HST/Wernbom Experiment

8 weeks in.
198-206 pounds, gained 8 pounds.

r. arm 15 7/8"-16 1/8" gained 1/4"
chest 43"-44" gained 1"
waist 35.5"-36" gained 1/2"
hips 2=35.25"-36.5" gained 1.25"
thigh: 25"-25.5" gained 1/2"
calf: 15.5"-15.5" no change...:( frickin genetics...

I want a bit more on the chest before I stop bulking.... 45" would be nice, but any gain is welcome.

I'll be interested to see the magnitude of drop from high volume to lower volume training.

My thighs are swelling like crazy on 5-6 days per week and the compound frequency. I have this niggling feeling that they'll deflate back down if and when the frequency reduces.

Yeah, that would explain my swollen body measurements, compared to my relatively little weight gain. Could be swollen tissue, and in my case heavy sarcoplasmic hypertrophy from all the volume...
It's time to ramp up to some heavy stuff and see where I can take my strength levels too... It seems like the brute strength level type hypertrophy lasts the longest... More fiber growth and bone density, etc.

I have been staying fairly light for the high volume program.

Now it's time to start going heavier and see where I am at.

Cable Row: 100x15, 180x6, 180x10, 200x8

Pulldown: 220x7, 200x8, 180x7

Bench Press: 115x15, 185x8, 225x8, 245x5

Seated Press: 115x8, 125x8, 135x5

All without spotter, didn't got to failure, stopped a rep or two shy. Everything felt really light, It looks like I'll be hitting some PRs very soon.

Last edited:
Gonna end the "experiment" for now. I just am too busy to keep my training and diet controlled enough for a hardcore hypertrophy program experiment.

My wife wants to lose some body fat, and I'm on board with her as support (being as we share groceries and meals). So I'll be focusing on a healthy high-fiber, low fat diet, and training for maintenance/fun.

Today tried to bench until failure just for fun.
Got 225 for 7 reps

Something I like to do for fun is just pyramid up strength wise using singles. I do it for bench every now and then. And then do a work-set around 5-7 reps afterwards. It's a bitch for squats, but great for anything when the bar isn't on your back!

Something I like to do for fun is just pyramid up strength wise using singles. I do it for bench every now and then. And then do a work-set around 5-7 reps afterwards. It's a bitch for squats, but great for anything when the bar isn't on your back!

I am working my way up to that. I want to bench 275x1 very soon, and then work up to 275x5 a month or two down the road.
When I started training in 2012, my right shoulder was all imbalanced and I couldn't flat bench without bad impingement. After 1.5 years of stretching and strengthening my shoulders, I can now flat bench pain free. So, I am excited to really train hard on the bench, and all pressing in general.

I have to say that strict rows, and reverse Flyes and working on my rotator cuff and scapular retractors has made a huge difference on my shoulder.

Strict cable rows or machine reverse Flyes have been the best.

Back