Infant Oatmeal!

Falco

I've been looking for an alternative to Drive+ (Sorry Bryan, I was a faithful consumer, but the budget is getting tight these days).

I'm mixing egg & casein protein and then looking for a good, cheap carb to mix in for a post-workout meal. I think I found my solution with infant oatmeal cereal (We just had our second kid, so I had the stuff laying around to try). It mixes real easy with water or milk and is pretty much tasteless; it just thickens up the shake.

Here's the nutrition info:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Per 1/4 Cup (15 g): Total Fat 1 g; Potassium 50 mg; Total Carbohydrate 10 g (Fiber 1 g); Protein 2 g; Calcium; Iron; Vitamin E; Thiamin; Riboflavin; Niacin; Phosphorus; Zinc; Oat Flour; Tri- and Dicalcium Phosphate; Soy Oil-Lecithin; Tocopherols (Vitamin E); Electrolytic Iron; Zinc Sulfate; Niacinamide</div>

I'm using 1/2 cup (so ~20 carbs) mixed with the protein and milk post-workout. The best part is that the stuff is cheap. A box will run you about $3 (15 servings if you double it like I am).

So what do you think? Is this a decent alternative for a man on a budget?

lol good thinking
biggrin.gif

i take A LOT more carbs post even if i was cutting, part of that comes from fruit, dex/malt as well as minute Oatmeal.

i think quick oats are cheaper though arent they? like 3 bucks for one of those big silo things.

Also, where do you get your casein and at what price?

I pretty much want to get my post-w/o protein exclusivly from casein (in milk) but i end up using whey (in milk) just because its half the price.

Not sure if you'd be interested in doing it this way.... but if you use a blender instead of physically shaking it yourself I've found that it mixes in any oats just fine. Pulverizes them.

<div>
(Enigma66 @ Mar. 22 2006,18:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not sure if you'd be interested in doing it this way.... but if you use a blender instead of physically shaking it yourself I've found that it mixes in any oats just fine. Pulverizes them.</div>
Blender would be nice, but I have a 2 year old and a newborn and I work out early in the morning. I'm trying not to make so much noise.
biggrin.gif

Back