Incoming newbie

Hello Fausto,

Thanks again,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It is not that d/b's are wrong no, but with the bar you can load a lot more than 14 Kg. Your first target should be to squat the same amount as your bodyweight including the bar but excluding your own weight.

It just does not make sense that some of your upper body lifts are almost the same as your squat [Military press: 14 + 14 = 28kg], either your legs are incredibly weak or your upper body a lot stronger. For example I military press 1/2 of what I can squat.

You should be squatting 56 Kg easy! But anyhoo let us get you doing it first then we can tackle the rest! </div>

If I squat my own weight + 56Kg + bar (15kg) my spine will probably break at some point
smile.gif
I definitely cannot do that much. Probably my legs are weak (but my upper body is not strong either).

I'll see what I can do with 5 reps.

--

Hi JohnnyH,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you squatted before? When i first did 15 reps (first time squatting) i greatly underestimated what i was capable of, probably just because i wasnt enjoying the feeling but it grows on you
Learning to squat with a barbell is going to be the best idea, your legs will get stronger a lot quicker than your arms will &amp; its good to try and get the technique down early.
You dont really need to directly hit your obliques.
Are you working out at home or at a gym?</div>

Dumbell squats were a part of my previous workout, so Im used to it.

I work out at a gym.
Thanks

Akinu

You have to find your 5 rep max and let us know it. BTW - I mean't 56 Kg including your bar so, 41 Kg say 2 x 20 Kg plates iow two 45 pounder plates.

But if you can't don't sweat it, you will believe me, a whole lot more but maybe we just have to nurture you and help till you can do it!
wink.gif

Cheers

5-rep maximums

Squat: 22,5 + 22,5 plates on an incline press machine (impact of bar very low) = around 45-47kg total

Deadlift: 15kg bar + 20kg + 20kg plates = 55kg

Incline press (15 degrees): 24kg +24kg dumbells = 48kg

Chest dips: 15kg off of bodyweight

Military press: 18 kg + 18 kg dumbells

Upright row: 22kg

Chin-up: own bodyweight (which is 70kg as of today)

Bent over row: 5kg bar + 20 kg + 20 kg plates = 45kg

Lying leg raises: 8kg dumbell between feet

---------------------------------------------

I couldn't do a 5-rep version of crunches. I tried with 20kg plate and I was still doing more. By the way, should I really go for hypertrophy for the abs? I mean, I want them well defined, not big. The 5-rep thing for abs sounds a bit weird. Shall I go for a different approach for ab workout reps?
Thanks

<div>
(faz @ Dec. 18 2006,08:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">just do abs as normal not hst, unless you want large abs
biggrin.gif
</div>
The way my abs really work is with tons of reps with no weight. 400 crunches and 100 leg raises kind...
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat: 22,5 + 22,5 plates on an incline press machine (impact of bar very low) = around 45-47kg total</div>

Why squat on a machine?Just do normal squats, better benefits dude!

<div>
(Fausto @ Dec. 18 2006,15:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat: 22,5 + 22,5 plates on an incline press machine (impact of bar very low) = around 45-47kg total</div>

Why squat on a machine?Just do normal squats, better benefits dude!</div>
I cannot squat with my feet flat on the floor. I cannot balance myself; I keep falling back.

I was using a 3-inch small wooden platform to rest my heels on, but if I do that I cannot hit calves.

Any suggestions?=

akinu: you probably lack a certain amount of hip joint and ankle flexibility aat the moment. Also, until your loads get heavier squats do feel a little unstable. Try doing a flat-footed squat with no weight and you will see what I mean.

My advice is to work on your form until you can keep your balance and find the groove. It might take you a month or so before you start to feel more comfortable but you will get rapidly stronger which will allow you to add weight to the bar, which in turn will help you to feel more stable. It will be worth it in the long run. All the best.

<div>
(akinu @ Dec. 18 2006,16:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Dec. 18 2006,08:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">just do abs as normal not hst, unless you want large abs
biggrin.gif
</div>
The way my abs really work is with tons of reps with no weight. 400 crunches and 100 leg raises kind...  
laugh.gif
</div>
doing 400 crunches and 100 leg-raises will eventually give you back trouble.

20 x20 is enough aswell as the compounds.

doing squats with a peice of wood is no problem as long as it helps
cool.gif

you could try to widen your stance that sometimes helps keep your feet flatter to the floor.

do calfes sepperate or use the wood for calf-raises while the bar is still on your shoulders.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Hi Faz,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">20 x20 is enough aswell as the compounds.</div>

Couldn't understand this one. Do you mean 2 sets of crunches with 20 reps?

And by &quot;compounds&quot; do you mean planks?

hst.jpg

This is the chart for my first HST cycle. All weights are in kilograms. For exercises which need a machine that assists your bodyweight, I have simply subtracted the machine assist KG from my bodyweight KG.

- I will do this split routine on a M/W/F cycle.

- Conclude the workout by 30 minutes of jogging

- On Tuesday/Thursday/Friday, I will do ab work and HIIT for 20 minutes

- Sundays are for rest.

What do you think?

<div>
(akinu @ Dec. 19 2006,14:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hi Faz,

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">20 x20 is enough aswell as the compounds.</div>

Couldn't understand this one. Do you mean 2 sets of crunches with 20 reps?

And by &quot;compounds&quot; do you mean planks?</div>
yes 2 sets of 20 reps crunches and leg-raises.

compounds are squats,deadlifts,bench-press, etc they work the core muscles just by keeping up the weight (balance etc)

doing some planks before you workout is a good idea it sets up your core muscles ready for the deadlifts,squats,etc,

lookin at your chart are you doing only four exercises per workout,if you are that looks
cool.gif
it will give you the chance to use some heavy weights good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ Dec. 20 2006,04:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">lookin at your chart are you doing only four exercises per workout,if you are that looks
cool.gif
 it will give you the chance to use some heavy weights good luck
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
Yep, I will be doing the split routine suggested by Peak_power.

I have dropped from 77 down to to 68 kilograms over the past 2 months. My bodyfat% is also around 12-13% so I guess I have dropped most of the excess fat and am ready to bulk up.

I will stop working out on the 31st and start working out on 15th of January. Can't wait for it.
laugh.gif

I have a concern about not doing any running during the SD. I have spent lots and lots of time conditioning my leg muscles for HIIT and 30-minute running; and even 3-4 days of not running brings down my leg conditioning.

I imagine my leg muscles will be in awful condition after 14 days of SD and most probably I will have to spend at least a month to bring them back to running-level.

I know only walking at a reasonable incline is allowed during deconditioning, but I doubt if it can preserve my running conditioning and I am in a big dilemma here. I have trouble staying lean and thus running is a very important part of my training.

Is it really the case that when I keep running during SD, I will prevent leg muscle hypertrophy when I get onto the program?

<div>
(akinu @ Dec. 24 2006,00:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is it really the case that when I keep running during SD, I will prevent leg muscle hypertrophy when I get onto the program?</div>
No!

<div>
(Lol @ Dec. 23 2006,22:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(akinu @ Dec. 24 2006,00:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is it really the case that when I keep running during SD, I will prevent leg muscle hypertrophy when I get onto the program?</div>
No!</div>
So I can run or HIIT during SD?

Depends what you do for HIIT. If it's just running then I think it'll have very little effect on your next HST cycle. Your calves will take a hammering though but then calves very rarely get a break from working hard as you have to carry your bodyweight around all the time. Just be sure to get enough calories so that you don't start your cycle completely flat and energy depleted.

<div>
(Lol @ Dec. 24 2006,16:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Depends what you do for HIIT. If it's just running then I think it'll have very little effect on your next HST cycle. Your calves will take a hammering though but then calves very rarely get a break from working hard as you have to carry your bodyweight around all the time. Just be sure to get enough calories so that you don't start your cycle completely flat and energy depleted.</div>
Well my typical HIIT session is

2 minutes walking @ 6 km/h
1 minute jogging @ 9 km/h
1 minute sprint @ 14 km/h
2 minutes walking @ 6km/h
2 minutes sprint @ 14km/h

until 20 minutes. Then cooldown.

But, if this is too much, I can just jog at 9km/h for 30 minutes during SD.

I went to a dietician yesterday to get my daily calorie requirement, body fat % etc. Here are the results

Height: 172cm
Weight: 68.2kg
BMI: 23.4

Daily calorie req: 7042kj
                        1683 kcal
Fat%: 17.8%
Fat mass: 12.3 kg
Fat free mass: 56.8 kg

Whole body impedance: 613  _O_

Dietician suggested eating 8 times a day, generally fruit-salad intensive, but she was not a sports dietician so I would rather take your opinions on what kind of a diet I should be following. I will use whey protein powder, so I would be grateful if you could suggest a diet accordingly.

Thanks

Back