I hate inclined bench... should i use reverse grip flat instead?

Wouldn't reverse grip bench, being mainly a tricep exercise, serve as a poor substitute for incline bench? ..Why not just conv. bench?

i do flat bench. but if you google reverse grip benchpress you'll see that theres research stating it works your upper chest more than incline does.

no reason in particular for why i hate it. It just feels awkward

i do flat bench. but if you google reverse grip benchpress you'll see that theres research stating it works your upper chest more than incline does.
I've never used reverse grip, but I find this a little hard to belive, as the weight used must be substantially lower?
It might well be true if the same weight is used, though.. Do you have a specific link I/we could have a look at?

Other than that, flat bench is enough IMO. I you want more chest, just add more sets.

I've never used reverse grip, but I find this a little hard to belive, as the weight used must be substantially lower?
It might well be true if the same weight is used, though.. Do you have a specific link I/we could have a look at?

Other than that, flat bench is enough IMO. I you want more chest, just add more sets.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_11_27/ai_n42794110/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-anatomy-of-the-chest.htm

and i read it in a 'FLEX' magazine

Last edited:
Thanks.. I'll just quote the important part for furher discussion.

EVIDENCE
* Australian researchers reported in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research that when weight-trained subjects performed incline bench presses, the muscle activity of their upper pecs was only about 5% more than the muscle activity of their upper pecs during the flat bench press.
* Canadian scientists found that when trained lifters did the reverse-grip bench press, the muscle activity of their upper pecs was 30% greater than when they did the bench press with a standard overhand grip.

VERDICT: REVERSE-GRIP BENCH PRESSES Since muscle activity is the measurement of how many muscle fibers are being used during an exercise, reverse-grip bench presses appear to be a better exercise for the upper chest than incline bench presses.

I would dare the statement, that all fibers of the chest are activated durring both flat and inclide bench. Regardless of which fibers are more "active" (not sure what is ment by active) it is the load on the individual fiber, that is responsible for the most damage. (leading to hypertrophy). If the loads in these lifts where comparable, then this conclusion would be relavant.. Else not.

By this logic Flys would be better than Bench Press, and we all know thats not true.

Last edited:
IMHO the most important thing is to pick a horizontal press that you "click" with and just go with it. Incline, flat, decline- it doesn't really matter which it is; just that it "fits" you, get's you excited to do it, and that it's something you can progress in load on.

Back