise, but I may be sacrificing some form (more so the shrugs) and I would like to re-evaluate

crazy.gif

I spread the word of HST to a friend I saw at the gym today too. I know he listened since the last time he saw me, I had 10 lbs less muscle on me!

-Colby

bodyfat% is in the 12's now :)

finished my last day of 5's

I think for the next two weeks - and then in my next cycle which will be a small one that is three weeks long, I will do the following exercises:

Chins
Dips
Iso-Wide Chest Press
SL Deadlift
Leg Press
Pulley Crunches
Seated Rows

For the next week and a half - I will do a mixture of 3's, 5RM, more progression, metabolic sets, and clustering or drop sets for those exercises.

In general - for the next two cycles - I am only going compound. My arms are lagging - only 15.5 inches
butbut.gif
so hopefully the idea will work.

-Colby

Sounds like you've had a productive cycle, Colby. Props!

I've seen nice progress with my compounds-only cycle. Arms and calves didn't grow (they didn't shrink either!) but everything else did. It was one of my best cycles yet--I recommend it.

Gripstrength - your arms didn't grow? I find that odd since the whole point of dropping the iso's was that I had enough arm work in all the compound exercises. I need arm growth more than other muscle!
butbut.gif

My first day of post-5's went better than expected. the 15's were added as metabolic work, and I actually didn't do any threes except for one exercise as I made 5 reps without trouble.

3x - [5's] - Pulley Crunches - 180
2x - [5's] - Shoulder Press - 100
2x - [15's] - Leg Press - 340
2x - [5's] - Leg Press - 540
1x - [3's] - Broomstick Twists - 160
1x - [15's] - SLDL - 90
2X - [5's] - SLDL - 150
1x - [15's] - Iso-Wide Chest Press - 90
2x - [5's] - Iso-Wide Chest Press - 150
1x - [15's] - Chins - 80
2X - [5's] - Chins - 110
1x - [15's] - Dips - 90
2x - [5's] - Dips - 180

Workout lasted an hour - it looks like that was too many of sets of 15's added, but they were used as a warmup more or less, and that was for my 5 main compound exercises.

I did this last night, and today my body is telling me that I had a hell of a workout.

-Colby

Nope, unfortunately I made no arms gains during my last cycle. They stayed put--still thick and hard, thanks to the compounds, but not bigger. Same thing happened with my calves, which also got no direct work. It was the first cycle during which I didn't gain anything on those parts.

This tells me that I need at least some isolation work to keep the pipes growing. I'm going to re-introduce biceps curls and french presses in a very limited fashion during my next cycle--just a couple of sets each per week.

It was still a productive cycle--one of my best yet. I'm going to continue doing mostly compound work. Switching things up every cycle is teaching me a lot about what works (for me, anyway) and what doesn't.

I get what you're saying, because I have heard people have their best arm gains from doing compounds only - it depends on you. I am going to start taking measurements of my arms (since that's where I am lagging.) I'm sure once I finally start taking creatine in a couple weeks then that will help a little bit too.

-Colby

Last week I ate a lot more than my typical 300kcal above mainteance.. I averaged 3957kcal with 157g of protein. I am now 196.5 at .1268bf% :) This is my last week of the cycle, and the results were great. I did a lot reading - and posting this autumn and I have learned a lot. I hit a milestone today... 200 lbs at .125. It was later in the day, so I know I had some extra water weight, but nevertheless that's the first time I have been weighed at 200 lbs since the middle of March.

Thanks for all the help and comments guys.

-Colby

I haven't taken any measurements - I may do that in my 4th cycle. I feel as if my arms are lagging and I measured my left arm 15.5 inches the other day.

Height: 6"2'
192lbs AT .133bf% at the beginning of the cycle..
and my stats for the end of this past week were 196.5 at .1268bf%.

The weight that I list is actually an average of the seven measured body weights that week. In my excel sheet, I have an estimated weight based on caloric balance, bf%, and previous body weight measurements, and it gave me a number of 197.25 which was .25 under my 7th body weight measurement...

Sorry to confuse with all that statistical rambling.. the point is that by the end of this week, the gains from this cycle will be a bit higher than what I listed.. about a 5 lb gain of lean body mass while lowering bodyfat. In the first cycle - I put on 9 lbs of lbm.. but I cited that to muscle memory for being so high, so the results of my 2nd cycle went with my expectations. :)

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Posted on Nov. 15 2005,1:30
Strength gains then? :)

I will know for sure once I re-test my RM's, but as I said before I was going to do 3's for the post 5's... but I didn't do a set of 3's until today - which is my 4th day of post 5's, and that set was my 2nd set for chins. Needless to say, my strength gains have been great as I am progressing past my estimated RM's.

-Colby

It's not even worth it to call my three weeks of training after Thanksgiving a cycle unless I was going 912, but I am not. Adding those four weeks (including the one week SD) will make it a 13 week cycle. Wow :D

This week: finish up post5's/3's
Next week: monday, lift - take the next 6 days off
11/27-12/3: one week of 5's
12/4-12/10: progress on 5's again
12/11-12/17: post5's/3's

During this cycle, I didn't make gains during my last week of 10's and through my 5's because I wasn't eating enough.. I averaged kcals slightly under or at maintenance.. kept the lean mass and lowered the bf%.. this time I will make sure I eat more.

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Nov. 15 2005,3:21)]During this cycle, I didn't make gains during my last week of 10's and through my 5's because I wasn't eating enough.. I averaged kcals slightly under or at maintenance.. kept the lean mass and lowered the bf%.. this time I will make sure I eat more.
Well I said I wasn't eating enough and gains were limited. In the past two weeks (negs), I ate 800kcal above maintenace - more like bulking than my normal eat slightly above mainteance routine. Well, it worked! Averaged out last week at 198.43 at 12.68% bf.

The next short term goal is 200 at 12%. Thanks HST
happy.gif

I am lifting tomorrow for my last day of negs-part one, and will then take 6 days off for Thanksgiving, come back and do 5's with the new RM's and negs for three weeks.

I swear I have some of the longest cycles for guys on here.

-Colby

Back