I'm New, Please help me get started on to the HST Program

I really dont understand why I have to chose 2 exercises for legs and back and 1 exercises for all other parts.
You don't have to choose two exercises for legs and back and one for all other parts. You don't. There have been many suggestions made about which exercises to choose, but mainly you are free to do pretty much whatever you want.

The main thing is to increase the load each workout, and to workout frequently -- two or three times per week (some guys do even more). After eight weeks, take a break.

There is a thread called "Simplify & Win" on this site. Take a long look at it; it will help you.

To simplify your program, you might want to drop out the stuff for biceps, triceps, and traps. Your squat, bench, row, and overhead press are plenty.

Ok I make this very simple. Please have a look a I have chsoen mainly compound exercises. I have a total of 6 exercises to run for my first 8 week program. I will use this to learn more into it while the time goes pass.

Exercises:

Squats
Bench
Deadlifts
Shoulder Press
Bicep curls
Tricep Extensions

I know some people mantione don this forum that they cant train squats 3 times per week. But I want to find out for myself and see if this method does bring any muscle gain to my body. I have decided to use all 6 exercises for 3 times perweek and in a full 8 week program after I ahve workoed out my maxes.

I know soem would disagree and say take the bicep and tris out.but I really wnat to see what the extra reps and sets can do the to the muscle frame on my arms. As so far the theory of the program does feel liek its going to work.

Please take a looka nd let em know what you think. I am going in today to find out my 15 rep maxes for the above exercises>>

Just got back from the gym and have worked out my 15 rep maxes for the exercises. They seem quite less then I could have normally achieved. But this week been very lazy and tried have a heavy lifting job aswell.

so here are my maxes below..

Squats 80kg = 15

Bench press 70kg = 15

Deadlifts 90kg = 15

Shoulder press standing 50kg = 15

Bicep curls 30kg = 15

Tricep extension on rack 30kg =15

What do you think low right?

So I take 1 day off tommarow then go in staurdaya nd do the same using slightly more weight and achive the 10 rep max right??

Let me know thanks

I appreciate you help guys..

I don't think those numbers are low at all, especially after considering your "excuses" :) IMO knowing your RM's is simply to give you a baseline to work with. My goals for the end of each two-week macrocycle is to use at least 5-10% more weight than my RM, or best weight during my last HST cycle, and to hit failure on the 15th, 10th, or 5th rep as the case may be. Knowing my RMs in advance basically helps me set up the weights for the first couple workouts, but after that I'm going by how I feel, frequently taking larger, sometimes smaller, increments from workout to workout than predicted, but always looking to hit my two main goals. Using this approach, I often beat my RM by more than 10%. This suggests that RM testing protocols need to be more clearly defined, at least to me.

I'm not sure if there is a written protocol for determining RM's, though there are volumes written about finding 1RM. but I don't think I could hit my 10RM two days after testing 15's. Personally, I only test my 10RM's, and that only on exercises I haven't done in a while. I use the various calculators on line to estimate my RM's for the 5's and 15's.

I don't think those numbers are low at all, especially after considering your "excuses" :) IMO knowing your RM's is simply to give you a baseline to work with. My goals for the end of each two-week macrocycle is to use at least 5-10% more weight than my RM, or best weight during my last HST cycle, and to hit failure on the 15th, 10th, or 5th rep as the case may be. Knowing my RMs in advance basically helps me set up the weights for the first couple workouts, but after that I'm going by how I feel, frequently taking larger, sometimes smaller, increments from workout to workout than predicted, but always looking to hit my two main goals. Using this approach, I often beat my RM by more than 10%. This suggests that RM testing protocols need to be more clearly defined, at least to me.

I'm not sure if there is a written protocol for determining RM's, though there are volumes written about finding 1RM. but I don't think I could hit my 10RM two days after testing 15's. Personally, I only test my 10RM's, and that only on exercises I haven't done in a while. I use the various calculators on line to estimate my RM's for the 5's and 15's.

I was thinking the same thing after finding out your 15 rep maxes and then taking 1 day off then going back in next day to find out your 10 rep maxes would really be difficult?

Exercises:

Squats
Bench
Deadlifts
Shoulder Press
Bicep curls
Tricep Extensions
Not a bad selection of exercises. Compounds tend to give more bang for the buck.

I think you'll find after bit that squats and deads in the same workout three times weekly may be too much. Give it a shot; see what you think. You may change your mind when the weights start getting heavy.

Alternatively, you might want to consider an "A" and "B" sort of program, with squats in one workout and deads in another. That would cut your heavy lifts in half (and even then some folks might think it's too much).

When I first started working out, I did squats and deads on the same day, split between an AM and a PM session. However, once things started to get heavy I had to modify that.

Biceps and Triceps exercises are fun. Some call them "Beach Exercises": they make your arms look good. I tend to prefer chins and dips.

Good luck. Have fun. Start a log and keep us posted.

Not a bad selection of exercises. Compounds tend to give more bang for the buck.

I think you'll find after bit that squats and deads in the same workout three times weekly may be too much. Give it a shot; see what you think. You may change your mind when the weights start getting heavy.

Alternatively, you might want to consider an "A" and "B" sort of program, with squats in one workout and deads in another. That would cut your heavy lifts in half (and even then some folks might think it's too much).

When I first started working out, I did squats and deads on the same day, split between an AM and a PM session. However, once things started to get heavy I had to modify that.

Biceps and Triceps exercises are fun. Some call them "Beach Exercises": they make your arms look good. I tend to prefer chins and dips.

Good luck. Have fun. Start a log and keep us posted.

Thanks mate I truley do believe as weights get heavier squats and deadlifts in the samer workout would be too much. could youi explain How I can arrange the exercises above as a A-B split.

Is it like Week1 monday you train A / wednesday B / friday-A
Week 2 Monday-B/ wednesday A/ Friday- B

Totally Incredible

I knew straight away the day I did my 15 rep maxes something was wrong I was definately feeling weak. To prove it I have achieved better stat records today.
Today I wnet in and did my above exercises and maxed out at 10 reps so here it is below:

Squats 90kg = 10

Bench press 90kg = 10

Deadlifts 110kg = 10

Shoulder press standing 60kg = 10

Bicep curls 40kg = 10

Tricep extension on rack 35kg =10 was too easy I should have increased it abit.

As you can see the only set back for today was Squats as I really thought I would have achieved 100kg for 10 reps but instead felt 90kg was goin to do it for me today. Bench press and deadlifts jumped back to normal by 20kg increase from last max workout. I dont think this is a strength increase I think this is the avaerage weight I lift so knew I can and should be able to achieve it. What do you guys think.

Totally Incredible

I knew straight away the day I did my 15 rep maxes something was wrong I was definately feeling weak. To prove it I have achieved better stat records today.
Today I wnet in and did my above exercises and maxed out at 10 reps so here it is below:

Squats 90kg = 10

Bench press 90kg = 10

Deadlifts 110kg = 10

Shoulder press standing 60kg = 10

Bicep curls 40kg = 10

Tricep extension on rack 35kg =10 was too easy I should have increased it abit.

As you can see the only set back for today was Squats as I really thought I would have achieved 100kg for 10 reps but instead felt 90kg was goin to do it for me today. Bench press and deadlifts jumped back to normal by 20kg increase from last max workout. I dont think this is a strength increase I think this is the avaerage weight I lift so knew I can and should be able to achieve it. What do you guys think.

Nice work! Your lifts are very respectable. You will do very well with HST, I expect.

Nice work! Your lifts are very respectable. You will do very well with HST, I expect.

Thanks mate..

I think I will definately be doing a log on this HST when I start the proper program?

I would like to ask I read for some exercises you ahve to do 1-2 sets on main working weight/set.

For all my Exercises I will be doing 1 set to failure is this still ok?

How do I know which exercise to do 2 sets if i wanted to etc?

also When I put the figures ion the HST calulator it comes up like this below: for example on the 15 rep my max was 80kg?

Squats
1 -----2 ------3 -----4 ------5------ 6
30kg --40kg -50kg --60kg --70kg --80kg

The above is a example and it shows the weight incrementing by 10kg each workout.

So does this mean for workout 1 i do my max set for 15 reps using 30kg weight. That would be seriously light. But is this how you do it?

Thanks mate..

I think I will definately be doing a log on this HST when I start the proper program?

I would like to ask I read for some exercises you ahve to do 1-2 sets on main working weight/set.

For all my Exercises I will be doing 1 set to failure is this still ok?

How do I know which exercise to do 2 sets if i wanted to etc?

also When I put the figures ion the HST calulator it comes up like this below: for example on the 15 rep my max was 80kg?

Squats
30kg --40kg -50kg --60kg --70kg --80kg

The above is a example and it shows the weight incrementing by 10kg each workout.

So does this mean for workout 1 i do my max set for 15 reps using 30kg weight. That would be seriously light. But is this how you do it?

Number of sets: I don't know what you read about doing 2 sets on some things and 1 set on others. There is no rule that I know of regarding this. Most people do 1 set for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, and 3 sets for 5s - the same number of sets for every exercise.

Repping to failure: You only go to failure (or not quite to failure - I try to stay one rep short of failure) once every two weeks - session #6.

Light weights: You could either keep it that way and just concentrate on form during the earlier sessions or you could make the increments smaller (5kg for big lifts and 2.5kg for small lifts). Either way, you are going to have some easier sessions in the beginning of each 2 week phase. I usually appreciate the easier sessions. They help with recovery and help my body prepare for heavier weights.

Last edited:
Number of sets: I don't know what you read about doing 2 sets on some things and 1 set on others. There is no rule that I know of regarding this. Most people do 1 set for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, and 3 sets for 5s - the same number of sets for every exercise.

Repping to failure: You only go to failure (or not quite to failure - I try to stay one rep short of failure) once every two weeks - session #6.

Light weights: You could either keep it that way and just concentrate on form during the earlier sessions or you could make the increments smaller (5kg for big lifts and 2.5kg for small lifts). Either way, you are going to have some easier sessions in the beginning of each 2 week phase. I usually appreciate the easier sessions. They help with recovery and help my body prepare for heavier weights.

Hi yes, this is what I meant, Most people do 1 set for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, and 3 sets for 5s

So for example weeks 3-4 working on 10 rep max. for quts I do 2 sets using same weight which is 90kg. as that my curent 10 rep max for squats?

I think that might be hard to achieve right as you will be using same weight twice for same reps. I dont know if I can achieve 10 reps the second time round in workout 6 week 4 where I will be using 90kg. (90kg is my 10 rep maxe as i have worked out last workout). sorry if I confused you..

Yeah I agree i should make it 2.5kg increase each workout for smaller muscles and 5kg for bigger?

By the way just checked at the HST calculator it doesnt let you put in 2.5.. So what should I do?

Take the 5kg increment numbers and divide them by 2. Or take the 10kg increment numbers and divide them by 4.

As for your other question: if you can do 1 set of 10 you have succeeded at that weight. Rest. Try it again. If you get 10 more, high five. If you only get 8, just put the bar down and either a) do two more reps after another short rest; or b) move on to the next lift. Either way, you will see gains.

Take the 5kg increment numbers and divide them by 2. Or take the 10kg increment numbers and divide them by 4.

As for your other question: if you can do 1 set of 10 you have succeeded at that weight. Rest. Try it again. If you get 10 more, high five. If you only get 8, just put the bar down and either a) do two more reps after another short rest; or b) move on to the next lift. Either way, you will see gains.

Ok so for it says 2 sets of 10 reps and 3 sets of 5 reps I usethe same weight for all my max rep for that week. and then use the principle above like you mentioned rest and try to schieve what i couldnt do first time round?

Could you explin this part:

Take the 5kg increment numbers and divide them by 2. Or take the 10kg increment numbers and divide them by 4..

So for example in the HST calculator I enter 5kg but this is meant to be 2.5 right. and the figures show as below:

Bench at 15 reps

30kg --35kg -40kg --45kg --50kg --55kg

So for workout 1 i divide 30kg by 2 is that right? so for my first set I will be maxing out at 15kg?

Ok so for it says 2 sets of 10 reps and 3 sets of 5 reps I usethe same weight for all my max rep for that week. and then use the principle above like you mentioned rest and try to schieve what i couldnt do first time round?

So for example in the HST calculator I enter 5kg but this is meant to be 2.5 right. and the figures show as below:

Bench at 15 reps

So for workout 1 i divide 30kg by 2 is that right? so for my first set I will be maxing out at 15kg?

You do not max out every workout. You max out every 6th workout. If your max is 27.5kg for 10 reps, lifting 15kg for 10 reps is not maxing out. Maxing out at 10 reps requires that you lift with a weight that you can only lift 10 times.

Bench at 15 reps

No. 2.5kg is your increment. So if your target weight for your last workout of the macrocycle is 55kg, you then subtract 2.5kg for each workout before: 42.5, 45, 47.5, 50, 52.5, 55.

To expand on what WD said about weights, I agree that if you cannot do ten reps on your second or third sets, you have the option of doing as many reps as you can just short of failure and stopping, or taking a short pause and finishing the set. Conversely, if you can do ten reps easily on your first or second sets, and you can tell it will still be easy on subsequent sets, you can always add another increment, or do extra reps. Now, if a set is easy because your form is sloppy, don't even think about more weight until this is fixed. Even super light weights will stimulate growth if your form is perfect and you're focused on contracting as many fibers in the working muscle as possible.

Just got back from the gym, I went in today to work out may 5 rep maxes on the exercoses below.

Squats 110kg = 5

Bench press 10kg = 5

Deadlifts 130kg = 5

Shoulder press standing 70kg = 5

Bicep curls 50kg = 5

Tricep extension on rack 45kg =5

Now that I have a record of all my 1 rep maxes. Its time to group things Up. Can I get some help on this please..

Ok as I remeber it says to train each body exercises 3 times per week. So In a A-B split it would look like something below. Correct me if you think the exercises chosen wount go alongside each other. I do not have any choice but to do a A-B split as this would take me atlest 2hours 3 times a week as sometimes i would have to wait for equipment. Therefore if I break it down to 2 groups it would be easier for me to complete.

Group A
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Tricep extension on rack

Group B
Squats
Deadlifts
Bicep curls

Saturday A
Sunday B
Monday A
Tuesday B
Wednesday A
Thursday B
Friday Rest

I would have prefered only training 3 times per week but there is alot of work to do in 3 workouts. So training 6 times a week would suit me apart from only getting 1 day rest. I hope my CNS doesnt break down.

Also when I get to weeks 3-4 and 5-6 I will be doing like 2 sets of 10 nd 3 sets of 5 reps emaning it will take alot more time if i did everything togther.

One last question. is there a ideal rest time which I should be taking? I currently take 3 mins between warmup sets and 5 mins before my main working set.

What do you think of my split?

I would definitely not do the split that way. It would work better to do a push/pull split or just fullbody each time and alternate exercises. I would probably go with something closer to the following:

A
Bench Press
Triceps
Squats

B
Shoulder Press
Biceps
Deadlift

Mainly because I think that doing squats and deads in the same workout will mean you cannot dedicate yourself wholly to one or the other. One of the two will be compromised due to the other lift. I also always do deadlifts last. I don't know about you, but after deadlifts, there is no way I am doing anything else that day.

I would consider keeping some of the exercises each time, however. Probably what I would do is more like this:

A
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Triceps
Squats

B
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Biceps
Deadlift

I think that split would be a little more favorable.

Back