Hunger and calorie intake!!!!!

VIPER

I was wondering if any of you guys have issues with being hungry while eating a sufficient amount of calories while bulking. I can seriously eat just about all day long if I wanted too. When I eat big meals I feel perfectly satisfied, but I wait for like 30 minutes or so and bam I'm hungry again. I watch my calories and am currently try to gain some mass, but the question is: Do you think my body is trying to tell me to eat more, or does my body just have a relatively fast metabolism? I weigh about 168-169#'s(maybe more now because the scale at the gym has been broken for a week or so) and am eating around 3000 calories per day.

It might be what you're eating, not how much. I know I always feel hungry as hell not too long after I eat a meal heavy in carbs, unless it's ultra heavy in carbs in which case I pass out. I also remember reading once that your body doesn't just hunger for raw calories but specific things. If you need this or that nutrient and it's not present in what you're eating perhaps your body will react by still being hungry. Making sure your meals are big but balanced as well if you're not already doing this might be a good idea. And if all that fails, maybe you are just not eating enough.

Wow, quick reply thanks. Yeah my meals are pretty well balanced. I try not to get to complicated though, but I do eat a breakup of simple and complex carbs, and I am eating pretty clean as well, which I wasn't doing as stricly on the last few bulking cycles. But, the nutrient thing you brought up is insteresting, I'll try to look at my diet some more.

how about protein intake in each meal ?
also how much fat do you eat in each meal ?
protein is known as appetite suppresent in short time after the meal, and fat is responsible for the same thing in long run (between meals)

VIPER, you have to overcome any hunger messages from your body if you are going to change the way you look. The messages that the body sends are not always towards good health. How do you think people become fat ? I am about the same, I would be satisfied with 4500-5000 kcals per day, when my maintenance is about 2700, including all my workouts. Of course if I was just following my body's messages then I would be ultra-fat.

I have tried various things to suppress my appetite, and they don't help much. I have learned to live with hunger, which in fact is not such a bad thing. I have even learned to appreciate *some* aspects of it, for example it makes me feel more energetic and "alive".

I always found it strange that contrary to the consensus, fat intake does not suppress my appetite. Recently I read some studies showing that the real appetite suppressor is high protein. Yet others, will tell you it is the low carbs. Frustrating, eh ? After a lot of experimenting, I have finally come to the conclusion that at least for me, the appetite suppressor is the protein/carbs ratio. A high said ratio will suppress my appetite pretty well, but it does nothing for the cravings... Ah, well...

Adding some cardio in order to burn 700-800 kcals on top of everything else, will allow me to eat 700-800 kcals more, wich is very good for my appetite. Unfortunately, such cardio is not possible or desirable every day.

Bulky low energy foods (like vegetables) will also help, but not much.

The most important thing however, is your attitude towards it. Read a lot about the symptoms of dieting. Notice how your body reacts, what makes you hungry and what makes you forget about food. It becomes easier to control it when you know exactly the whys and hows.

I find my best friend in the battle against hunger is vitamins and water. Water fills me up, and the vitamins help against my body craving stuff. I also like to eat a little salt every now and then...for some reason this removes my cravings for sweets :confused:

Thats for all the replies people. And micmic thats good to know someone esle is same way, haha. Being hungry really doesn't bother me, but I had to ask to see if that was a definite signal that I am eating to little. As long as I'm gaining muscle at the calories I'm eating than I being hunger means nothing to me, so I'll judge it by that for the most part. Thanks again people!! Later

Your prob is too many carbs, stick some no carb meals in there. Do this, go to your deli and have them slice you up a pound of turkey or ham or chicken or roast beef, get a scale if you count calories, roll 3 oz of that up into a fruit rollup type shape, then wrap two slices of kraft singles around it. Eat it. Or melt it in the microwave then eat it. High protein and about 2 carbs. You wont be hungry again for about 4 hours at least. Low carb high protein meals tend to curb hunger naturally, and take it from me, my appetite is HUGE and I have massive cravings issues. So this helps me when I'm cutting. Plus it just tastes good, and with a diet sprite you can't lose.

But if you're bulking, why bother? eat eat eat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ Feb. 25 2004,6:13)]Your prob is too many carbs, stick some no carb meals in there. Do this, go to your deli and have them slice you up a pound of turkey or ham or chicken or roast beef, get a scale if you count calories, roll 3 oz of that up into a fruit rollup type shape, then wrap two slices of kraft singles around it. Eat it. Or melt it in the microwave then eat it. High protein and about 2 carbs. You wont be hungry again for about 4 hours at least. Low carb high protein meals tend to curb hunger naturally, and take it from me, my appetite is HUGE and I have massive cravings issues. So this helps me when I'm cutting. Plus it just tastes good, and with a diet sprite you can't lose.
But if you're bulking, why bother? eat eat eat.
Good call Mindwraith!!! Meat and cheese is one of the best tasting things known to man in my opinion. I'll definetely try doing this more often. Thanks.

Back